RockCrowling susp. for CJ7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > RockCrowling susp. for CJ7?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-08-2003, 10:25 AM   #1
Muttley

RockCrowling susp. for CJ7?

Need any help to decide if I change my 1986 CJ7 for a SOA suspension ou for a BLACK DIAMOND XCL (coil-over)suspension.

Note that I ALSO use it on road / highway...

Now I have SUA with RANCHO 2-1/2", front shackle inversion kit, 3" body lift and Goodyears MTR 35".

Also ARB Air lockers front & rear, Warn M12000 winch, Warn full floating rear axle (on AMC20) and WARN heavy duty front axles & hubs on stock Dana 30.

Engine is a 5.7 V8 FI, GM4L60E transmission & Dana 300 with Lomax 4:1...

Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Brock

Take the body lift off and do a SOA and upgrade steering. The XCL is cool but very expensive and the soa will flex just as well.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
Take the body lift off and do a SOA and upgrade steering. The XCL is cool but very expensive and the soa will flex just as well.
Hi!

Thankx for your opnion... but let me ask you a few more questions: (i don´t know nothing about SOA and had hear so many different opnions until now...)

1) Do you already have a SOA on you CJ7??

2) How it "handles" at highway hi-speeds / turns?

3) Do you know if I can keep my RANCHO springs with SOA application?

4) What about the shackles inversion kit that I already have in front? May I keep it????

5) If you have a CJ7 w/ SOA, what SHOCKS you are using? Rancho RS9000 is a good option? (because we have Rancho here in Brazil...)

6) What about SPRING WRAP??

Sorry about all those questions...

Best regards

Muttley
From Brazil
Unread 10-08-2003, 02:32 PM   #4
MudLover

I'd say if you've got the money and the skills/ability to get the coils.... DO IT! I think that kit would be the coolest thing under a CJ. Coils flex great, and the ride should be a lot smoother. All comes down to green backs (and those new cute peach collored 20's). The only problem I have with coils is that there's so much more to break and leaf springs are easier to understand.

Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2003, 03:16 PM   #5
Brock

Read this information and then do a search on the CJ board. The SOA lift requires precise measurements and welds to be safe. SOA discussion
Unread 10-08-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
eight

The SOA will probably ride better than the soils on the highway. I'd ditch the body lift and any shackle lift you have. Do the SOA on the 2.5" springs. With the lift springs you shouldn't have to worry about axle wrap like you would with stock springs. Keep the shackle reversal kit you have. (It's not called shackle inversion, that's something else.) Ranchos are fine. Use the longest shocks you can fit. You'll need a CV drive shaft on a cj7 with that much lift.
Unread 10-09-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight
The SOA will probably ride better than the soils on the highway. I'd ditch the body lift and any shackle lift you have. Do the SOA on the 2.5" springs. With the lift springs you shouldn't have to worry about axle wrap like you would with stock springs. Keep the shackle reversal kit you have. (It's not called shackle inversion, that's something else.) Ranchos are fine. Use the longest shocks you can fit. You'll need a CV drive shaft on a cj7 with that much lift.

THANKX MAN!!

I will try that...
What you think about the REVOLVER SHACKLES with SOA?
1986 Jeep CJ7 Renegade
Unread 10-09-2003, 08:44 AM   #8
Brock

The soa will flex well enough. The revolver shackes are either loved or hated by people. I personally wouldn't waste the money. Maybe get some greasable bomerang (without lift) shackles if you are running the stock ones.
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:37 AM   #9
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
The soa will flex well enough. The revolver shackes are either loved or hated by people. I personally wouldn't waste the money. Maybe get some greasable bomerang (without lift) shackles if you are running the stock ones.

Where I can find (www?) this bomerang shackles???

Thankx!!
1986 Jeep CJ7 Renegade
Unread 10-09-2003, 10:02 AM   #10
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley
Where I can find (www?) this bomerang shackles???

Thankx!!

Here is a good spot. You might want to search around for the best price. M.O.R.E.
Unread 10-09-2003, 10:04 AM   #11
Brock

M.O.R.E. also has frame reinforcing plates that you were looking for in your other thread. They should fix you frame cracking problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.