Rick's 'build' thread - 78 CJ5 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rick's 'build' thread - 78 CJ5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #46
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

SOooooo I took it back apart, since I was just cinching own the last spindle mounting nut as I saw the seal beside my foot....

I know I took a picture of the seal sitting on the spindle, just to show how far I had gotten, but I cannot find it.. My greasy fingers must not have pushed the button properly.. I use my Droid for the camera, and the touch screen can be finicky sometimes when your hands are damp/greasy/etc..

Well, I got it all together, installed the wheel bearings, the nut, torqued it to 50 ft-lbs as per the Chilton's manual, backed it off, grabbed the washers, took the nut back off, installed the proper washer, installed the nut, retorqued, backed it off 90* per specs, installed the locking washer, tq'd the outer nut, bent the lock washer over, and reinstalled the lock-out after cleaning it all up.. the new ones come in from O'Reilly's tomorrow (today now I guess!), a new set of Mile Marker to replace my Super Winch ones that are now shot on both sides.

I'm gonna install them sometime soon, I have too much else to do to prep for the trip. If I can get the head heli-coiled and the exhaust tick gone in time before work tomorrow, I may put them on then. Still gotta change the oil, check the gear boxes, lube the fittings, etc.. I also want to pull the rear drive shaft out and check the u-joints, I've had a vibration since the frame install, and eye-balling it the shaft looks like the slip joint had been pulled apart at one time and then reassembled one spline off.. If that isn't it, the axle/transfer case output angles are maybe a problem. Maybe stop at HF tomorrow and get a cheap angle gauge..

All of these little things I keep thinking of, but running out of time... Should be an interesting trip!

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #47
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

One more thought..

The stub shaft is only supported by the spindle bearing at the end closest to where it goes into the spindle. What supports the other end, the one the lock-out goes on? Is the lock-out supposed to support it? If so, why did mine fail? I want to prevent this in the future..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

Unread 08-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #48
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Anyone?

Unread 08-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #49
scso81
1980 CJ7 

Hi
The stub shaft is supported at the one end by the bearing. The other end is supported by the lockout itself. They usually (mostly) wear out due to lack of grease. Also wear out due to age and use. Water is a big enemy of hubs and grease. And the hubs do see a lot of water. I have also seen the write ups on adding zerks to the front hubs. I think it is a great idea. The more you lube them the better.
scso81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #50
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Ok, that is what I was figuring. I replaced the right side inner spindle bearing, both lock-outs with new Mile Markers from O-Reilly's, but the left bearing is gonna have to wait until I get back from vacation.

Now for the lube in the lock-outs, what is best? The instruction sheet didn't say what to lube them or the best way to. I've always heard a light lithium grease would be sufficient, but when I was installing them it looked like there was a regular gold/yellowish/light brown/whatever-color-it-is grease in there. I've only seen lithium grease as white from a spray can.. never used it in any other forms.

Unread 08-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #51
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Finally found a pic last night while at my Mom's of the Jeep that started this all for me - my Dad's CJ5. Not sure of the year (anyone help me here?) but the back of the pic says March of 1976. Sorry for the coloring - the pic is old and turning red. The scanner also decided to add some diagonal lines...grrr...

He sold it later to a guy that made it into this:

When Dad had it, it was all original, 4 cyl, manual trans. That is all I remember, besides the fun we had riding in it while he plowed the driveway. I guess he had even plowed the hilly front yard one particular snowy winter to make us a sledding track, since it had been too deep for the runner sleds... I miss him, and that CJ..

Unread 08-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #52
1983 CJ7 

Nice
Unread 08-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #53
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice old CJ your dad had. Takes me back to a more simple time.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #54
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Thanks guys! Yeah, every time I look thru those pics, I think of how simple life seemed to be back then, not just for me since I was born the next month after that first pic was taken, (not sure when they bought it - Mom doesn't remember) but for everyone at that time. I know it was simpler for me, since all I usually worried about was if I was going to catch minnows/crayfish, play in the sand box, or whatever..

Anyways, nice trip down memory lane for me, but now back to my CJ.

Still mulling over if I should go with the 302 or not. I would really love to have EFI, the NP435, cheaper more available parts, etc. but I still have a soft spot for the originality of the 4.2. I would like to hear from anyone who has gone from the 4.2 to a 302, and the pros and cons of it. I may start another thread, since I'm not sure if I'll get much response here - I know this thread is kinda lame compared to the many other out there..

I don't want to hear about SBCs, AMC V8s, etc. ONLY the Ford Non-HO 302, please. It would be EFI from a donor at the JY. Mated to either a Ford T18 or NP435. Then I am still deciding on the D20 or the D300 (I already have a D20 in the CJ, so if I don't want to buy a new xfer case, I'll use that one).

Unread 08-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #55
scso81
1980 CJ7 

I like the idea of a ford 302 power plant also or a Cummings bt4 myself. Until then I will stick to the AMC 304 that I have. I figure it may have about another year left in it before it will need replaced.
scso81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #56
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The Cummins is out for me - I have the 5. Plus the fact that they have overpriced diesel so much, is there really any savings in the MPG advantages?

I am hearing lifter tap in my I6, and there is the faint sound of a worn reciprocating piece in there. I have 96k on the odometer, so I know it is ready for an overhaul. That puff of smoke on startup lately is a daily reminder. I have 40psi of oil pressure driving, and it drops to around 10-15 when idling. This is low to me, especially running 15-40 oil. Cold I get 60psi at idle.

This is why I want to hear from those that have the 302 - would they go back to the I6? Was the swap worth it (not just for the power increase)? Was there much difference in the drivability between the 2 engines?

Last edited by Cutlass327; 11-07-2011 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake!
Unread 08-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #57
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Well, I ended up posting that in a new thread, just to see if I'd get any opinions that way too.

Well, today I tried to repair a stripped bolt that happened trying to repair an intake gasket leak a couple weeks ago. Drilled the hole on the head out, installed a Heli-coil, and put the stud I bought for it in place. This is the last hole for the exhaust manifold, the one at the rear of the head. during the installation of the manifolds, I did this:

I know the proper way is to separate the two manifolds, but the bolts and nuts were so rusted, I figured do it in one piece. I had done it before, when I replaced the gaskets the first time, so why not do it this time? Was about lined up, heard it pop like it went into place. Started putting the bolts in, since it all seemed in place. When I went to put in the one bolt, I noticed it didn't look right, and looked closer and found the crack.

Well, since we weren't busy today at work, I separated the manifolds, cleaned up the intake in the solvent tank, ran taps and dies over and into all the threads on the studs and bolt holes. It cleaned up well. I found some paint on it even - never knew it had paint on it under the oil and grime. If I had the kit with me, I'd have torn the carb down and cleaned it up, too. Oh well. maybe tomorrow...

Now I am in search of a new manifold. Guys at work are trying to convince me to just braze/weld this on, but we noticed a few cracks in the area that broke, like it was weak anyways..

Unread 08-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #58
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Well, I started my first ever attempt at fiberglass. Thanks to the help from SKerr and a few others from Clay's Build thread, I felt confident enough to start it.

Made my cut out after figuring how it would be best with the seat. Hope I''m not going to deep/large, to where the tire will hit. If it does, I guess I'll get more practice with the 'glass..

Sanded it back, using a 60 grit flap disk, since I had it left over from my Step build and bumpers..

I had to come back in to get a refresher on how to prep it once it was cut out and sanded back, so I thought I'd throw a quick update in here. I gotta go out and make a mold panel now to support it. Going to use cardboard, since the ugly part will be under the wheel well anyways.

Unread 08-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #59
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The sanding and cutting looks great. I would make one suggestion, if it's not too late... smooth all your edges as much as you can. Your square corners will cause you to have air pockets (which you're going to have anyway, but you can reduce them). The red line in the pic is what I'm talking about. Otherwise, Rock and Roll, baby!
img_20110827_143458.jpg  

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #60
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

First layer in. I only did one layer this round, for 2 reasons. One was I wanted a solid base layer in to help keep the cardboard in place and to make sure it all comes out ok. Second reason you will see in pics below...

And the 2nd reason - resin melts Dixie cups!:

I had 2 layers worth cut, but the first one I did by the time I got the resin worked thru it, it had stretched too big, so I had to waste a piece of cloth. I think I'm going to get more anyways and do a few good layers on top of this base one, all at once.

And in case you are wondering, yes, there are air bubbles under the layer, but it is only between the cardboard and the resin-soaked glass matting, so it should hurt. I figure it'll make it easier for it to fall off eventually

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.