roll cage suggestions for 73 cj5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > roll cage suggestions for 73 cj5?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
burtonboard180
1972 CJ5 

roll cage suggestions for 73 cj5?

does anyone know of any roll cage setups i could go with that are already pre-bent and notched and ill that would need to be done is the welding? i hate the idea of having to go have custom tubes bent i rather have pre bent tubes. thanks!!

burtonboard180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

look on some of the forums I've seen some used ones for sale, then you could add some sections if you want
my73CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
burtonboard180
1972 CJ5 

i have seen some kits on different sites that are around 400$ which is better tubing DOM or EWS? im not quick ready to install the cage but i want to get an idea so i kno where to leave room for mounting it all up.
Unread 09-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
incynr8
1974 CJ5 

DOM is considered better tubing since it's mandrel treated after being first a welded seam tube.

I dont have information on kits for an Intermediate, mine is caged family style re-using the original center hoop and runs from plates bolted and welded to the front floor, tubing goes along the dashboard, then up to the overheads.

I will say, make sure all your dashwork, wiring, and ideally, body work are all done before you do this, since removing my dashboard is impossible without cage removal now.You get to lay on the floor with seats out to work up there.

Mine was done along time ago when my jeep got hopped up in the late 1970s, so I have no idea if this was a kit or not, I recently painted it all.

I will also add the front floor attachment plates, make sure all that is super clean when it's done, and seamsealing/ rust proof wax injection is likely a very good idea between the welded plate and floor. I dont think dashboard attached cages are that good an idea.

There are likely prebent frame tie in kits for our models, this is something I hope to do sometime to make it safer. I would suggest this is far safer that having 'better tubing' on only the cage itself.
incynr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
mwhanson
1967 CJ5 

Rock Hard 4x4 Parts - Jeep

Rock Hard makes a cage that doesn't require welding...I don't have one, but was looking to upgrade the rear section of mine for rear head protection. Easier to look at the web site than for me to explain...
mwhanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
burtonboard180
1972 CJ5 

im not a huge fan of the bolt on roll cage. i think i am goin to buy the front hoop, main hoop, and over head supports and have it welded in. anyone kno of any companys that sell them reasonably priced and will ship fast?
Unread 09-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
ksheffer08
1981 CJ7 

jeeptubes.com or something of that nature. google it
ksheffer08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
burtonboard180
1972 CJ5 

i just found a 10pt roll cage on jegs.com just needs to be fitted and welded up. has anyone used one of their cages? ill deffinatly check out the jeeptubes of google thanks!!
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:15 AM   #9
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboard180 View Post

ill deffinatly check out the jeeptubes of google thanks!!
Sweet!

I was just getting ready to describe to use the "search" tool. Google is a search engine, and they work great too!

Below are some good reads!

All of these are from within a few weeks.

Dated 07-23-2009:
Quote:

i currently am working on a rock crawler project and what ive decided to do is start out with my 73 cj5 frame i have laying around.

what i am looking to do is buy a cj7 body (i kno it wont fit at this time) and cut it in half right behind the driver and passenger seat.

then take the back half of the tub that i cut off and cut off the last 6inches or so off that part and weld the last 6 inches to the front half that i cut off.

so basically it would look like a very short cj7 cab. what i am curious about is will i be able to mount that "cab" easily?

after i have the cab on i plan on doing a full roll cage throughout and spring over lift to really jack it up.
My ALL time favorite, dated 07-26-2009:
Quote:

this will be my first "rock krawler" project so im tryin to make it exactly perfect lol what kinds of suspention parts should i look for in order to get maximum articulation?

do i use a spring over? or 4link?

also i have a set of dana 44 axels laying around i think they are dana 44

anyway how do i tell if they are truly dana 44?

Dated 08-20-2009:
Quote:

I recently bought a 73 CJ5 frame and I plan on building it up from scratch and make a sweet trail rig/big f...ing jeep.

I bought new cj5 lift spring from black diamond I also plan on doin a spring over with those springs.

Does anyone kno what the leaf spring widths are for the front and rear?

And what is the best spring over kit to go with?

They just keep coming...dated 08-27-2009:
Quote:

I have a 1973 cj5 project i have started and i want to do a spring over lift.

im goin to be doing some wheeling but not too too much i plan on making it mostly for show.

i bought a black diamond 3" lift system already and want to spring over with those springs.

can anyone recommend and spring over kit that is good?

i kno that they require welding but if there are any systems that are bolt on that would be better.
Also dated 08-27-2009:
Quote:

i rele want to get around 5"or 6" bc like i said earlier i plan on taking in the woods pretty often but im not goin to be a real serious wheeler.

i bought a black diamond 3" lift system and half inch lift shackles which i will install very soon.

if i get a 2 inch body lift on top of all that will I be able to use 35s? ill prolly have to do some cutting on the rear fender area right?
Dated 08-29-2009:
Quote:

can anyone post cj5s that have around 5-7inches of lie so i can see basically what i would be working with?

as the days go by the more and more i really want to wheel it up some trails.

also anyone in the ny, nj, ma, ct area have a running chevy 350 or 283 they would like to sell at reasonable price?
AGAIN, dated 08-29-2009:
Quote:

well i have decided not to do a SOA with my lift springs for the same reason as my driveshaft angles will be very severe.

i and just goin to go with 3" lift springs and 2" body lift thats it.

can i fit 35s?

and can anyone post pics of their cj5s for me with 5-7" of lift?
Another one of my favorites, dated 09-01-2009:
Quote:

ok so i should get that with the kit i ordered from what i remember.

now do i have to worry about the steering column at all or no?

i forgot to mention it was a 1973 cj5 with a postal jeep body that i am modifying so i wont have to worry about swap bar links.

and how nessasary is the tcase drop kit for this? i rather not mess with that if i dont have to but i guess its always a possibility if i need to.
And, also dated on 09-01-2009 we have this:
Quote:

i dont have any problem modifying the tub so the tranny and tcase wont hit.

and i dont need to modify the steering at all?
I understand that people change direction on their projects/Jeeps before, during, and (even) after a build, but ALL of these changes within a few weeks.

Your all over the map, and yet the great folks here at JF are continuously trying to help you out.

I'm just saying that with all the time you take to start a new thread, that you could just as easily do some research for your "build".

Good luck,

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Rookie130
1983 CJ7 

ummm...that was funny
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
mwhanson
1967 CJ5 

That must have taken some time to pull all that info, more time than he's spent researching on his own...
mwhanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #12
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie130 View Post

ummm...that was funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhanson View Post

That must have taken some time to pull all that info, more time than he's spent researching on his own...
Glad you all enjoyed it Gents!

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.