Rocker Guards and Bondo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rocker Guards and Bondo

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-17-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
putty31
1986 CJ7 

Rocker Guards and Bondo

All,

I just had a question, and I can post some pics later, about how to cover up the unsightly large amount of bondo on the drivers side rocker area. I want to get one of those diamond plated rocker guards with the lip, but my concern is if I'll be able to rivet in place with the amount of bondo that is on there. First, does anyone know if bondo is strong enough to rivet and second, if it isn't does anyone have a better idea to make the CJ more presentable? I'll get some pictures later today and post them, so you can see how much bondo was put on this area.....

putty31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
dtcohen
1980 CJ7 

Is the bondo filling up rust holes or just smoothing out dents? If there is solid metal behind the bondo then you might get away with bolting the rocker guards on. I have a feeling that the bondo is filling up rust holes, and if that is the case then your best bet is to get all that bondo out and weld in some patch panels.
dtcohen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Check out the rock sliders from Shrockworks. Nice and well built and cover a lot of sins. Not cheap.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
slowman9786
1981 CJ7 

You can't rivet bondo. Just trying to drill for the rivets will probably crack it.

I guess it depends on how thick it is. You might want to grind some away to see if its rust or a dent. If its a dent, you can just hammer it out and then rivet to it.
slowman9786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

If its on you rocker panels, i would say just take a piece of metal and screw it to the back side of the panel, and grind off the screws, then place your rocker panels up on your jeep, and make sure to penetrate to the sheet of metal you placed on the other side. They should hold. Hope this helps.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
putty31
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzdmnky View Post
If its on you rocker panels, i would say just take a piece of metal and screw it to the back side of the panel, and grind off the screws, then place your rocker panels up on your jeep, and make sure to penetrate to the sheet of metal you placed on the other side. They should hold. Hope this helps.

That sounds like a great idea....I think thats what I'm going to have to try. I could care less what it looks like underneath there. Thanks a lot!
putty31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Yup, this is what I did, I just form fitted metal on the back side to give the bondo something to hold on to and smoothed it all out. Havent put rocker panels on yet, I have the metal just havent cut it to fit yet.
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
mashunitjeep
1991 XJ Cherokee 

one bi gpoint th kill the rust first there is a spray that kills it then it turns to primer hate to have u bondo only to have the hole get bigger from the moisture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.