rough country lift kits, good or bad?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > rough country lift kits, good or bad??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
greengene
1977 CJ7 

rough country lift kits, good or bad??

Hey I am in the market for a 4" lift kit and want to know if rough country is a good kit or not? Also I am concidering a shackle lift about 1.5 inch, will that screw up my ride? I do both on and off road so I need to maintain some stability. Oh one more thing will I need to relocate my break lines and switch to cv joints?

greengene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

ooohhhhh rough country

I say stay away from rough country expecially if the jeep is a DD, they're kits are extremly stiff. I have kow to stay away from them for as long as I can remember. All my friends that get rough country end up removing them cause they go to crap.
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Blue5
1973 CJ5 

I have a Rough Country 2.5" kit on my CJ-5. It's OK, but if I were to do it again I would look into a kit with softer springs for more flex and a better ride.
[COLOR="Red"]Hemi Club member #21[/COLOR]
Blue5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

I have not driven mine yet so I can't speak for the ride but everyone else seems to say they are stiffer than most. I will say I am disappointed with my 2-1/2" not appearing to be very close to 2-1/2". It seems like most people I've heard from who got the 4" kit say it was a full 4" though.
Unread 09-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Here is a real world comparison.

I have two XJ's. One has a Rough Country 4.5 with leaf packs. The other has a Rubicon Express 3.5 with leaf packs.

The Rubicon express has held up without a single problem. It's on a daily driver turning 60+ miles per day. I'm running 31x10.50 Treadwright retreads with an MT pattern. Very happy with the ride and the quality.

The Rough Country kit has had several problems. This is a daily driver (wife) getting 20+ miles per day. The rear springs are on their third set of bushings. The front shock upper bushings disentagrated within two weeks. I had one front coil spring replaced from extreme sagging, and one leaf spring replaced because of a cracked lower leaf. I ran 32x11.50 Maxxis Bighorns. The whole setup was rough riding, coupled with the Bighorns made for a long drive. So, to make it usable, I replaced the Bighorns with 33x10.50 BFG AT's and put them on 8" aluminum wheels instead of 10" steel, and replaced the shocks with a better grade. It's much better now.

I am not saying I wouldn't ever buy an RC lift again, but I do know what to expect. I don't think you will find better customer service than RC. I usually deal with Jason, and he's always done right by me even after the warranty was gone.

So, do you want to save a few bucks and deal with a few problems and rougher ride, or spend %50 more and get lucky like I did?

Good luck

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
venturascramble
1981 CJ8 

So far so good with the 2.5" lift on my CJ-8. I used Curry 1" greasable shackles and the lift is just about right with 32" Goodrich A/T's. I've got about 6k on the clock since the install, mainly daily driving. No problems yet but it is stiffer than stock. New Trail Max seats mitigated that perception and I'm happy, given they last as long as I expect them to, at least 75-100,000 miles.
venturascramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
greencjxj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i had rough country 4 inch lift with 1.5 shackles on my cj 7. It rode ok. it rode alot better when i put the rough country reverse shackle kit on it.
greencjxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
martydriscoll
1984 CJ7 

so far im very happy with my 4 inch kit and boomerang shackles.its only been on for about 2 months . definitally have at least 4 inches if not more. it also flexs pretty good. it stuffs my 33,s . it rides about the same as it did with the stock springs. i think with diferent shocks, it would ride even better than stock!!
martydriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'll never buy another one!
Still have the last one, installed for about a month or six weeks, on the junk rack out back...
I'm going to sell it if I can ever find someone that wants something that stiff!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.