I posted a few weeks ago on some trading I did to acquire a hard top and doors for my CJ. Neither are perfect and will require work this upcoming winter. I'll post a couple of pics below of my prizes. The top definitely poses a storage problem, so I decided to put my engineering background to work and design a top hoist that would not put a lot of strain on the ceiling in the garage and also be easy to lift. I also plan to install a couple of safety bars under the top, held by chain, to support the weight of the top while raised. I don't want to risk dropping the top onto my jeep. Pics are of the top hoist lowered and raised. I also made the center pulley where I can remove it and allow the top to be lowered almost to the ground. I'll post a couple more once I get the top lifted and the safety bars in place. I used a gear drive winch to raise/lower and instead of attaching the handle, I used a couple of jam nuts and used a cordless drill to turn it. I admit I found that idea when searching for ideas and it worked great.
Here are a couple of pics with the top lifted and the extra supports under it. Glad to have that part done and reclaim some floor space. Overkill, but I sleep better at night with it over my CJ. Now where to store the doors....
I have been doing some dealing and trading to get the final outcome I want for the next step in my build. I first worked out a trade for the side windows and seals I needed for my hard top, Thanks Brian. I traded him a set of TJ uppers to fit his half doors and new half top he fabricated. Cool guy and I look forward to dealing with him more.
Next, I traded my full doors pictured above for a set of half doors and fiberglass uppers. Drove the 2+ hrs to Nashville to make the trade. They are pictures below. cleaned up ok, but need a little TLC. More on the rebuild of those to come in the next post.
Got the doors taken apart last weekend and started getting them prepped for paint and rebuild. I stripped the paint and sanded most of the way for the painter. One has a spot I fixed this week and I welded up the holes for the belt rail since I have the uppers. Uppers cleaned up pretty good too. I called Bestop and they actually still have some of the capture nuts that hold the uppers on. No armrests, but I will be on the lookout for them. Disassembly went, well it took a while. 3 of the torx screw came out ok, another 7 came out with a hammer and impact screwdriver. 2 had to be carefully drilled out and threads chased. I parted with an old school amp, a Phoenix Gold ZX350, I had lying around to fund the painter and to order seals and door stops. Next order of business was to sandblast and powdercoat the hinges and other parts. Powdercoater turned the parts in less than a day. Pics below.
And finally up to today! worked this afternoon to assemble and clean some unique mirrors I had lying around. also cleaned and sanded the inner panels. Then used the same Duplicolor vinyl paint I painted the dash pad with to re-paint the door panels and handles. Cleaned and polished the door handle ends as well. I sold an old set of speakers to fund more door parts, so right now I am out of pocket $0 for my door build. I ordered replacement inner door handles and the door inserts today as well as a pair of door stop brackets that bolt to the lower hinge on the tub. I'll clean those up when they come in and powdercoat them when I tackle the parts from the hard top. Pics are of the assembled mirrors, I haven't decided if I will use them or not, the painted door panels and handles, powdercoated factory handles and the cleaned door pull covers.
I talked to a local dealer and he will cut a key to fit my door lock cylinders as long as I bring them to him and have proof of ownership on the vehicle they are going on. A lot cheaper than a locksmith. I'll try and tackle that next week.
Not a ton of progress to report, my painter still has the doors, 8 months later. Never tell a buddy your not in a hurry . I did however get some new shoes to go on the wheels I picked up about 18 months ago during the rebuild. Finally got rid of the 80's wheels and tires. Went with 315/70/17 BFG All-terrain's. The wheels tuck in a little better than the old ones, so I'm happy with the look. Next winter project is redoing the hard top.
Picked up a few parts finds this week. Scored a pretty nice laredo grill cover, factory air conditioner setup with condenser, driver quality laredo bumpers, front wheel center caps, front sway bar, and trailer hitch. I'm keeping the grill and ac, but am willing to part with other parts if they might help anybody out on a build. Here is the grill.
Supposed to finally get my doors back this week too... We will see
I got the second door installed last night, man new seals make it had to close. Traded some parts with local guys, and may be getting a NOS laredo grill in place of the used one I had sourced earlier. First pic is of the drivers door. Next are outside today in real light.