Roll bar fitment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Roll bar fitment

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 08-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Roll bar fitment

I am replacing my '78 tub with a repaired '80 tub. Having trouble getting the roll bar to

1) go under the lip on the inside

2) seat up against the tub

Did the roll bar change in the later years? Is there some sort of trick to get it under the lip

OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Pull the legs together with a cargo strap before lowering it into the tub.
Unread 08-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer
Pull the legs together with a cargo strap before lowering it into the tub.
^ this is what I had to do to get it into my new tub on my '78.

Make sure you have your spacers for the bolts. Otherwise you'll mangle the tub when tightening the bolts.
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

So pulling the legs together changes the angle of the bracket allowing it to go under the lip?
Unread 08-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5
So pulling the legs together changes the angle of the bracket allowing it to go under the lip?
When you say lip you mean the top edge of the tub above the fender well?

Pulling the legs together basically pinches the bottom of the roll bar together to make it narrow enough to get past the lip as you drop it in. Then you release it and it springs back out.
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #6
CSP

The rollbar did change in mid-78. The later ones have the front vertical bar going to the floor rather than sitting on the top of the rear wheelhouse.

None of that should affect how yours will fit the new tub though. The distance from the top of the wheelhouse to the bottom edge of the top lip should be the same on both tubs. You could measure to verify if you still have the old tub.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

bdatkins,
Yes that is the lip I'm referring to. If I am understanding them correctly, the shop is saying it won't slide under the lip.

CSP,
I have the old style roll that mounts to the top of the wheel house. I am stopping by there tomorrow to try to figure out what to do now. I still have my old tub so I'll take some measurements.

Edit: does approx 2 3/4" from the top of the wheel house the bottom of the lip sounds about right?

Last edited by OrangeCJ-5; 08-24-2015 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: More detail
Unread 08-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #8
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

This is a '76 rollbar sitting in a YJ tub.

Unread 08-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Got the roll bar in. Is there a hardware kit avail that sets the the gap along the top if the wheel house?

image-1648755855.jpg

Also does the top sit completely under the inside indent?

image-1651585961.jpg
Unread 08-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

There is no gap along the top of the wheelwell. The rollbar assembly literally sits right on top of the wheelwell.

As for side to side position, 1" tubular spacers are used on both sides. These go over the bolts as you assemble the bar to the tub.

Unread 08-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The rollbar did change in mid-78. The later ones have the front vertical bar rusting through the floor rather than sitting on the top of the rear wheelhouse.
Fixed
Unread 08-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Edit: does approx 2 3/4" from the top of the wheel house the bottom of the lip sounds about right?
Did you measure them both and compare? That's what mattered before they were able to slide it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer View Post
There is no gap along the top of the wheelwell. The rollbar assembly literally sits right on top of the wheelwell.
You misunderstood. There isn't a gap between the wheelwell and rollbar. There is a distance between the top of the wheelwell and the bottom edge of the part on a CJ5 tub that's folded over. The CJ5 tub top edge is not the same as your CJ7 either.

Quote:
As for side to side position, 1" tubular spacers are used on both sides. These go over the bolts as you assemble the bar to the tub.
Yes, but the bolts have to be in the holes in the tub and the sleeves slid over them before the rollbar is in it's final position on a CJ5. There's no room to slide them in on a '5 after the rollbar is in because of the top lip difference.
Unread 08-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

They already had the roll bar in by the time I got there today.

Ok from what I gather I need a 1" spacer to go between the vertical part of the roll bar bracket and the side of the tub. What size bolts go through the side of the tub and what size go through wheel house? They had to cut off all the bolts because they were rusted so bad so I don't have any of the hardware.

Is that spacer what determines the inside edge of the horizontal part of the mount? It appears from the rust marks in my old tub that the inside edge of the roll bar mount runs along the edge of the rolled bead on the top of the wheel house.

I am having someone fabricate the 2 plates that sit along the front edge of the wheel house. I am thinking it is that reinforcement plate that determines where the holes will need to be drilled in the tub and the wheel house. If someone could take a couple pictures of:
how their bar lines up with the bead on the wheel house,
how much of a gap there is between the bar and the tub and
How the vertical mount sits on the inside of the tub I'd really appreciate it.
Unread 08-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
CSP

Does the shop not own a tape measure or do they just lack the ability to use it? Seriously, they should be able to figure out the diameter and length of the needed bolts with a tape measure and a little math.

Just off the top of my head the spacer is 1" (as already stated), the rollbar flange is either 1/8" or 3/16". Add the thickness of a flat washer and a nut (probably another 1/2") and a safe bet for the bolt length is 2". The bolt heads are 9/16", meaning that the bolt diameter is 3/8".

Once the spacers are installed and those side bolts/nuts tightened, that will dictate the location of the holes that go down through the tops of the wheelwells, so yes, the spacer does determine the horizontal location. Given that information you really shouldn't need pictures of what it looks like.
Unread 08-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5
bdatkins, Yes that is the lip I'm referring to. If I am understanding them correctly, the shop is saying it won't slide under the lip. CSP, I have the old style roll that mounts to the top of the wheel house. I am stopping by there tomorrow to try to figure out what to do now. I still have my old tub so I'll take some measurements. Edit: does approx 2 3/4" from the top of the wheel house the bottom of the lip sounds about right?
Not trying to be a smart azz, but, I would think a good shop would be able to figure this out, as well as spacers, and bolt diameter and length. Especially since you said the shop cut the old bolts out, this also tells me the spacers were with the bolts.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.