rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > rough idle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-13-2003, 03:08 PM   #1
texstar99

rough idle

The idle on my 83 CJ7 258 became rougher and rougher over the last few months to the point I cold not drive it. I replaced the Carter BBD carb with a rebuilt and the jeep ran wonderfully for 24 hours. Today the same old rough idle is back and I barely got it home. I've rechecked the timing, vaccum lines, and connections. The idle mixture screws are out so far they look like they'll fall out of the carb base. When I try to turn them in to an acceptable setting the engine stalls. Then, magically, the engine idles perfectly. I re-adjust the idle speed and idle jets and I jump in and test drive it and it'll run okay for a mile or 2, then we're back to undriveable. It seems to be in a control module or something. There will be a very slight click behind the carb (like a relay or solenoid click) and the idle and engine become rough and eventually stalls. Someone please help. I've disconnected all the vaccum hoses and plugged them off with no improvement. Any ideas?

texstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 09:23 AM   #2
xxxflhrci

Re: rough idle

Quote:
Originally posted by texstar99
The idle on my 83 CJ7 258 became rougher and rougher over the last few months to the point I cold not drive it. I replaced the Carter BBD carb with a rebuilt and the jeep ran wonderfully for 24 hours. Today the same old rough idle is back and I barely got it home. I've rechecked the timing, vaccum lines, and connections. The idle mixture screws are out so far they look like they'll fall out of the carb base. When I try to turn them in to an acceptable setting the engine stalls. Then, magically, the engine idles perfectly. I re-adjust the idle speed and idle jets and I jump in and test drive it and it'll run okay for a mile or 2, then we're back to undriveable. It seems to be in a control module or something. There will be a very slight click behind the carb (like a relay or solenoid click) and the idle and engine become rough and eventually stalls. Someone please help. I've disconnected all the vaccum hoses and plugged them off with no improvement. Any ideas?
As harsh as this sounds, trash the Carter and get a Weber Kit. I had the same problems with the Carters and could never get it to run just right. I spent 300 bucks on the Weber kit and have never been happier. Easy to install. Factory adjusted. Made great power. Gas mileage improved. Sounds great. Sound like it it gonna suck the hood off the hinges.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 09:48 AM   #3
rustyCJ

Re: Re: rough idle

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxflhrci
As harsh as this sounds, trash the Carter and get a Weber Kit. I had the same problems with the Carters and could never get it to run just right. I spent 300 bucks on the Weber kit and have never been happier. Easy to install. Factory adjusted. Made great power. Gas mileage improved. Sounds great. Sound like it it gonna suck the hood off the hinges.
read this

if like me and dont have $300 to throw at your jeep at a whim then try this. it is a hella lot cheaper then buying a new carb to replace the rebuilt one you just bought and will prolly fix your problem if you can do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.