Ring bolt fell out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ring bolt fell out?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Yesterday as I was warming up my jeep I was doing my pre-trip walk around. I saw the rear pumpkin was leaking so I crawled underneath. First I checked the pinion seal then moved to the diff cover. I had found the leak and the diff cover was pushed out not in. At this point I was very nervous that my gears were somehow ruined. When I pulled the diff cover they were fine, no chips or cracks. As I was rotating them for inspection I noticed that one ring bolt was gone and another was loose so I re-torqued them and they were all loose. The gear pattern was still good and I know on initial setup I torqued the bolts exactly to spec and I followed the torque pattern. I was thinking of pulling the bolts and using a lot of red locktite, I'll probably replace the lock washers also. I've heard your not supposed to reuse the bolts, can you reuse them? Has anyone heard of the ring bolts falling out like this? If I can reuse them should I replace the missing one with grade 5 standard etc? The old one looked like grade 5.
Thanks.

forumrunner_20130217_094955.jpg   forumrunner_20130217_095102.jpg   forumrunner_20130217_095127.jpg   forumrunner_20130217_095219.jpg   forumrunner_20130217_095315.jpg  

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

You mention lock washers. Don't use them. They lose tension or crack and then you end up with loose bolts. Get new botls, clean the holes out with brake cleaner then use red loctite.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thats not a grade 5 bolt. Its a grade 8.
ki4cye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
awesomejack
1996 XJ Cherokee 

For future reference, that's a grade 8 bolt, designated by the tick marks on the top of the cap.

The grades start at 2, so:
0 ticks, grade 2
3 ticks, grade 5
6 ticks, grade 8

They all differ in the amount of carbon in the iron, and the types of heating/cooling (hardening/tempering) cycles it was put through during manufacturing.
awesomejack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
You mention lock washers. Don't use them. They lose tension or crack and then you end up with loose bolts. Get new botls, clean the holes out with brake cleaner then use red loctite.
I used lock washers on every bolt, front and rear so that was my problem. I was planning on just swapping one bolt at a time so I do not have to pull out the carrier and set up the gears again, will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomejack View Post
For future reference, that's a grade 8 bolt, designated by the tick marks on the top of the cap.

The grades start at 2, so:
0 ticks, grade 2
3 ticks, grade 5
6 ticks, grade 8

They all differ in the amount of carbon in the iron, and the types of heating/cooling (hardening/tempering) cycles it was put through during manufacturing.
Thanks for the info, those gears are pretty tuff to rip up a grade 8.
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
X2

That the best answer someone could ever give! Do not use lock washer's.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460

X2

That the best answer someone could ever give! Do not use lock washer's.
This^^^
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
I used lock washers on every bolt, front and rear so that was my problem. I was planning on just swapping one bolt at a time so I do not have to pull out the carrier and set up the gears again, will this work?

Thanks for the info, those gears are pretty tuff to rip up a grade 8.
That should work. You might want to run a pattern when you're done to make sure nothing went out of adjustment. I would also use the large headed OEM ring gear style bolts because they're the correct length and the larger bearing area under the head keep them from gouging into the diff case. Randy's Ring and Pinion sells them.
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

As chewed up as that bolt is, you better recheck the r-p and spiders very carefully.
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj

That should work. You might want to run a pattern when you're done to make sure nothing went out of adjustment. I would also use the large headed OEM ring gear style bolts because they're the correct length and the larger bearing area under the head keep them from gouging into the diff case. Randy's Ring and Pinion sells them.
Ok I'll look for the larger OEM bolts on Randys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromegrille
As chewed up as that bolt is, you better recheck the r-p and spiders very carefully.
I did check them very well, more than once, no spiders to worry about just a Detroit in there. Now I am thinking of ways to flush out everything so there are no metal shavings after I replace the bolts, I am leaning toward the brake cleaner and compressed air rite now.
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromegrille View Post
Very true. Another thing you migh check is diff case runout. My brother had a similar incident with the D27 in his 68 CJ-5 and had a hell of a time pulling the diff out of the housing. Come to find out, the diff case was warped.
Unread 02-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacheswheelin View Post
Ok I'll look for the larger OEM bolts on Randys.

I did check them very well, more than once, no spiders to worry about just a Detroit in there. Now I am thinking of ways to flush out everything so there are no metal shavings after I replace the bolts, I am leaning toward the brake cleaner and compressed air rite now.
I would fill with ATF, spin it a bit, dump it and then refill until clean. Brake cleaner works good but it is nasty and you would need a ton of it.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Very true. Another thing you migh check is diff case runout. My brother had a similar incident with the D27 in his 68 CJ-5 and had a hell of a time pulling the diff out of the housing. Come to find out, the diff case was warped.
I'll check the diff case to be sure thanks I never thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I would fill with ATF, spin it a bit, dump it and then refill until clean. Brake cleaner works good but it is nasty and you would need a ton of it.
Ill give the ATF a shot.
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #14
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I use mineral spirits in a sprayer. I hope no metal particles got into the bearings. I hate to suggest this but it might be worth it to pull things apart and clean everything out.
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
nacheswheelin
1960 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj
I use mineral spirits in a sprayer. I hope no metal particles got into the bearings. I hate to suggest this but it might be worth it to pull things apart and clean everything out.
I hope there isn't any shavings in the bearings. When this happened we only drove about 25 miles total. So I really am hoping it happened close to home. I don't think that I will pull the carrier out. I'll just try to flush it good it might not be the smartest decision but time will tell. I looked up mineral spirits is it a paint thinner? I haven't used it before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.