Rough Country, Shackles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rough Country, Shackles?

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Rough Country, Shackles?

Hey guys!
So currently im looking into getting some nice shackles since i still have originals onmy lift..... i know dont tell me why lol. But im looking at the Greasable Rough Country Boomerang shackles. Anyone got any feedback on these? or what other shackle i should look into? im trying to get a inch an a half or more of lift from them

Jclilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Personally, if I was looking for that much lift I wouldn't be looking to get it from shackles. There are mixed reviews on it but in many cases it affects caster angle on the front axle and leads to handling problems. Not to mention they'll be sticking further out to hit obstacles. Remember that for every half inch of lift a shackle has to be an inch longer than stock. So 1.5" lift shackles will be 6" long bolt-bolt.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

hmm i see, what if i get a regular sized shackle but greasable wouldnt it give me a bit smoother ride, since there would be more articulation?
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclilk
hmm i see, what if i get a regular sized shackle but greasable wouldnt it give me a bit smoother ride, since there would be more articulation?
Not really. There isn't going to be any more articulation, just bolts that don't rust up. If you want a smoother ride look into shocks and new/different springs.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore
Personally, if I was looking for that much lift I wouldn't be looking to get it from shackles. There are mixed reviews on it but in many cases it affects caster angle on the front axle and leads to handling problems. Not to mention they'll be sticking further out to hit obstacles. Remember that for every half inch of lift a shackle has to be an inch longer than stock. So 1.5" lift shackles will be 6" long bolt-bolt.
X2. Shackle lifts are the cheep way of lifting a jeep and the caster angle suffers, thus causing steering problems. Again, look into shocks and springs.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

I had RC extended boomerangs on my rig and removed them because with the change in caster angle, it was all over the road.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

shoot, well 5 negative feed backs arent good lol, thanks for the info guys. Well do you guys know any site that sells just the leafs? Cause i can only find the complete set and i dont need 1 cause i got bilstein 5100 shocks in my Jeep. n Also does it matter if the leafs are underneath the differential or above??
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclilk View Post
Also does it matter if the leafs are underneath the differential or above??
Yes, it matters. What you are describing is SOA (Spring Over Axles), or SUA (Spring Under Axles).

The general rule-of-thumb is any spring lift over 3" requires modifications to the steering geometry and drivetrain, brake line extensions, t-case drop, etc...

A SOA lift nets a minimum of 4" of lift, so those additional mods are necessary.

For the best ride quality, consider converting to YJ springs in either OME or Rubicon Express brands. They are a direct bolt on in the rear, but they are 1/2" wider and slightly longer than CJ springs in front, so they deliver a better ride.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

There isn't any welding needed when I swap into the YJ leafs? N yea that's what I was talking about well ima look into it more thanks matt
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

As someone who's used longer shackles for over 26 years, I'll give you positive feedback. Shackles get a bad rap on the internet. Most of it is just regurgitated hearsay without experience. Will shackles change your caster, yes. But like low tire pressure will change your ride height, it can easily be overcome. They make caster shims for this very reason and it's a cheap fix. And caster isn't something that has to be exact. A degree or two will hardly be noticeable. Do longer shackles stick out further, yes, maybe a 1/2" more. Not sure how that would effect.... anything!
A shackles construction and it's mount are the more important issue to address if going with a longer shackle. About any of the shackles produced out there for a 1/2" of lift are better quality than stock ones, but if you go longer you want ones with 3/8" sides and a center block to keep the sides parallel. The stock shackles have the studs welded to the sides and the studs have shoulders to keep the sides from racking. The bushings are there to allow movement.
The stocks shackle mounts are not too sturdy as is but when longer shackles are added it applies more lateral torque to these and they will bend. To overcome this replace the mounts with ones that have web gussets or are billet machined like the ones from Crabtree Tool.
Now with that said, shackle length does have a limit. It seems that the manufacturers have put that at 2" since I've not seen ones any longer. I personally wouldn't go that long, but as I said, I've had a 1 1/4" shackle lift (5 1/2" bolt to bolt) on for decades without any issues that weren't easily addressed.
So theres my 2 cents on shackles.

Here's a good article on shackles pros and cons.
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-93.htm
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.