Rot Under Roll Bar Repair? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rot Under Roll Bar Repair?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #46
wlawyer
1985 CJ7 

yeah i used self etching primer on it then I did a coat of chassis saver that came with my monstaliner kit. The monstaliner has been great, there is plenty of info on here about it but I have no complaints at all so far. The even offer coloring kits so you dont have to do black if you dont want to.
I learned a couple of things, first a good welder is worth the money (tried the $100 harbor freight welder first). Second you cannot have enough grinding disks. Third, seam sealer is your friend so get it close and dont obsess over it especially if you are planning on doing a liner of any sort. Mine isn't perfect but its my hands that did the work.

Unread 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #47
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Good info to know, wlawyer. Thanks.

I'll second getting a quality welder. Mine is a Lincoln 140. It's a nice unit, but it's only 110v and is only good for steel up to 5/16". I can already see an upgrade to a 220v unit in my future.

I'm still on the fence about the bed-liner. I like the idea that it covers a lot of sins, but it will make any future repairs, if necessary, more difficult. The texture on most bed-liners is also too rough for my tastes, but I like the looks of the Monstaliner's texture. I guess I'll see how the Ol' Girl looks after painting, then make a decision on the bed-liner.

Thanks, again.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #48
njrob
1985 CJ7 

welder

Ok I'm in. I'm saving my lunch money for a welder ... mig right?
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #49
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

I second using good primer and paint instead of liner. Much easier to make any future repairs and mine has lasted years but I don't let the Jeep sit in the rain.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #50
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

I like the liner because it does seal the metal and all of your joints if there is slight cracks. I can also hose my Jeep out and it acts as a good insulator against noise, rattles, creaks, and heat.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #51
wlawyer
1985 CJ7 

Someone slap me if I am wrong but from my limited experience with the monstaliner at least I think you could make a repair then just re-coat fairly easy. The monstaliner is UV stable so fading isn't an issue so it seems to be a possibility at least. The monstaliner is pretty smooth but not slick, I really like it. I had herculiner in my 83 and had to cover it up with a mat, I like to kick my shoes off in the summer when riding around. If you dont have access to a good compressor I think you should look into monstaliner but there are a bunch of options out there. Everything you need you can find on this site. Winter has just begun and I cant wait to pry that dam hardtop off again.
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #52
wlawyer
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrob View Post
Ok I'm in. I'm saving my lunch money for a welder ... mig right?
If I could do it over again I would make sure I got a mig with the gas option at least. Wire is good for quick and dirty stuff but the gas shielding makes things much cleaner aka less grinding. If you want to learn build yourself a welding cart first out of angle iron as someone suggested here one time. You get better with practice like anything else.
Unread 12-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #53
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlawyer View Post
Someone slap me if I am wrong but from my limited experience with the monstaliner at least I think you could make a repair then just re-coat fairly easy.
The problem isn't re-coating, its getting the bed-liner off of an area that may need repair. I know some of that stuff sticks pretty well, so scraping a large area to make a repair would be a PITA.

Then there's the whole "original vs. modified" thing. Original, or restored to original, CJs hold more value than modified CJs. With the exception of a slight lift, and a Weber carb, my Jeep is basically stock and I'm leaning towards keeping her that way.

Matt
Unread 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #54
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

It's chocolate and vanilla as far as painted or lined. Some people like both, some people like one over the other, some like one better in certain situations. It's really all about personal preference. As far as making repairs, fix the the thing completely and treat it before you line it and you wont have to worry about it. As for originality and value, maybe so, but virtually no car is an investment to build and hope to recover your expense on, CJs included.
Unread 12-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #55
wlawyer
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
The problem isn't re-coating, its getting the bed-liner off of an area that may need repair. I know some of that stuff sticks pretty well, so scraping a large area to make a repair would be a PITA.

Then there's the whole "original vs. modified" thing. Original, or restored to original, CJs hold more value than modified CJs. With the exception of a slight lift, and a Weber carb, my Jeep is basically stock and I'm leaning towards keeping her that way.

Matt
I hear you on the originality perspective and I was conflicted for a while since I had a very original cj. It came down to the point where I wasn't enjoying the jeep being a jeep. I like not having to worry about muddy boots on carpet or tools scratching paint. I stopped worrying about every scratch and imperfection. I stopped trying to keep it held in time and started to really enjoy it more. Resale isnt even on my radar but you have to find what works for you. Your opinion is the only one that matters.
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #56
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

One problem with liner is it is so often used to hide poor work. Good paint will take lots of dirty muddy boots and is very easy to touch up.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #57
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

I say it all depends on the owner of the Jeep. Do what you want, it is only a fashion statement.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #58
toyman2
1986 CJ7 

can you buy new floor pans?
I will be doing this same repair, not sure how I want to go about it yet
toyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #59
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Yes, most of the Jeep suppliers have them.
Unread 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #60
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hey guys,

It's been several days, and lots of disassembly, scraping, grinding, sanding, cutting, patching/welding, puttying, and cleaning, but I'm finally ready for paint!!.

Here are some updated pictures of the progress. Thanks again for all your help!

Matt
paintprep1.jpg   paintprep2.jpg   paintprep3.jpg   paintprep4.jpg   paintprep5.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.