Roll cage as air storage for On-Board Air???? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Roll cage as air storage for On-Board Air????

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
keepsta
1984 CJ7 

Pressureizing something that is not designed as a pressure vessel is a very bad idea. There are specific requirements in the industrial world for material selection and welding certification, these codes and standards are there for a reason. Unless you are an ASME certified welder and have a background in mechanical engineering, for safety's sake don't try it. I've seen the damage that 5psi can do on the right amount of area.

keepsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

If you had a compressor that could pump it up to 3,000 PSI then you would have some reasonable volume to work with, but the average 12v powered compressor isn't even going to store enough volume to inflate one 33" swamper.
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

While I wouldn't be overly concerned about filling a cage with 150psi of air, it could be a nightmare to fix a "leak" later on down the road. Say you had a thin spot down around the base somewhere (where it would be difficult to reach), you could end up having to pull the cage out just to fix a pinhole..

I used a 10lb fire extinguisher for OBA air storage. Worked like a charm. I welded a drain valve in the bottom and a barbed fitting in the neck so I could connect an airline to it. Mounted the tank above the rear axle under the Jeep.

Combined with an engine-driven York Compressor, it easily ran a 1/2" impact gun and filled tires.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
While I wouldn't be overly concerned about filling a cage with 150psi of air, it could be a nightmare to fix a "leak" later on down the road. Say you had a thin spot down around the base somewhere (where it would be difficult to reach), you could end up having to pull the cage out just to fix a pinhole..

I used a 10lb fire extinguisher for OBA air storage. Worked like a charm. I welded a drain valve in the bottom and a barbed fitting in the neck so I could connect an airline to it. Mounted the tank above the rear axle under the Jeep.

Combined with an engine-driven York Compressor, it easily ran a 1/2" impact gun and filled tires.
thans a realy cool idea
crcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #20
Daves77CJ7
1977 CJ7 

Thanks again guys. Besrk; I like the idea of the 10lb fire extinguisher above the rear axle. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of that modification would you?? That would be ideal for what I am doing with my York compressor.
Anyone add a "dome light" on their cage somehow? Did you have to run wires through the cage to make this happen?
Thanks
Dave
Daves77CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #21
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves77CJ7 View Post
Thanks again guys. Besrk; I like the idea of the 10lb fire extinguisher above the rear axle. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of that modification would you?? That would be ideal for what I am doing with my York compressor.
Anyone add a "dome light" on their cage somehow? Did you have to run wires through the cage to make this happen?
Thanks
Dave
You can run a dome light easy on a cage a couple ways to do it as well. Easiest and probably the best would be to run the wire in a loom to the location from a power source and zip tie or clamp it to the cage then run your cage padding over that. You could run it through the tube but it will be harder to add or repair parts of it.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 04:35 AM   #22
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The OBA system was in my old CJ5. Currently all the parts (compressor, hoses, tank..etc.) are all sitting in a box on the shelf. If I get some freetime later this Spring, I'm going to install all that stuff in my current CJ5.

It was kind of a PITA to clean out the dry chemical that was left over in the extinguisher.. the stuff was like "talc".. it just beaded up the water I tried to use to clean it out. I just kept filling it up, shaking it around and pouring it out..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #23
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I'd just go to a heavy truck junkyard and get an air tank from there. Since they are designed for the 150 psi, have plenty of placed to tap in already welded in, a nice water drain, and maybe even the safety pop-off valve already installed. There are different lengths and diameters, just look around and see what would work best.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #24
Rasshopper
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves77CJ7 View Post
Anybody use their cage/bar instead of using tanks? Does it take a full cage for enough capacity or will a standard bar work? I have a York compressor and I will be mounting in on mine within the month and would like to do the "right thing" for the storage.
Thanks
Dave
Dave,
I have a Yoke compressor also, I have a cj8. If you have ever seen the roll bar that and 8 has you will notice the tube diamater is much larger than any other jeep roll bars or cages. I caped all the ends of the bar and filled all the pin holes in the wields. This does double duty as my air tank. I have had it that way for almost 7 years. No problems. I figured the size of the bar was about the size of a 5 gal tank which is common on most home compressors. I have used it many many times and as far as durablity. My regulator is set at 150psi no more. I've never thought of it being a hazard. I have heard of a few guys using their tubed bumpers as air tanks. Good luck!
RASS
Rasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #25
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Used an aluminum medical oxygen cylinder in my 3B. Had to machine a bit off the valve end to get it to fit between the frame rails but these tanks are built for about 3000 psi so there is a lot of extra beef. The drain was just tapped in. I run the 10 inch York @ 150 psi and I am not sure you even need a tank with one of those. I guess my concern with using the roll cage would be more of developing a stress crack leak and having a 120 db blast someplace in the vicinity of someone's ears.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #26
Daves77CJ7
1977 CJ7 

Thanks for all the input guys. That is exactly what I was hoping for.
Dave
Daves77CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.