The Right Hand Drive (RHD) Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The Right Hand Drive (RHD) Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 09-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
ffrost3
1984 CJ7 

The Right Hand Drive (RHD) Thread

Hi Community

I moved to New Zealand from the States about 4 years ago and have been waiting for the right time to buy a CJ7. I recently found an 84 that needs the usual love. Anyway, there are some clear differences between the LHD and the RHD CJ so in an effort to not buy the wrong parts and help out other RHD CJ owners of the future... Lets share info.

So these jeeps went out to the obvious places
UK
Australia
New Zealand
and all over Asia

Some key differences I have noticed
The steering wheel is on the right side
The battery is on the passenger side
and as I dig deeper I am sure to find more.

So please, if you have insight into differences and good info for other RHD CJ owners please share!

Tags I cant add myself due to lack of permissions: CJ7 RHD Right Hand Drive

ffrost3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I have several CJ7s and they are as God intended with the wheel on the correct side.

A few minor differences:

- You can see out of the hinge mounted mirrors a lot better - no need to peer through the windscreen
- The clutch linkages are hydraulic
- The headlamps are RHD pattern - though any 7" round one will fit
- You may have the Duraspark ICM on the inside under the dash
- The fuel tank and vent system may be different - non regulated Export system may be fitted

Apart from that there are very few differences that I am aware of.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

1. Painless wiring harness is no good, fuse box bulkhead connector is right of centre making all the lengths wrong.
2. Can't get a new (aftermarket) dash overlay so if you have one don't wreck it taking it of to paint the dash. It is the reverse of the American version.
3. Easy to fit power brakes if you don't have them already. Our right hand version doesn't crowd out the aircleaner.

Sure I can think of more. Welcome to the forum.

Quote from a friend:
"How many jeeps do you actually want?
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrost3 View Post
So these jeeps went out to the obvious places
UK
Australia
New Zealand
Alaska and the US (postals)
and all over Asia
I've only read about this from other CJ8 postal owners, but apparently the power steering hoses are a PITA to service/replace.

Welcome to the forum!
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm

I've only read about this from other CJ8 postal owners, but apparently the power steering hoses are a PITA to service/replace.

Welcome to the forum!
Nah, mine came out of a Kingswood. ( Holden car)

Quote from a friend:
That however was a silly question because we already know the answer is all of them!"
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post
Nah, mine came out of a Kingswood. ( Holden car)
Got the details on that? I'm sure there are some postal owners who'd be happy to know about any source for replacement parts
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm

Got the details on that? I'm sure there are some postal owners who'd be happy to know about any source for replacement parts
Yep. It came from a 76 HX Premier. Bolts right in with a small mod to the steering shaft

The pump bolts right in too using the original bracket. It does lean over at about 15 degrees from vertical though but that doesn't pose a problem. I've run mine for 15 years with not problem.

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
ffrost3
1984 CJ7 

Hey Gazzo,

Can you possibly do me a BIG favor? I have the same engine in my RHD 84 CJ7 and I think the last owner wired up the external solenoid wrong and I am having some electrical issues. Can you take a picture of your solenoid for me? All the diagrams I see tell me they had it wrong but I would love to see what you're running.
This is mine.

It appears the alternator lead is on the wrong side. That is it on the left with the lead going directly to the starter just out of the picture.
Unread 09-18-2012, 04:10 AM   #9
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrost3
Hey Gazzo,

Can you possibly do me a BIG favor? I have the same engine in my RHD 84 CJ7 and I think the last owner wired up the external solenoid wrong and I am having some electrical issues. Can you take a picture of your solenoid for me? All the diagrams I see tell me they had it wrong but I would love to see what you're running.
This is mine.

It appears the alternator lead is on the wrong side. That is it on the left with the lead going directly to the starter just out of the picture.
No worries frosty, the latest addition to the family is completely stock and mostly unfiddled with. It's at my workshop so I'll take some pix tomorrow and post em up just in case anyone else needs that info too.

Did you see what I scored last week?

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
ffrost3
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post
Did you see what I scored last week?
I just did! Here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ga...-find-1417503/

You lucky man! What is that 'Craigslist Equivalent' you were talking about. I might have to keep on the lookout to have something sent over here to NZ
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Here's the starter solenoid. Left comes from the battery and right goes to the starter although that doesn't matter as it's only a contactor. The other two are what you're after.

Whilst I was poking around in there I found this. I've never seen one of these before. All intact and complete, crazy for something 26 years old.

Quote from a friend:
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
ffrost3
1984 CJ7 

Everything that you are saying about your solenoid is exactly the opposite of what mine is doing. lol

Also, I need a wiper motor and all the rest of the linkage etc that goes wit it. Im assuming this is going to be another one that is completely different. Does anyone have a right hand and a left hand drive jeep that can verify?

Last edited by ffrost3; 09-18-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #13
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The assembly looks identical between left and right hand drive but there are two differences:

1. Wiper motor - there are left hand and right hand ones. I assume this is because the wipers will park on the other side. Mine do not park at all so hard to say. This is a known issue with an undersize wire corroding that can be fixed, never got round to it. You could use a LHD one if you do not mind them parking on the wrong side.
2. Wiper arms are slightly different. I presume this is the length due to the parking. Mine have LHD arms and they do strike the rubber seal but it is unclear if this is an issue between RHD and LHD. They were a great improvement, previously at least one dropped off when turned on and they just smeared across the screen. With new LHD ones I could bring my head back inside the vehicle.

All other parts are interchangeable and you can order the same clamps, arms, blades etc as a LHD. The windscreen surrounds are also identical.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrost3 View Post
Everything that you are saying about your solenoid is exactly the opposite of what mine is doing. lol

Also, I need a wiper motor and all the rest of the linkage etc that goes wit it. Im assuming this is going to be another one that is completely different. Does anyone have a right hand and a left hand drive jeep that can verify?
Don't forget the orientation of the two solenoids are opposite each other in the pictures. Look for an "I" and the "S" terminals to verify the proper connections. Red to "I" "S" to start position of ignition switch.

Hard to say which one is mounted upside down, being on the other side of the planet and all that...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Hard to say which one is mounted upside down, being on the other side of the planet and all that...
Hah! gotta use loctitie on the screws holding it to the mudgaurd otherwise it might come loose and hit the bonnet.

Quote from a friend:

Tags
cj7

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.