Rings and Bearings w/ motor in the Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rings and Bearings w/ motor in the Jeep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
1983 CJ7 

Rings and Bearings w/ motor in the Jeep?

I found a NOS Rochester Varajet last week and really want to get my Jeep on the road while I rebuild the T176, D300 and the TBI 350 over the winter. Two of four cylinders had low compression and it's running rich so now I am wondering if I have some cracked valves.

If I pull the head to check the valves, could I also pull the pistons, drop the crank and re-ring it?

Unread 06-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I found a NOS Rochester Varajet last week and really want to get my Jeep on the road while I rebuild the T176, D300 and the TBI 350 over the winter. Two of four cylinders had low compression and it's running rich so now I am wondering if I have some cracked valves.

If I pull the head to check the valves, could I also pull the pistons, drop the crank and re-ring it?
If I were gonna do that, I'd just pull the engine and put it on a stand. It's a whole lot nicer doing piston work when 10W30 isn't dripping in your eyes... Not much to pulling that little Iron Duke.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
steveracer67
1963 CJ5 

Not too mention you ever try to torque rod and main bearings upside down? Plus do clearances for bearing preload and sideload.
steveracer67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

If you re-ring it you should at minimum hone the cylinders to remove glaze.

You're talking about doing the better half of a rebuild. You would save time and have a shot at doing a much better job with the engine on a stand like BESRK suggested.
Curt Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
1983 CJ7 

Ya'll are right, it's a tiny little four-banger so pulling it's no sweat. If I do, I can replace the clutch and the front bearing in the T176 at the same time.

Before I pull it though, I am going to re-check the compression to see if 2 and 3 are the low cylinders which could be a head gasket. I think a leak-down test would make sense too...I may get lucky and find a bad valve or blown head gasket and an easy repair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.