Roll cage as air storage for On-Board Air???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Roll cage as air storage for On-Board Air????

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Daves77CJ7
1977 CJ7 

Roll cage as air storage for On-Board Air????

Anybody use their cage/bar instead of using tanks? Does it take a full cage for enough capacity or will a standard bar work? I have a York compressor and I will be mounting in on mine within the month and would like to do the "right thing" for the storage.
Thanks
Dave

Daves77CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves77CJ7 View Post
Anybody use their cage/bar instead of using tanks? Does it take a full cage for enough capacity or will a standard bar work? I have a York compressor and I will be mounting in on mine within the month and would like to do the "right thing" for the storage.
Thanks
Dave
ive never herd that before sounds like it could be a pipebomb next to your head but sounds cool post pics
crcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
CSP

You get very little capacity.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcj7 View Post
ive never herd that before sounds like it could be a pipebomb next to your head...
I've seen it posted alot as a feature- but always sort of wondered the same thing myself

I get nervous as heck even having my power tank mounted in the back of my work truck, but never give a second thought about the compressor tanks next to it, or in my shop...

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I've seen it posted alot as a feature- but always sort of wondered the same thing myself

I get nervous as heck even having my power tank mounted in the back of my work truck, but never give a second thought about the compressor tanks next to it, or in my shop...

Hoss
ahah that is true . i just wouldent want to roll in that and i have gotten pretty close could make for more pucker factor aha then you dont have to ride harder trails
Unread 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Gemelos
1976 CJ7 

Friend of me got his sidebars as airstorage. Works perfect...
Gemelos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Daves77CJ7
1977 CJ7 

I like the idea of the cage instead of tanks because Jeeps already have limited space. Once you have tool kit, tow strap, first aid, etc, then the idea of storing a pressure tank seems too much.

CSP; You mentioned that it would be little storage. Could I still air up the occasional tire and blow a little dust out of the interior using the cage?
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves77CJ7 View Post
.... Could I still air up the occasional tire and blow a little dust out of the interior using the cage?
it very simple, really...

How To Calculate Volume In A Pipe | TutorVista.com

cliff's notes version: 'The volume of a cylinder is \pi r^2 h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder. The amount of air actually contained within the tank depends on the pressure that the gas is under, though.'

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Skotter

I've considered doing the air tank/roll bar thing myself with a 6 point cage. Thought about a pressure valve in the back so that would go before a pipe gave way in an over-pressure situation. But if the cage was built right, and the calculations were done right for pressures, I don't think it would be a safety issue at all. I wouldn't run a crazy pressure in it, but I wouldn't do that in a regular tank either. It's not like it's a propane tank that could be explosive. Even if it over-pressured, and the relief valve failed, it would only crack at a weak point, probably a weld. It's bolted down so nothing to fly around. You'd have to work out the water removal system from the 'tank' somehow, maybe a series of purge valves at each low point.
Skotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcj7 View Post
ive never herd that before sounds like it could be a pipebomb next to your head but sounds cool post pics
Thats the first thing that popped into my head.
off camber...rollover...BOOM!
i'd just slap a real air tank behind the rear seat and mount it securely.

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
honaise
1981 CJ7 

I've seen a few that had front tube bumper, rear bumper, and nerf bars hooked together with air lines. Looked pretty cool with quick-connects welded on the front and rear bumpers. Seems like it would be easy to catch on something on the trail though.
honaise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

My biggest concern would be rust from the moisture in the air getting trapped in the cage and rusting it from the inside out. Why risk causing damage to the cage that could result in your death from a weekend cage. A small 1-2.5 gal air tank has lots of mounting choices in a CJ from in the passenger area to under the jeep. If your wanting to create a air tank in something else besides a air tank then I would look at the bumpers since they are normally larger and therefor can hold more air. Just remember making a weld air tight is hard to do.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

i would rather just bendup and hide some pipeing near the rockers or under the jeep because altho a crack and loud his is the most proable it could go verry wrong ... and the pressure in the pipe could cause the pipe to fail easyer
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Daves77CJ7
1977 CJ7 

Good points guys. I think I will stay away from the cage idea. My restoration is not going to have any tube bumpers so I guess I will go with the storage tank in the back behind the rear seat. I will look around for some options on tanks.
Dave
Unread 02-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

no tube bumpers all the cool jeeps at the mall have them?????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.