Rocket City CJ7 Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rocket City CJ7 Build

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #61
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Got the roll bar bolted back in, new hardware. Also got the new front seat belts bolted in, although I had to order some 6" extended brackets from Quadratec, for the replacement buckles, and for clearance with the tuffy console. Today I got the fuel tank reinstalled, and got the bottom of the tank repainted. It's morning I sold an extra set of seats I had so now I can order my fold and tumble rear seat! More to follow this week.

auskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #62
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I decided tonight that I wanted to research what my drive ratio specs were as it sits right now. As I have said before, I'm running an SM465/NP205 with the stock AMC20 rear. A little cleaning of the differential revealed an "A" for the code, 3.54 open diff.

So, first gear on the trans is 6.55, and the transfer case is 1.96. So my final drive comes out to 45.44:1
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #63
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Now on to the front of the jeep for a little time. I am not planning on rebuilding the motor/trans, they work well as is. But, they do need to be cleaned up and painted. The exhaust on the jeep was done very poorly, the PO ran the curb side exhaust and muffler very close to the transfer case. So close that it melted the speedo cable. I remedied that with a saws all, no more exhaust. I pulled the manifolds off and will sand blast them, along with the pulley's and brackets from the motor, later this week. and NO BROKEN OR STRIPPED STUDS Going to stay with the orange color on the motor, a gunmetal color on the manifolds, and black for all of the brackets and pulleys. Not too much flash over the chrome valve covers, those will have to go at a later date. Exhaust will be aluminized for corrosion resistance. I'm on the fence about straight pipes or a round "glasspack" style muffler. If anyone is running either, please give me your opinions. I hope to be bolting the motor back together later this week or weekend. Then I can start hanging the grill, radiator, lights, etc. I'm going to leave the fenders for about last, after I re-fire the motor and have the wiring done. It sure is easy to work on with nothing in the way. Attached are a couple of pics of the motor, naked and dirty. I'll post more as I progress.
img_1462-1024x768-.jpg   img_1463-1024x768-.jpg  
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #64
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Last night I spent several hours sand blasting, cleaned up the manifolds, pulleys, alt bracket and fan. Tonight, I cleaned and degreased the engine and oil pan, taped off the intake and valve covers and masked off the frame and body. I'm not one for tearing into a pretty good running motor, so just cleaning and re-spraying. 2 good coats of Chevy orange and now the motor looks like it goes with the rest of the new paint. I opted for VHT manifold paint, so we will see how it turns out after I bake the manifolds in the oven. Gloss black for all of the pulley's and brackets. If all goes to plan I will reassemble the motor this weekend as planned and then start on the grill and hood. Pictures of my progress are below.
img_1470-768x1024-.jpg   img_1471-768x1024-.jpg   img_1472-1024x768-.jpg   img_1473-1024x768-.jpg  
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #65
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Today I started putting the motor back together, all the parts I painted had time to dry. I got all the pulley's, alternator, PS pump, fan, and manifolds all bolted back on. last thing I did was take all the spark plug wires off and degrease them. It took over an hour, but was easy work while watching football today. They came out great. New plugs while it was all apart as well. Tomorrow I hope to start on prepping the grill and repainting the radiator. Goal for the week is to have hood, grill, windshield back on. I may put the fenders on as well, but it sure is nice to work on without them. Here's a couple of pics of the completed motor. I think it cleaned up well.
img_1479-1024x768-.jpg   img_1480-1024x768-.jpg  
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #66
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Today was pretty productive, non jeep stuff of completing alt the required yard work, fixing some low voltage lights, and tree trimming. Then time for jeep work. I decided to try my same trick from the spark plug wires, purple power. That stuff works miracles. I thought I would have to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses because of all the dirt build up and stains. Some elbow grease and time and they look almost brand new. After that, I got the windshield bolted back on, with the help of my oldest son, 6. Then, my youngest, 4, helped me re-install the bumperette's and trailer hitch bar. Both of these were powder coated the same as the rest of my brackets. My personal taste, I like the look a lot. After that, I cleaned and repainted the radiator to re-install. Tonight, I got the grill/radiator back on the front. Still need to align everything and snug down, but we are getting there. Hood will be on this week, maybe by Wed. Pics follow as always, hope you enjoy.
img_1481-1024x768-.jpg   img_1485-1024x768-.jpg   img_1487-1024x752-.jpg   img_1488-1024x768-.jpg  
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #67
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Last night I wired and installed a JVC headunit in my Tuffy console. I used connectors on the speaker and power connections to make it easier to install/remove the console. Unplug 3 connections and the console will come right out. Slow night tonight, I re-adjusted the grill to what I think is close to correct. Will finalize with hood and fenders. I pulled out the front lighting harness and rebuilt it. Added new wire and integrated grounds. Also added the wiring for my new front flood lights. Re-loomed everything with black split loom and installed. One thing I did also fix was to get rid of those nasty factory splices. Once the harness was installed, I put in new parking lights and re-installed the headlight buckets. Last was to install my Trucklite LED headlights and new headlight bezels. Engine wiring will probably be next. Here are a couple of pics of the grill with all of the lights installed and one of the headunit.
img_1489-768x1024-.jpg   img_1490-1024x768-.jpg   img_1491-1024x768-.jpg  
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #68
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I'm a little behind on updates, got the hood installed this week, lined up and all. Now it is wiring time. I got the engine wiring sorted out, loomed and installed. Also got my reverse lights switch in the trans hooked in. I eliminated the wiring not in use. Now on to the inside. I have several wiring/plug questions I will post in another topic. Traveling next week so I won't have a chance to work on anything.
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #69
auskier
1983 CJ7 

It has been a couple of weeks since an update. Not much progress and traveling for work. I have been spending time adding to and correcting the factory wiring harness under the hood and behind the dash. I hate the factory splices. I have now got all of the wiring added that I think I need for the new gauges, lights, and radio. Now it all has to wired to the factory harness. I started on the grounds, as I added grounds to everything and have a 10 ga going straight to the battery. Plan to do ignition and panel lights tonight. I'll post pics once. It is all wired.
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #70
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Your CJ is really looking good. Nice work.

Please keep us posted.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #71
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I figured I would take a couple of "in-progress" pics of the dash wiring. Here it is, I still have quite a few wires to terminate as you can see. I also took a picture of the Carling switches I am using for the aux lights, front and rear. Next is a pic of the rear area flood lights, mounted by the bumperette's. They are 1000 lumen lights, flood pattern. The last 2 pics are of the front flood lights I am putting on the bumper and of the light I am using under-hood. The front floods are 1500 lumen. I don't think there will be any issues seeing around the jeep in the woods. I also shouldn't get any glare because of where things are mounted.
img_1516-1024x768-.jpg   img_1517-1024x768-.jpg   img_1518-1024x768-.jpg   img_1521-1024x768-.jpg   img_1520-1024x768-.jpg  

Unread 10-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #72
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Had a productive day watching SEC football today. Since I had to control the little ones, I couldn't be in the garage completely, so I decided to work on the 15" wheels that are on the jeep currently. I have a set of 17" Eagles, but it's hard to justify 1000-1500 for new tires for them since the ones on the jeep work for now. The current wheels are a little old-school, but look pretty good, save for the white oxidation. Some 00 steel wool, a scotch-brite pad and some blue magic metal polish gave me the results below. One before pic and 2 after pics. Now they aren't mirror finish, but they look tons better! I also ditched the tired Ultra logo decal for the rear wheels. Is there a Jeep decal that would fit? about a 2" diameter?
img_1513-1024x768-.jpg   img_1514-1024x768-.jpg   img_1515-1024x768-.jpg  
Unread 10-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #73
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I made a lot of progress today, no rain and kids that were entertaining themselves. I finished up the remaining wiring behind the dash, ignition, panel lamps, and the wires for the gauge cluster. I also got the radio wired and working. I have to say the pioneer speakers that everyone recommended sound great. After that, I wired up the oil, water and tach signals. Bolted the exhaust pipes, what's left of them, back on to prevent having just manifolds. Filled it up with coolant and crossed my fingers. Ten months since it fired last, December 2012. Turned it over to get some fuel up from the tank, small shot of ether, and let it rip. Fired right up, first try. I took a couple of videos of it running as well as a couple of pics. First ones are dash mostly wired, rear surround lights, after it was cranked, and a night shot of the gauges. I have bright white LED's in the speedo, regular bulbs in the rest. Trying to decide what I like best. I may also go with red to match the other switches I have. The last three pics are of the rear lights on at night, the LED headlights in the front, and of the passenger fender that I started bolting back on. PROGRESS!!!!.
img_1522-1024x768-.jpg   img_1523-1024x768-.jpg   img_1528-1024x768-.jpg   img_1529-1024x768-.jpg   img_1530-1024x768-.jpg  

img_1531-1024x768-.jpg   img_1538-1024x768-.jpg  
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #74
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Love the lighting
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #75
auskier
1983 CJ7 

More progress to report, although my pictures seem to be taking a while to load to the computer. I got the dash wiring completed and tied up, dash is in place, bolted down, all covers back on, dash pad bolted back down. Turned out great. I also got the hood latches re-mounted, so the hood is complete. I mounted the passenger side seat to the seat frame and got it mounted in the body. Opened the 2nd seat, and it has a dang tear in it, and the bolsters on the seat bottom look like crap. Contacted Jeephut and they contacted Rugged Ridge so we will see what happens. The big problem is I got the seats back in May when buying all my parts, and didn't open them until just now. No issues on the outside of the box, so I thought all was well. I started on installing the fender flares, and will finish that tomorrow. Steering back in and tight. Still hoping to be ready for exhaust by the weekend, depending on the seat issue. I should just have the flares, rear seat, and front bumper left.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.