Rochester 2GCV Carb problems. --> Buick 231 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rochester 2GCV Carb problems. --> Buick 231

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
sweetguardian00
1946 CJ2A 

Rochester 2GCV Carb problems. --> Buick 231

hello people!

I just got a reman'd carb for my 66 cj5, with a 1980 (79-81) Buick 3.8L 231 CI. So the old carb, which was a rochester dualjet, crapped out on me..... i got another carb, which is a rochester 2 Jet (2GCV) not to be mistaken for the dualjet.

Anyways, after yanking the plugs, determining TDC on the piston, i set the distributor @ 13 degrees before.

so i now know the timing's right.

problem: carb will not idle, only around 1100 rpm. also, when i give it a very crisp shot of throttle, it pops through the carb. this, if im correct means she's too advanced? so attempting to fix this problem, i retard it more towards tdc. once this is done, it now runs worse, and pops through the exhaust.

anyone have any magical numbers that would work on this carb. the idle jets are 2 turns out from full lean, the choke is manual, and the idle screw is in very far to just keep it running.

1984 C-10 6.2/SM465
Yeah it's a Diesel
sweetguardian00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

A dualjet and a 2 jet are 2 very different carbs. Dual jet is basically the front two barrels of a Quadrajet, and has a triangular air horn. IIRC it would've been the stock carb for 1980. The 2jet would have a small round air horn opening (2 5/8 or 3 1/8 IIRC) this would be the stock carb for a CJ5 V6. Did you swap intakes? Adapter plate? It sounds like you might have a vacuum leak.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
sweetguardian00
1946 CJ2A 

i made my own adapter plate, 1/4" metal with the 2 wider holes in it, and the other carb has studs threaded into the adapter. doesnt seem like vacuum leak, because it has a hell of a suction on the carb at this time.
1984 C-10 6.2/SM465
Yeah it's a Diesel
sweetguardian00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
jalves3

1967 CJ5 

If I was having this problem I would:

a) make absolutely sure there was not a vacuum leak.
b) adjust the mixture screws for slightly rich of peak RPM.
c) adjust the idle speed to specification (or as slow as it will run).
d) repeat b and c until either everything is correct or no additional improvement can be gained.

The timing will probably need to be re-set after you have reduced the idle speed.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
jalves3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
magilla
1969 C101 

Remanufactured does NOT equal good...plus other good poop

I'm happy for you that you got a 231 - it is a sweet engine. I have the same one in my '69 Jeepster Commando.

OK, just want to throw in the ol' adage about remanufactured carbs - they're mostly junk.

They pay very low wages to people to pull them apart, throw 'em in a vat, and then start assembling them from a generic parts bin. if it fits, it goes on...you get the picture.

Unless you got it from a reputable re-manufacturer, like "carburetorsandmore" that tests all carbs on a running engine, you are throwing the dice on whether or not the thing will work right. Unless you know the parts by heart, there's a good chance that the jets, needles and accelerator pump are not the correct ones.

As far as what you're experiencing - did you set the timing 13 BTDC with the vacuum disconnected from the carb? (sorry, don't mean to insult - just checking the bases) If not, reset it with the vacuum disconnected. Somewhere around 79-80, Buick changed the specs from 12 BTDC to 15 BTDC. Don't know if that makes a difference for getting it started and running, but I'll throw those specs at you anyway - you can try it out.

The really important thing is TOTAL advance (initial plus spring weights plus vacuum)

At 2500 rpm, your total advance should not exceed 35 degrees. 32 is what worked best for me (I have a dualjet 210).

What type of ignition do you have? is it HEI?

If it is HEI, please read Rich Motts EXPERT diagnosis of vacuum advance and timing issues with the HEI on a Buick 225. http://www.americanjeepsterclub.org/sw/hei-2.html

Bottom line is that the vacuum from a 2GV is WAYYYYY to strong for the sensitive springs in the vacuum diaphragm on the HEI, and it puts in about 45 degrees total advance...bad juju.

If it is the stock HEI, you WILL NEED TO get an adjustable vacuum diaphragm (about $20) and adjust it to the LEAST sensitivity - read Richard Motts' explanation, how-to and write-up (handle is Rrich on the above forum - do a search for 225 HEI and you will find all of them, and you'll be smarter by the time you finish reading).

The point is, even though you have a 231, you have an HEI distributor... 225's that swap in an HEI from a later-model Buick 231 have had MAJOR problems with vacuum advance, because the 2GV carbs suck so much (no pun intended)

Also, there is a problem with the 2GV carbs with vacuum leaks next to the EGR ports underneath. If you used the FELPRO 6000 gasket, you will probably have an internal vacuum leak. (you can see the very thin gasket portion between teh main holes and the egr port.

There are other gaskets that cover up the egr ports underneath - the best one I have seen is the thick carb gasket from partsdude4x4 (a Jeepster parts site) Here's a link: http://stores.homestead.com/Partsdud...Categories.bok (I am not affiliated)

I really think, now that I put all that down, that you have way too much vacuum advance. Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.