Rocket City CJ7 Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rocket City CJ7 Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #16
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I guess I need to update my profile. Current setup is a 350 chevy,SM465, and NP205. Hopefully oil pressure will be around 20 at idle. More to follow.

auskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Spent a little more time on the dash tonight. Got the speedo and tach mounted, fan switch mounted, and the glove box door, latch, and grab bar. Also test fit a speaker I had for clearance. Pics below.
image.jpg  
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Here is one of the glove box and grab bar.
image.jpg  
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looks freakin awesome, can't wait to see the progress pics.
Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I was never big on straying from the stock Jeep dash but I do like this one. Nice!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I started out that same way but after researching replacement gauges I wasn't happy with the oem replacements. I already have a non-stock drivetrain, so I decided I would make it my own on the dash as well. I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so all new wiring with grounds is happening as I put everything back together, and replacing the lovely factory wire splices with what looks like duct tape on them. The other major reason was reliability and aftermarket gauge choices. I wanted what I picked to look like it could go in there from a styling point. The tub is being painted, hope to have it back in a week or two.
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Worked on masking and painting inner fenders and wheel wells today. My "buddy" priced paint job didn't get all of that prepped/painted. I opted for a lowes special semi-gloss black, fits with the remaining budget I have and makes for easy touch-up down the road. Also did the inside of the tailgate, although I may end up putting herculiner on it just like the floor will have.

Anybody put expanding foam inside the tailgate? I have a couple of loose tabs off the old seal that I couldn't get out. My thought is to lightly spray some expanding foam in and shake the loose pieces into it to keep them from rattling around. Any thoughts.

Fender is pictured below, and I will post a couple of pics from the paint booth too.
image.jpg  
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Pic of the hood
image.jpg  
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Tailgate
image.jpg  
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #25
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Fender
image.jpg  
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #26
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Wow, thats looking great!

I can't believe I missed a rebuild so close to me. I live a little under an hour from you.

I do like the dash, and there are very few custom dashes that I do like. I still haven't decided whether or not to keep mine stock, but I've got plenty of time to decide. It will be several years before I get the chance to start working on her again...

Anyway, keep up the good work! I'll be watching.
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #27
auskier
1983 CJ7 

I started working on the tailgate this week, got the cable brackets installed, latches, and a new seal. My old seal lost a few of the tabs that held it one during removal, so I had a bad rattle when the tailgate moved. Solution, tape,up the holes and use some spray foam to hold any loose particles in place. Didn't over fill by any means, but it sure is solid and doesn't rattle any more. Left area for any oils true to get out so no rust worries.

Now on to the hinges: I have had everything Powdercoated a hammered black finish, but all of my hardware is stainless. So do I powdercoat the heads to match or leave them stainless. I will post pics later, but welcome opinions.
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #28
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Here is a hinge with the old stainless, bolt. I have new ones to put back in.
image.jpg  
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Well, just made a $100 mistake, broke my new windshield just as I was finishing up getting it in the frame. If anyone has a glass hookup in north alabama, I'm gonna let the pro's put the next one in.
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #30
auskier
1983 CJ7 

Got my Pioneer 5-1/4's today and got them installed on the dash. Like I read on several posts, spaced them out to keep the dash from getting bent. And now onto more wiring.

Let me say, as an electrical engineer in the heavy truck industry, I am VERY disappointed with the quality of the factory harness from jeep. Duct tape on the splices, are you kidding! I'm going to sort through all of the harness, remove the unused wires and redo all of the splices properly. 30 year old electrical tape sure is sticky!

Body is still getting prepped for paint and should be done in a couple of weeks. I will post some pics once I make more progress on the wiring.

Brian

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.