Rocket City CJ7 Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rocket City CJ7 Build

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #91
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I posted a few weeks ago on some trading I did to acquire a hard top and doors for my CJ. Neither are perfect and will require work this upcoming winter. I'll post a couple of pics below of my prizes. The top definitely poses a storage problem, so I decided to put my engineering background to work and design a top hoist that would not put a lot of strain on the ceiling in the garage and also be easy to lift. I also plan to install a couple of safety bars under the top, held by chain, to support the weight of the top while raised. I don't want to risk dropping the top onto my jeep. Pics are of the top hoist lowered and raised. I also made the center pulley where I can remove it and allow the top to be lowered almost to the ground. I'll post a couple more once I get the top lifted and the safety bars in place. I used a gear drive winch to raise/lower and instead of attaching the handle, I used a couple of jam nuts and used a cordless drill to turn it. I admit I found that idea when searching for ideas and it worked great.

img_1731-1024x768-.jpg   img_1732-1024x768-.jpg   img_1733-1024x768-.jpg   top-rack-1.jpg   top-rack-2.jpg  

auskier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #92
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Here are a couple of pics with the top lifted and the extra supports under it. Glad to have that part done and reclaim some floor space. Overkill, but I sleep better at night with it over my CJ. Now where to store the doors....
top-rack-4-1024x768-.jpg   top-rack-3-1024x768-.jpg  
Unread 04-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #93
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I have been doing some dealing and trading to get the final outcome I want for the next step in my build. I first worked out a trade for the side windows and seals I needed for my hard top, Thanks Brian. I traded him a set of TJ uppers to fit his half doors and new half top he fabricated. Cool guy and I look forward to dealing with him more.

Next, I traded my full doors pictured above for a set of half doors and fiberglass uppers. Drove the 2+ hrs to Nashville to make the trade. They are pictures below. cleaned up ok, but need a little TLC. More on the rebuild of those to come in the next post.
img_1765-1024x768-.jpg   img_1830.jpg   img_1831.jpg   img_1832.jpg  
Unread 04-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #94
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Got the doors taken apart last weekend and started getting them prepped for paint and rebuild. I stripped the paint and sanded most of the way for the painter. One has a spot I fixed this week and I welded up the holes for the belt rail since I have the uppers. Uppers cleaned up pretty good too. I called Bestop and they actually still have some of the capture nuts that hold the uppers on. No armrests, but I will be on the lookout for them. Disassembly went, well it took a while. 3 of the torx screw came out ok, another 7 came out with a hammer and impact screwdriver. 2 had to be carefully drilled out and threads chased. I parted with an old school amp, a Phoenix Gold ZX350, I had lying around to fund the painter and to order seals and door stops. Next order of business was to sandblast and powdercoat the hinges and other parts. Powdercoater turned the parts in less than a day. Pics below.
img_1827-1024x768-.jpg   img_1828-1024x768-.jpg  
img_1818-1024x768-800x600-.jpg

img_1819-800x600-.jpg

img_1820-800x600-.jpg

Unread 04-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #95
auskier
1983 CJ7 

And finally up to today! worked this afternoon to assemble and clean some unique mirrors I had lying around. also cleaned and sanded the inner panels. Then used the same Duplicolor vinyl paint I painted the dash pad with to re-paint the door panels and handles. Cleaned and polished the door handle ends as well. I sold an old set of speakers to fund more door parts, so right now I am out of pocket $0 for my door build. I ordered replacement inner door handles and the door inserts today as well as a pair of door stop brackets that bolt to the lower hinge on the tub. I'll clean those up when they come in and powdercoat them when I tackle the parts from the hard top. Pics are of the assembled mirrors, I haven't decided if I will use them or not, the painted door panels and handles, powdercoated factory handles and the cleaned door pull covers.

I talked to a local dealer and he will cut a key to fit my door lock cylinders as long as I bring them to him and have proof of ownership on the vehicle they are going on. A lot cheaper than a locksmith. I'll try and tackle that next week.

Brian
img_1837-1024x768-.jpg   img_1838-1024x768-.jpg   img_1839-1024x768-.jpg   img_1834-1024x768-.jpg   img_1835-1024x768-.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.