Rick's 'build' thread - 78 CJ5 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rick's 'build' thread - 78 CJ5

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #16
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The 2nd day, I was on my own, except the little help Mom could do. She's still not able to do a lot of lifting from getting back to working after her surgeries last year from cancer, but she did what she could like help maneuver the rear axle around, move jack stands into place, and things like that.

Got the rear axle in:

Skid plate on:

Set the engine in, but found my first major issue - trans mount wasn't going to line up:

Then after moving it around, looking it over, etc, I found that I had the motor mounts in the wrong holes on the frame part...
Then my 2nd issue. My Steering bracket when bolted to the bottom of the frame, wouldn't line up with the holes on the front crossmember. The scratches are where I needed the holes to be. Nothing a carbide burr in a die grinder didn't fix! A little paint to protect the metal in the holes, and it fit like it was meant to.

Powertrain in place:

Was expecting rain that night. It poured! Glad I had the top and had put it on, I was keeping some tools and parts in there:

Brake lines roughed in, bending the main fuel line here. I used 5/16 and 3/8 for the fuel line and return, figuring if I ever decide to go with my EFI 302 plans, I'll want the larger lines. All brake lines were the pre-bent SS lines, and the fuel lines I had just bought the bulk SS line and bent them myself. I couldn't see paying almost $100 ber line for the fuel lines, and them not even being the size I wanted:

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 02:24 AM   #17
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Thursday was pretty much spent doing all of the lines and some parts runs. Wednesday was the rear axle and other odds and ends. Friday my help came back with help. This is when the body and new chassis started coming together:

Wasn't many pictures I had taken here. I'll have to get the others from the camera Mom and my girlfriend was using later. They left around 8ish, so I put the grille and fenders on, fit the old bumper back on until I get the new one from the guy that is building it, and a couple little odds and ends. My GF and I pushed it into the garage for the night:

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

Unread 06-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #18
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Saturday. By myself again. Took the bumper back off, drilled the bottom attachment holes out to 1/2 inch to match the top holes and also the holes in the frame. Got the hood on, radiator in, engine wiring hooked up, steering shaft back in. Bled the brakes, tightened a couple seeping brake lines, bled some more, tightened some more. Got the clutch linkage in and roughly adjusted. New e-brake cable from the pedal back to the equalizer bar, so I got it hooked up and roughly adjusted. Test drove it a mile or so, re-torqued the u-bolts. Tightened the brake lines again. test drove. Went over the u-bolts again. Adjusted the centering of the steering wheel after each test drive too.

Here's a picture I have from last summer, and then a picture of it the day I finished it:

It is now sitting level, at least an inch and a half higher from the new springs (compared to the original sagging ones). It rides so much smoother, the bumps are not teeth shattering. Even railroad tracks are not too bad to cross now. Once the weather is nice, I'll get another pic of it, only sitting in the same spot as the "before" pic, for a better comparison.

Unread 06-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #19
1983 CJ7 

Great job Rick

If you decided to go all out with the TDK frame I imagine this will be a keeper, what will be the next upgrade?
Unread 06-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #20
4lowherewego
1979 CJ7 

glass body and brand new galvanized frame. I say thats a keeper =)

good job rick... you did that with a quickness
Unread 06-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #21
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Well, future mods for this summer are high-back seats, electric fans, and a new 4-row radiator. I'm probably going to be going for a new steering shaft too. I'm planning on taking this to Chattanooga this August when I go to visit my sister and her husband, so I am just trying to get it roadworthy for that. Once that trip is over, I'm needing to have the windshield frame repaired of some rust issues, and I can hopefully have that done before winter salt hits the roads. This winter I'll probably be saving some money for the fuel injection, NP435, and adapters I'll be needing for the 302.

As for the 'glass tub and galvanized frame, yes, this thing had better outlast me and any kids I may have later on. None of them around here, and if all goes as planned not for a couple years until she finishes her medical lab program in college... but this think 'should' be around for a few generations I hope. I say should, because it always seems if the rust don't get it, some jerk-off not paying attention usually totals my vehicles. I think this is my driving force for the body armor - that frame should take a good hit, but I don't want to have to replace the tub after an accident. I will be checking into full coverage on it though, instead of the liability only I have on it now. I just have to round up all of my receipts..

Unread 06-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Rick, that's amazing. Great job.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

That is a lot of work, nicely done!
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #24
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

that rocks. You made quick work out of frame swap!! Love the use of saw horses, btw!
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #25
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Thanks guys. Makes me feel good that everyone has had nothing but compliments on the outcome... I'm very happy with it. I actually had it up to 70 today and didn't know it until I looked over at the speedometer!

Unread 06-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #26
scso81
1980 CJ7 

Rick
Awesome job! And fast to! Wish mine had gone that fast. Do you have someone local building your bumper?
scso81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #27
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Yeah, a guy I used to work with does fab work. He has the equipment for portable welding, but that business didn't make it since he had schedule conflicts with his full-time job. He's planning on going to it some day, but in the meantime he just does his fab-work out of his house. He's from the Massillon area. I gave him printouts of the build thread Besrk did, and showed him what I'd like customized. I'm hoping he'll have at least the rear done soon, since I need it for the middle of August for my trip to Chattanooga. He had another project to finish up, and when I told him I was done with my frame, he said he'd get on it asap then.

If you're interested in seeing them, I'll let you know when he's done and we can meet up and you can see them first-hand, since you are in the area.

Unread 07-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #28
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

So, I am prepping the nerf bars for reinstallation. I figured I'd sand the rust down, prep and paint with the left-over POR15 I have. I'm going to have to drill the holes in the frame to do this, and I was wondering about the idea of thru-bolts instead of the large self-tapping bolts that had held them on the old frame. I can't reuse them, they were rusted to nubbins, hardly holding the bars on from the looks of them. I am planning on just using some stainless bolts thru the frame, but I have read on here where people will weld in a support tube to prevent the frame from squeezing in. My frame is 3/16" square tubing, is this a worry? I know they put some support rods in where the motor mount bolts go thru the frame, but there is a lot of forces (weight, torque, etc) involved there. I think the tq spec for the 3/8" bolt is around 30 ft-lbs, so that doesn't seem like much to squeeze the hefty frame. Am I over thinking this?

I'm thinking this is more of a "Rick's Q & A" thread than a build thread, but this is how I can keep all of my frame-related repairs and such in one place for future reference..

Unread 07-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #29
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I think you should definitely be concerned about squeezing the frame, at least IMO. If you are certain that you will drill and bolt, then I would suggest sliding a metal bushing nside the hole. That will keep the bolt from drawing down too much on the frame. My .02...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #30
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Very impressive! I would agree with Scott on using crush sleeves to prevent the frame from collapsing as hard as that is to imagine...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.