Roll cage to frame mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Roll cage to frame mount

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Roll cage to frame mount

I am looking for some pics of how everyone has tied their cage into their frame. I am going to do this very soon and am trying to come up with ideas. I have looked and found a couple links with pictures wherer I can see but I am looking for more ideas. Thanks in advance.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
LanceLisowe

I'm also just about ready with our full "family" cage in our 78 CJ7 for the frame tie-ins. I would also like to see what others have done. I will post pics of our custom cage with front and rear seat tie-ins. Kids will feel like there in a playground on moneybars when trying to get into the backseat, but they'll be safe.
LanceLisowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Here's a rough pic I stole from the guy who did my custom roll cage. this is the A-Pillar tie in that also ties through the rocker guard.

Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

I've got a picture or two of my cage tie ins:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/project-cage-450100/
Unread 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Here is how I did mine. I took some ideas from Fatman's cage thread. ^^^Doh' beat me to it. :-)
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
longboy
2006 WK 

The only pics I have are with my old rocker guards, but the new ones are the same principal. The rocker guards wrap completely under the tub, and bolt to the body mounts. The A- and B- pillars of my cage (I'd like to tie in the C-pillar soon) bolt through the tub and are bolted to the rocker guards. The rocker guards are isolated from vibration via the body mount bushings.

Only pic I have online (these bolts have all been flipped upside down and replaced with Gr8 bolts):
Unread 01-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was wondering how much different Jeeps ride/handle, after tying the roll cage to the frame. Considering that it must reduce frame flex, etc.

Any comments? Thanks.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

Good question and not a hijack, they go hand in hand. ALWAYS use some form of bushing when tying into the frame. Ask me how I know. Without it twists the body with the frame tweaking the crap out of the body. It also trasmits every little vibration through the body. Of you look closely at post #3 there is a bushing right at the frame.
Unread 01-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post
Good question and not a hijack, they go hand in hand. ALWAYS use some form of bushing when tying into the frame. Ask me how I know. Without it twists the body with the frame tweaking the crap out of the body. It also trasmits every little vibration through the body. Of you look closely at post #3 there is a bushing right at the frame.
The bushing seems like the way to go, for several reasons, but I was wondering about the ride/handling differences vs. no tie ins, mostly on-road.

I realize that there's got to be a trade-off...safety at the sake of ride/handling quality...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

It's a little stiffer on the trail but I didn't really notice any good or bad about the handling on the street. There isn't a ton of flex in normal driving placed on the body.
Unread 01-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Thanks for all the input. Very good ideas and I will be using these. I like the idea of the "B" pillar tie-in that Fatman and Coiz did. I like the "C" Pillar tie-in Coiz did. I will be stretching my wheelbase down the road and I want to keep the tie-ins as close to the inside as possible. I have to look closer at my "A" Pillar to see how I can tie it in to the frame. I may tie it into my sliders since they are tied to the frame with 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Thank you again for all the ideas.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

My CJ5.. I used 1/2" thick rubber pads between the tie in and the tub..
Tacked it all together, tossed it on the welding table and welded it up. Then, went back and welded it in place.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Using the Nerf bar, very good idea.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.