Rocket City CJ7 Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rocket City CJ7 Build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #46
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Right now it has 15x10 with 35x12.50x15's on it, although they seem to not be true 35" tall as is normal.

Lift is 2.5" spring, and before I painted it I put a daystar 1" body lift and redid the body mounts.

I have a set of 17x9 eagle wheels that will eventually go on it. But it is hard to justify new tires when the ones on it are still good.

auskier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #47
74G8R2
1980 CJ7 

Thought they looked like 35s. I'll probably use something less to avoid an extreme lift or body mods. Thanks, keep the pics coming.
74G8R2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Spent Friday night and Saturday night sanding, vacuuming, and cleaning the inside of the tub to prep for Herculiner. Here are a couple of pics of it prepped.
image.jpg  
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #49
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Another view
image.jpg  
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #50
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Tailgate. I wasn't going to do it, but I jk it will look good matching.
image.jpg  
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #51
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Here are a couple after the first coat. I think it will look even better after the second.
image.jpg  
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #52
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Tailgate
image.jpg  
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #53
74G8R2
1980 CJ7 

Is it a rattle can application? Prep work looked well done. Just sand paper and elbow grease?
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #54
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I used a small paint brush for seams and corners. Rest is a small roller that comes with the kit. I prepped with a DA sander, wire brush and scotch brite pad. Here is a final shot from this morning.
image.jpg  
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #55
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Finally started putting parts back together this week. Mounted the tailgate, new tailgate seal, cables for tailgate support, spare tire bumper, and my Grote LED tail lights.
img_1433-800x600-.jpg

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #56
auskier
1983 CJ7 

working on wiring today, for the rear of the body. I am adding dedicated grounds, running all new wires for lights and sending units, and adding wiring for rear facing LED flood lights. But, in order to get the old wiring out, had to drop the fuel tank. I decided to install the new sending unit for the VDO fuel gauge while I had it out. Well don't you know that my aftermarket sending unit doesn't have the pickup tube like the factory one. So... time for some fabrication and fitting to make it work. I pulled the factory sender out and broke it off of the pickup tube. It was not working anyway, so no loss. I then disassembled the VDO sender. Only 2 things I had to do was to open the hole in the factory sender to .395 to accept the new sender, and add a new post for ground reference. Hardest part was getting the new float and all back through the hole. Had to reposition the float to the correct place once I got it in. Below is a pic of the altered sending unit. and I did make sure to check the ohms BEFORE I reinstalled it in the tank, and also after I put it in the tank. Nothing like an unwanted ground to mess up your day.
img_1434-800x600-.jpg

Unread 09-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #57
auskier
1983 CJ7 

More work on the rear wiring tonight. Layout of the rear harness, new TXL wire, circuit printed, with integral grounds. Hope to eliminate any "wiring problems" by replacing everything . Here is a picture of the printing on the wire.
image.jpg  

Last edited by auskier; 09-01-2013 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Pic
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #58
74G8R2
1980 CJ7 

That's just not fair.
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #59
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Made a fair bit of progress today, it was sunny so I didn't have to work only in the garage. Started out installing the rear lighting harness I made last night. Fit was pretty accurate, and size wise it was as small as the factory one, even with my added circuits for dome light, rear work lights, and dedicated grounds. I managed to hide the 2 harness covers for by the driver side roll bar. I cleaned the garage up so well it took me 30 minutes to find them, but they finally turned up. After that, I got the heater box, fresh air box, both rebuilt over the summer thanks to some great threads here, defrost duct and hose installed. E-brake pedal was put in place and re-attached, as well as I got the tail lights connected and bolted back down tight. Last pic is of my modified fuel sender reinstalled in the tank. I ran a dedicated ground for it as well, and put in a weatherpack connector for easy tank removal and installation.

Spare tire carrier is up next as soon as I find the correct bolts for it. Is anyone using a plastic washer in between the carrier brackets and tubing? Or some bushings? I had my carrier powdercoated and don't want to mar the finish. Any ideas on where to get some washers and the shoulder bolts are appreciated.
img_1445-768x1024-.jpg   img_1444-1024x768-.jpg   img_1446-768x1024-.jpg  
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #60
auskier
1983 CJ7 

It's been a quiet week, not a lot has gotten done. I did manage to install the tire carrier and sand blasted my extra support pieces from Keith's design. I also found a pair of 7/16" stainless hex bolts to replace the rusted pivot bolts for the tire carrier. a 3" hex bolt has the perfect length of unthreaded shoulder to replace the factory bolts. Just trim to length. After that I got the roll bar set back in place and started bolting it down. I have to say I really like the powdercoated finish!
img_1449-1024x768-.jpg   img_1452-1024x768-.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.