Ricks 85 CJ7Cherowrangler Build Project - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ricks 85 CJ7Cherowrangler Build Project

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 05-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #46
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know I have been horrid with updates, and the work has been slow due to the day job and some work related travel. Here is the latest:

Engine in place, front end back together, wiring in progress

Computer mounted under battery tray, Cherokee relay block on fender, most needed wiring run

New electric fans and radiator installed

Another look at the wiring and else in place

I hope to get the wiring needed to get it running finished this weekend and hook the fuel pump up to get her running. After that it will just be a matter of driveshafts and we will be back on the road

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #47
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know it has been a while - we have been working 50+ hour weeks out of town, and only being home on the weekends leads to more honey-dos than Jeep work. I have finally tossed in the towel on the wiring and ordered the 5 wire harness from Hesco. I will report on how well it works going in.

2013 JK
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #48
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

IT RUNS!!!

Well, sorta anyway. Got the Hesco wiring harness installed and did a temporary fuel pump setup to run until I get the 21 gallon tank.

Looks a lot cleaner with the aftermarket wiring. As soon as I make sure everything works I'll get it dressed.

I cranked it over this evening without the fuel pump hooked up to get some oil into the top then poured a little fuel in the intake to see if she would fire and did so on the first try. I'll prime the fuel system tomorrow night and see if she will run for real!

2013 JK
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #49
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

After 9 months it runs! And sounds pretty good! I added the booster fuel pump after reading lots of others experience with the single pump. Hooked it all us, used a 12V supply to get everything primed and it started on the first key turn! Settled down to a nice idle. Left to finish - sort of a list for myself:

Make sure oil pressure and temp are working
Check for leaks
Dress Wiring
Put Hood back on
Bleed Brakes and clutch
Order new rear driveline and install, shorten front
Hook up reverse lights and dress wiring
Fix break light switch
Clean up ham radio and stereo wiring
Reinstall winch and off-road lights

So a few more weeks before we are back on the trail.

2013 JK
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #50
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Finished! And got it dirty!

Well, as finished as a Jeep gets anyway - already starting the "Well now I'd like to" list

So pics first

Looks like it came there instead of being transplanted. Not bad for a 1985 CJ and a 91 engine.

Summary of what went into the project:

Wrecked 1991 Cherokee (Engine and AX-15 donor)
New exhaust manifold
Custom stainless steel exhaust with high flow cat
New radiator
Dual electric fan setup
Tom Woods rear driveline
YJ Wrangler pedal set (to set up hydraulic clutch)
Custom air filter kit
Hesco wiring harness
Hesco VSS adaptor
Novak AX-15 to Dana 300 adaptor
Clutch kit
Chevy Blazer heater fan
U-bolts and shims to turn u rear axle
Low and high pressure fuel pumps

All in all about $2500 spent on all of the parts, but $500 of that was the wiring harness that made the project much cleaner then trying to patch together the factory wiring.

WHAT A POWER DIFFERENCE! First time out I was amazed how well it pulls up tough obstacles! It does not have the low end grunt the 4.2 did so I use 4 low more, but above 1500 rpm its all grunt.

Would I do it again after all it took to get it installed, especially compared to a 350 TBI install? I'll admit the 350 TBI install I did with a friend was no more work than this was, and probably a little easier in some ways. But for what I was looking to accomplish - an updated engine that still fit the semi-stock look and drive train I think I'd go the same way. It "Sounds" like a CJ should, runs out at 70mph nicely, and has enough power off the line to make staying in a straight line a little sporty.

2013 JK
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #51
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

beautiful progress
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.