Roll Cages - Lets See Pictures - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Roll Cages - Lets See Pictures

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 03-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #16
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1RMAN View Post
Here's a cage I built for a customer's 1979 CJ-5. I used 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM and tied it to the frame with bushings on the nerf bars and a support tube at the back of the frame. The factory soft top still fits and the seats and center counsel are attached to the cage.

This is what I want with the added ability to mount one of the Tuffy overhead consoles! Very nice.

Unread 03-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
TJ-Joe
1984 CJ7 

TJ-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #18
FATHERNSON
1977 CJ5 

What front bar is that? Is that the kentrol? I am about to order one and just wondered.

[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]USMC
SEMPER FI[/SIZE] [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
FATHERNSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
flattired
1977 CJ5 

this dude here is why i dont come on this forum much anymore.
flattired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Good Lord. A four year old thread brought from the dead 2 years later, revived another two years later, then beat back to death a month after that!

Where does everyone dig these things up from?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #21
FATHERNSON
1977 CJ5 

This is our first attempt at building a roll cage. Not the strongest or most useful but we like it because its all custom.
dsc01369.jpg   dsc01372.jpg   dsc01373.jpg  

[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]USMC
SEMPER FI[/SIZE] [/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
FATHERNSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #22
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATHERNSON View Post
This is our first attempt at building a roll cage. Not the strongest or most useful but we like it because its all custom.
I would have gone into the floor and then welded into the frame. just my $00.02
[email]john.purser@4w2h.org[/email]
[url]www.4WheeltoHeal.org[/url]

"Real Heroes don't wear capes, They wear Dog Tags!"

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]CHECK OUT 4 WHEEL TO HEAL [/COLOR][/SIZE]

4 Wheel to Heal [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f304/4-wheel-heal-1338074/[/url]

Build Thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1979-cj5-build-tank-killer-1194117/[/url]

Facebook [url]https://www.facebook.com/#!/boarderofsnow[/url]
boarderofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #23
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderofsnow

I would have gone into the floor and then welded into the frame. just my $00.02
I wouldn't bother with tying into the frame unless you are going to do some rock crawling or serious mountain trail riding. I see people getting very creative with ways to tie in, but honestly, you simply do not need to IF your floor is sound. The roll bar is NOT going to "push through the floor" if the floor is in good shape. Maybe if you did a Nascar roll, but what's the likelihood of that for most of us?

Sent from my DROID3 using JeepForum
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #24
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

My plan is to do a front hoop with spreaders, possibly a rear family style bar, and tie it all to the frame and nerf bars. My concern is not rolling it from hill climbing. My concern is actually a paved road incident and I may not even be behind the wheel. A malfunction or another vehicle / person causes a swerve, which on a short wheel based Jeep could induce a roll-over. Or a side impact / t-bone from another vehicle. Or wet / icy roads. I'm looking out for the "what-if's" in the future because my aim is to keep this Jeep around for another 30 years and to keep my family safe.
I'm not one to go for simply looks. If it's on my Jeep I want it to function as intended, whether I need it or not. I've seen the factory roll bars fold up before, but then they weren't intended to function as a roll cage. I've also seen them hold up in a not so bad incident, but you don't get to choose the degree of your incident when it comes.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #25
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Sounds like your case is more for beefing up the roll bar than tying to the frame.
Again, you ca have a helluva roll incident and not have the bar get pushed through the floor.

Of course, everyone is free to build whatever they want, I'm just trying to shoot down the seemingly common thought that any roll automatically means the cage goes through the floor; It doesn't. I've actually never seen a cage installed on a solid floor that did go through.

I have seen probably 20 CJ's that were rolled (including my first vehicle) and never saw this happen once. And honestly, the way most people do it, it's no stronger than the bolts that connect it to the frame tie ins, anyway. IMO, you aren't truly tied into the frame unless there is a hole in the floor and the tube is solid all the way to the frame.
Then that way leaves the issue of how to seal the hole around the tube....point is, everything but this way is a compromise, and I don't think it's necessary for anything but a hard core wheeler. But by all means, I think everyone should build whatever they want.....let's just not represent tying into the frame as the only way it's safe.

Sent from my DROID3 using JeepForum
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #26
JnH_78CJ7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1RMAN
Here's a cage I built for a customer's 1979 CJ-5. I used 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM and tied it to the frame with bushings on the nerf bars and a support tube at the back of the frame. The factory soft top still fits and the seats and center counsel are attached to the cage.
This is exactly what I have been looking for! What would it cost to get one made for a 79 cj7?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 08-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #27
duckbone

A little experience here I have had the unfortunate opportunity to be in two jeep wrecks on the road. Both times the jeep rolled, one time it just rolled one and a half times the other rolled 3 times. Both were just a regular jeep roll bar not a family bar. Both times the roll bar bent and the windshield frame collapsed some but did not crush enough that it didn't offer protection. In neither case did the roll bar break or crack the floor nor did it shear any bolts. Your results may vary. That being said always build everything as strong as you can, for no other reason than just to do it. I see people get blasted for something not being strong as it could be yet that very same blaster has bends in his tube for looks where it could have been straight. Bends weaken tube. Every tube should be as straight as possible and the leg of a triangle if you really want to get picky.
duckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #28
boarderofsnow
1979 CJ5 

Great points Pacfanweb! I wheel and that is it. Mine isn't a daily driver nor a grocery getter. Its for getting out on the trails and in those situations saftey is key. Use grade 8 hardware with anything you customize. The cage above looks really well done. I would think if the person was going to that extent they would want to bolt into the floor....not the dashboard and then tie into the frame. If its done right its barely noticable. If you want to punch holes through the floor for the most protection then sealing shouldin't be a problem. Just use 3M body sealer. That is what they use at the factory to seal any vehicle body....or simply weld it shut. Here is what I run and I won't risk the cage pushing through the floor because its not tied into the frame....and I have seen this happen more than once. If you take the time to build a cage....just do it right the first time because its being built for safety.
imag0075.jpg   imag0077.jpg  
[email]john.purser@4w2h.org[/email]
[url]www.4WheeltoHeal.org[/url]

"Real Heroes don't wear capes, They wear Dog Tags!"

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]CHECK OUT 4 WHEEL TO HEAL [/COLOR][/SIZE]

4 Wheel to Heal [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f304/4-wheel-heal-1338074/[/url]

Build Thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1979-cj5-build-tank-killer-1194117/[/url]

Facebook [url]https://www.facebook.com/#!/boarderofsnow[/url]
boarderofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #29
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

An old thread that is good to see come up again. I've decided to tie my cage to the frame. I like the idea. As has been pointed out it's not needed in all cases but if you don't mind the extra work involved and if it's done right it's a good thing. Another thing I like about it is that it adds some extra bracing for the frame. Anyway I'm not yet finished, there will be diagonal bracing and gussets added when I get to that point.

Also a shot of the A pillar tie in. All tie-ins will have poly bushings to isolate the cage from the frame. This one ties into the sliders.
100_0937.jpg   100_0945.jpg  
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #30
papa355
1977 CJ7 

I agree with Jim, tying into the frame is a good idea, yet as pacfan says maybe not needed for mall crawlers and grocery getters. Jeeps are built out of pop can thin crap wanna-be steel. (IMO)

The tub I acquired was damaged by a falling tree, from storm damage. it pushed the tub(and floor pans) down around the frame,and twisted it to the right.Also destroyed the roll bar, btw. The floors were in good shape also. But with a cherry picker, tie down straps, a couple sledge hammers and a few hours labor...you can't even tell it was damaged.

Now my floor pans on the other hand, will probably not push thru. I used 3/16" plate where the cage bolts on, and tied into the frame. But trail riding and mud thrashing is all our jeep is built for.
papa355 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.