Rot Under Roll Bar Repair? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rot Under Roll Bar Repair?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #16
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
I use chemically treat the metal cause I cant spell Ozphos, Osophate, OZphosphoruos, I mean Metal Prep. You get the idea, Home Depot has it for about $15 a gallon and it is the same stuff as the $30 a guart stuff. Most say to wash it off with water after a few hours, but I prefer to lightly sand blast it, just cant take the thought of water on bare metal.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Perfect. Thanks!!

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

We used Raptor and although it is textured it is fairly smooth/comfortable on the skin. Some brands liners can be thinned to soften the texture.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #18
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

IMHO don't use bed liner, it is not perfect and hides problems and you can achieve better long term protection with paint and regular inspection / recoating.

My CJ is open and sees 2" of rain some days. It has patches under those bars and receives paint every 2 years.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

I used Raptor too. I love the stuff, make sure you prep it very well before applying though.

Close up:

addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
Another thing that I have done when welding a flat piece to a ribbed piece is to cut the repalcement piece with tabs at the rib locations. This allows for a piece to fold down into the rib and be welded for a good seal.
I have also used a wood die (back side) and a socket. You set the metal in a carved spot in wood and wack a socket into the groove with the sheetmetal in between the socket and wood die. Stretches the metal into a dimple and works nice and smooth. Just have to do it at a little angle to have it go from big to small.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #21
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

When I was taught wedling on vehicles it was number one to cut back to clean thick metal, everything else was secondary.

On a tub you could weld but brazing is just as good. Your welds do not need to be continuous but a grind down afterwards is a good idea.

If you put indents in yours, and I do as it makes the patch stronger, consider putting in more drain holes. Water will accumulate back there as there is a lack of drainage holes. Water does not matter as long as it does not sit there.

And CAR-PETS. Darn fancy pants things are nothing but a recipe for rust.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #22
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
I used Raptor too. I love the stuff, make sure you prep it very well before applying though.
Addicted,

The Raptor does look nice. I assume those pics were taken when it was just completed. How long have you had it on, and does it still look the same, or has it faded?

I have to admit, the bed-liner approach is alluring. My intent was to restore my CJ to original, but I'm quickly finding out the factory's way of doing certain things wasn't necessarily the best. At least, I could be a little less picky about my patch welds, if I use the bed-liner.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I actually like my carpeting. I never let it get wet, and I routinely pull it out and clean underneath. It has spared my original paint job from scratches for 30 years, and it makes the Jeep much more comfortable to drive in. I feel like I'm driving a tin can without it.

I guess I'll make that call when I finish the painting.

Matt
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #23
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

The reason I went with Raptor is the reports from long time users in Florida that said it didn't fade in our sun. It also helped immensely with road noise.
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #24
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
Addicted,

The Raptor does look nice. I assume those pics were taken when it was just completed. How long have you had it on, and does it still look the same, or has it faded?

I have to admit, the bed-liner approach is alluring. My intent was to restore my CJ to original, but I'm quickly finding out the factory's way of doing certain things wasn't necessarily the best. At least, I could be a little less picky about my patch welds, if I use the bed-liner.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I actually like my carpeting. I never let it get wet, and I routinely pull it out and clean underneath. It has spared my original paint job from scratches for 30 years, and it makes the Jeep much more comfortable to drive in. I feel like I'm driving a tin can without it.

I guess I'll make that call when I finish the painting.

Matt
The coating still looks the same and it's been a little over a year now.
Unread 12-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #25
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
The coating still looks the same and it's been a little over a year now.
Good to know. I'm definitely swaying that way.

How did you handle keeping all the mounting holes from filling up? How about the tranny cover plate, did you do that separately? Also, where did you terminate the Raptor in the rear?

Sorry for all my questions, but I'm a little bored while I wait for the garage to heat up.

Matt
Unread 12-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
Good to know. I'm definitely swaying that way.

How did you handle keeping all the mounting holes from filling up? How about the tranny cover plate, did you do that separately? Also, where did you terminate the Raptor in the rear?

Sorry for all my questions, but I'm a little bored while I wait for the garage to heat up.

Matt
I have a ton of junk bolts and set screws I just threaded into the holes, painted, then removed and threw the old bolts away. Yes, the trans plate was pulled off and done separately. Terminate in the tailgate opening? At the tailgate I just went all the way to where the metal makes a sharp 90* bend to the outside body. As for everywhere else I went under the lip of the edges of the body. I don't like the look of the bedliner across the top of the rails or the door openings.
Unread 12-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #27
bentring
1976 CJ5 

I've wondered before if it would help reduce the chance of rust and still be as strong if you were to mount the cage on spacers so water would just drain under the roll bar. Similar to the way wooden columns are often installed so they don't rot as easily.
bentring is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #28
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
I have a ton of junk bolts and set screws I just threaded into the holes, painted, then removed and threw the old bolts away. Yes, the trans plate was pulled off and done separately. Terminate in the tailgate opening? At the tailgate I just went all the way to where the metal makes a sharp 90* bend to the outside body. As for everywhere else I went under the lip of the edges of the body. I don't like the look of the bedliner across the top of the rails or the door openings.
Yeah, I would think bed-liner would play he11 on door seals, too.

Thanks for all your help. I think the garage is almost warm enough to not see my breath. So I better get to work.

Matt
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #29
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentring View Post
I've wondered before if it would help reduce the chance of rust and still be as strong if you were to mount the cage on spacers so water would just drain under the roll bar. Similar to the way wooden columns are often installed so they don't rot as easily.
Great minds think alike!

The only downfall I can see is you may have to re-drill the upper bolt holes. Actually, now that I think about it, I believe the mounting plates have elongated holes, so they may work without re-drilling.

I like the idea!!

Matt
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #30
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Then your rollbar safety impact is spread out on multiple small feet. The big plate on the bottom (feet) was designed like that to spread the load of the impact if rolled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.