rough country lift kit questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > rough country lift kit questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 08-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
zombiesmasher13
1991 YJ Wrangler 

rough country lift kit questions

I'm going to be getting a 4" lift kit for my 81 cj7. The rough country kits seem like a pretty good kit for the money.
Any issues I should expect? Are they decent kits?

zombiesmasher13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Slydeco
1985 CJ7 

I,ve got a 4" lift and it rides great ,They get a bum rap here but I have no complaints
Slydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
4WheelingPlus.c
1988 XJ Cherokee 

We sell lots of the Rough Country 4" lift kits. They are very decent especially for the price and their great customer service. I deal with many companies on a daily basis and Rough Country always has some of the best customer service IMO.

One big note that I tell all of my customers that lift an older Jeep: Keep in mind that your stock springs have likely sagged and the new 4" lift springs are designed to give you 4" more than a new stock spring. In other words if your stock springs have sagged 1" over time you will end up with around 5" of lift when add new 4" springs. It's not an exact science by any means but I have had more than one customer state that they were "surprised" how tall their Jeep was after lifting it only 4" and adding bigger tires.
http://www.4WheelingPlus.com
4WheelingPlus.c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
HondaSkidoo

I have the 2 1/2" RC Lift on my 78 CJ for about 6 years know with no problems and it rides great. Good Luck
HondaSkidoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
4WheelingPlus.c
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaSkidoo View Post
I have the 2 1/2" RC Lift on my 78 CJ for about 6 years know with no problems and it rides great. Good Luck
I almost mentioned the 2.5" lift as it is a very popular lift for the CJ's but I didn't want to "sway" zombiesmasher13 away from the original plan to get the 4"
Unread 08-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelingPlus.c View Post
I almost mentioned the 2.5" lift as it is a very popular lift for the CJ's but I didn't want to "sway" zombiesmasher13 away from the original plan to get the 4"
Oh no, we wouldn't want him to spend less money now would we?

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
4WheelingPlus.c
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
Oh no, we wouldn't want him to spend less money now would we?
It's only a $30 difference between the two so price rarely is a deciding factor.

It usually comes down to "just how tall" do you want your Jeep to be?
Unread 08-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

well if I had to do it over again, I would have done the 2.5 lift myself. Unless you really plan on doing some rock climbing, (which I do not) you don't need the 4" lift. The drive angles will stay the same with a 2.5 and you don't normally need a drop pitman arm that you would have to pay extra for, and extended brake lines, and a trans drop kit. It is really cheaper then 30 bucks to go with the 2.5 kit over the 4". Just my .02

Paved Roads
Quote:

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
Unread 08-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
4WheelingPlus.c
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
well if I had to do it over again, I would have done the 2.5 lift myself. Unless you really plan on doing some rock climbing, (which I do not) you don't need the 4" lift. The drive angles will stay the same with a 2.5 and you don't normally need a drop pitman arm that you would have to pay extra for, and extended brake lines, and a trans drop kit. It is really cheaper then 30 bucks to go with the 2.5 kit over the 4". Just my .02
Very well said! Your feedback is pretty much verbatim to what I hear from most of our 4" CJ lift kit buyers.

Rarely I get a buyer that isn't happy with just 2.5" of lift but we fix their issue pretty quickly with longer shackles. It's much easier to raise your CJ a little more than it is to lower it.
Unread 08-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Depends on what size tires you want to run, doesn't it?
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

With all due respect to Ron, I would go the other way and say I was NOT surprised at how much the 2-1/2" kit lifted my Jeep. True it is not an exact science and it's hard for me to really tell just how much lift I actually got from it, but I thought with the custom slightly longer shackles I made I would see more like 3" lift and I'm not so sure I ended up with more than 2" out of the whole deal. Maybe the scout axle tube diameter stole some of what I expected. I haven't had a good chance to really evaluate the ride yet but I will say it looks quality and the price was good. Do some searching on the forum zombie because I believe I have read of others who questioned the amount of lift they got.
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
4WheelingPlus.c
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJfreak View Post
it's hard for me to really tell just how much lift I actually got from it, but I thought with the custom slightly longer shackles I made I would see more like 3" lift and I'm not so sure I ended up with more than 2" out of the whole deal. Maybe the scout axle tube diameter stole some of what I expected
Did you have the longer shackles installed before or after you installed the new leaf springs?

How did you place the spring perches on the Scout axles? What perches did you use?
Unread 08-04-2009, 04:25 AM   #13
cjbomber

Hey POPPATELLO, How does your jeep run with that 4 banger in it? I have a 4 banger and am thinking of swapping in a 4.0l. I havent seen to many people stick with the 4. Anyone else have anything that would herlp? Thanks Matt
cjbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Well that is another draw back with going with a 4" lift when you have the 4 Cly. I love the motor; love the ride, but when you lift it, what else do you feel compelled to do? Add bigger tires! And the 4 doesn't like that too much. I have 32's on it now, and yes it rides completely different from a 31 to a 32. The only reason I went with 32's is cause they cost me a 100 bucks with the wheels and the wheels were redone the tires were new! I would have jumped right up to a 34x9.5 if I got just the wheels and boy that would have been murder. The jeep crawls over bridges! Doesn't like the sand. If I'm on flat Hwy I can sometimes get her up to 75. Don't really want to go that fast, but just to see if she can do it. I can do 75 up to the bridge and by the time I'm on the peak, she's down to 45! Some say regear, some say swap motors. Like 4 wheeling said, it's a pain to drop down the lift and go smaller tires once you've done it, so I will be doing the 4.2 swap. I would have just done the 2.5 lift and 31's clear them fine and the jeep would be a beast. I just have a tall dog.

Paved Roads
Quote:

Unread 08-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Another point is the 4 works harder to turn 32" tires Vs the 31's. Just think what the 34 would have done!

Paved Roads
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.