Ring bolt fell out? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ring bolt fell out?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
I hope there isn't any shavings in the bearings. When this happened we only drove about 25 miles total. So I really am hoping it happened close to home. I don't think that I will pull the carrier out. I'll just try to flush it good it might not be the smartest decision but time will tell. I looked up mineral spirits is it a paint thinner? I haven't used it before.
Yup, paint thinner. I use it for all my parts washing, etc. 25 miles is a lot of time for stuff to circulate around in there, though. You might think about epoxying a magnet in an out of the way place on the bottom of the diff cover. This will catch any metal particles that are floating around.

80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #17
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj
Yup, paint thinner. I use it for all my parts washing, etc. 25 miles is a lot of time for stuff to circulate around in there, though. You might think about epoxying a magnet in an out of the way place on the bottom of the diff cover. This will catch any metal particles that are floating around.
I ran my 15 lb magnet around in there, but I do like your idea. You think a 1 inch diameter magnet would be sufficient? Any brand on the paint thinner or are they all about the same?
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

1 inch diameter magent would be plenty. Doesn't take much to catch all the metal particles. Whatever you do, don't risk magnetizing your bearings by touching them with a magnet.
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj
1 inch diameter magent would be plenty. Doesn't take much to catch all the metal particles. Whatever you do, don't risk magnetizing your bearings by touching them with a magnet.
Thanks, I had no idea that you could magnetize the bearings. What happens if they get magnetized?
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #20
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Probably all the metal fillings will be attracted to and stick to the bearings and that would not be good.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
Any brand on the paint thinner or are they all about the same?
I buy paint thinner that is made with mineral spirits. I think the last gallon I bought was Kleen Strip from Ace Hardware. It costs around $10.00 a gallon here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Probably all the metal fillings will be attracted to and stick to the bearings and that would not be good.
Yup. Exactly.
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

I have swapped out the bolts and re-checked the pattern. It came out good and I will do the cleaning this week.
forumrunner_20130317_195754.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

I jacked up the rear end and filled it with mineral spirits. Then I stuck some very high power magnets to the out side of the diff cover. I put it in gear, let it go a couple minutes and found that the metal shavings stick to the diff cover.
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Be careful about running the rearend with only mineral spirits in there. Mineral spirits has very poor lubrication qualities and you could do harm to the bearings and gears.
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Be careful about running the rearend with only mineral spirits in there. Mineral spirits has very poor lubrication qualities and you could do harm to the bearings and gears.
Thanks, I have kept a very close eye on it and usually ran it about one or two minutes then flushed and re-peated the process.
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #26
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Update:

It's been about 2500 miles since this fix. The gear oil is clean and the jeep is driving smoothly with all ring bolts still in place.
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Once you get it cleaned out, back together and running, I'd change the gear oil a couple times just to make sure you get out all the fine metal particles. Some of them may have migrated into the axle tubes. When filled with oil and running down the road, the oil flowing around in the axle might pick up some of the fine grit and run it thru the gears/bearings.

Might not be a bad idea to install a magnetic drain plug too.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.