Roll Cages? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Roll Cages?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Roll Cages?

Let's try this again.

I would like to upgrade or replace my stock/original '86 CJ-7 roll cage.

1) I would like to get one that is reasonably easy to install/bolt on.
2) I would also like one that bolts to the frame, and not that flimsy tub.
3) Relatively cheap or budget friendly.
4) Don't REALLY need a full cage per se, but for the people in the front two seats..

Any suggestions/pics/negotiations?

TIA

Red Jeep
1st Jeep: '86 CJ-7 (I miss her)
BigYellaJeep
BigYellaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

You're not going to find what you're looking for with that wish list. The bolt in ones aren't cheap and don't tie to the frame. The cheap ones aren't bolt in and don't tie to the frame. Nothing ties to the frame and is bolt on.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
MeCasa

Especially in chrome

Hehe, couldn't help myself ;-)
Unread 05-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ohhh, you dog..lol.

I want a roll cage that won't poke through the dang tub when the Jeep rolls, you know? So I guess I need to build my own?

Oh, and I said relatively cheap, not $10 cheap.

I can always wrap tin-foil around it anyway.
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 05-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Brandon11130

just make sure you wrap the tin foil cage in foam so you dont smash your head on it when you roll, trust me it hurts

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]
Brandon11130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
Trigger
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Try Poison Spyder Customs. They've got a kit for a CJ that runs right around $700. All you need to do is have someone weld it together for you. One thing I can say about cages is don't go cheap. I've personally seen a roll cage save my friends' lives and when I get to putting one in my Jeep, it's going to be a good one.
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigYellaJeep
Oh, and I said relatively cheap, not $10 cheap.
Relative means that you have something to compare it to, so define relatively cheap for you. For example, an H2 is relatively cheap compared to an H1, but it's still a large chunk of change to me but not to Shaq.

You don't have to go custom, but that would get you *exactly* what you want with a price tag to match. The frame tie-ins will at least be semi-custom. Their are kits and components out there, but you have to cut & weld to fit your situation.
Unread 05-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
TheJunkMan2005
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Want an inexpensive rollbar.. Find a local guy with a big 4x4 truck that works on race cars. Chances are he'd happily help you out, nothing a 30pack can't handle, of course for after the job is done... I already have 3 people volunteering to modify my dune buggy, and do my rollbar in my CJ, met all the people the same way. Just see a race car, and talk to them..

Len
Unread 05-17-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

A couple buddies of mine ordered kits and add-ons from SW Racecars... pretty good price delivered right to the front door. Of course, we had to weld the kits in and then fab up our own frame tie ins but it was relatively inexpensive and easy to do. If you decide on one of their kits, make sure to specify 1.75"x.120" DOM. They actually offer a couple different sizes of tube..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I think that I'm gonna go find a guy who makes his own cages like you all suggested. Now I just need to FIND "that guy."

Relatively cheap was in terms of roll cage average cost... so if they range from the $300-1,000 mark, then something around $400, etc.
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 05-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

You should shop by what sort of protection you need, not necessarily by price. The amount and type of tubing and number of bends (labor) affects the price. A $300 cage will be just the basics...front hoop, 4 spreaders, dash bar is typically what you get in the $300-400 range. So the question is, is that adequate to save your bacon in the types of situations you put yourself in? A $1k cage will be gussetted & triangulated, have seat & harness mounts, etc. Obviously with a little planning, you can start with the $300-400 cage and add gussets and additional tubing as you go, but I wouldn't expect to have it tied to the frame in that intial outlay...probably need to add another $100 or so for that.

Last edited by jeepskate; 05-18-2006 at 02:03 PM..
Unread 05-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
Sprkplug
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
A couple buddies of mine ordered kits and add-ons from SW Racecars... pretty good price delivered right to the front door. Of course, we had to weld the kits in and then fab up our own frame tie ins but it was relatively inexpensive and easy to do. If you decide on one of their kits, make sure to specify 1.75"x.120" DOM. They actually offer a couple different sizes of tube..
X2

Got my front from S&W. Rear section is from a 94 YJ and I added some tubing to it as well.

Next will tie in the seats and frame and install 4-point harness (after adding another section of tubing behind the front seats).

1978 Jeep CJ 7 258 6cyl Quadra-Trac with T400. Custom 3" body lift. Flatfendered. Custom bumpers. Full 6 point roll cage. 36" IROK's. 2 1/2 suspenion lift and 1/2 shackle lift. GM HEI, Superior 1-piece axles, 4.88 gears, Weber carb. Locked front and rear. Best of all, fours sons who LOVE TO RIDE!
Sprkplug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's nice Sprkplug. Definately something like that I'm looking for... is it mounted to the frame/chassis or to the tub?
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 05-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #14
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just called SW for some quotes for roll cages $169.99 for a cj7 8 point mild steel

Problem is I need one for a CJ5...the salesman wasnt all that knowledgeable on there products, and said they didnt make one for a 5. He said I would have to fill out a special request form for a 8 point which starts at $259.99 mild steel, and $429.99 for DOM. I dont understand why I should have to pay nearly $100 more for my cj5 which uses less material? Does anyone have any type of connection there that might be able to help me out?
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Depending upon how it's made, might be a simple matter of just cutting the front spreaders shorter to fit your '5. They charge more because they have to take the time to get the specs and model the cage...it's not cookie cutter like the ones they already have done the legwork on. All manufacturers charge more for custom orders whether it's a roll cage or a decal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.