Ricks 85 CJ7Cherowrangler Build Project - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ricks 85 CJ7Cherowrangler Build Project

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 10-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
I am planning on the same. I got my Cherokee for free but it was an auto so I had to buy the AX. It is has the case off now, waiting for a press so I can rebuild it. I think my 4.0 may need a rebuild as well. It seems to run okay but I cannot measure much compression on it.

What are you going to do for the hydraulic clutch pedal? That is all I have left to figure out.
I plan to use the pedals out of the Cherokee, as they are supposed to be interchangeable. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/4-...e-swap-455084/ has a good outline of how to swap in a set of pedals - he got them out of a junked YJ.

How many miles on your donor motor?

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7NB View Post

How many miles on your donor motor?
206,750 on the odometer. It runs but I do not measure any compression with the rubber tipped probe and I cannot get the screw in version to screw in.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #18
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Finished the engine clean up and reassembly this afternoon and started on the intake and accessory mounts. Hope to have the motor ready for the clutch and transmission hook-up by next weekend.

2013 JK
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
206,750 on the odometer. It runs but I do not measure any compression with the rubber tipped probe and I cannot get the screw in version to screw in.
Sounds like you may have the wrong end for the compression tester - did it come with swappable tips for different thread types?

2013 JK
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #20
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Lookit this build thread! Sign me up! I had an XJ for many years. They may be Chrysler, but they are a damn fine rig if you ask me.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7NB View Post
Sounds like you may have the wrong end for the compression tester - did it come with swappable tips for different thread types?
Yes, and I used the tip that worked in my 258, same plugs. Also, compared the threads 1000 times. Not sure what the deal is but I could not get it to thread. Was going to make a new tip out of an old spark plug but getting that ceramic out of the center is almost impossible.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #22
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Only a little progress this weekend. Felt like all weekend and spent most of the time on the couch. Did get the alternator, AC compressor and PS pump cleaned up and brackets cleaned and painted as needed. Mounted what I could back on the motor, but it's time to dig into the main part of the project and start tearing out the 258 and tranny. I'll probably finish cleaning the manifold and other under hood stuff before the main event.

2013 JK
Unread 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Thats looking good man!
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, after three months I'm back at it. Finished up the engine work - got all the accessories back together and installed, so here we are ready to go. I have a 4 day weekend ahead, so I hope to have the motor and tranny in by Tuesday so I can start on the fuel wiring and other small stuff the following weekend.

Here it is ready to start:

One last look at the old motor - it looks naked without the the winch!

Goodbye old cold blooded beast!

2013 JK
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #25
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, day two got me to this point before my wife drug me away to exchange some Christmas presents

As with any jeep project, I found more work to do along the way. To pull the transmission tomorrow I'm going to have to pull the center console and seats so I can get the floor plate up. I would need to do that anyway since the new transmission is longer, so may as well do it now. If I have the seats and console out I may as well clean up the floor and put some liner paint on it to cut down on the noise and rust. If I'm going to have the seats out it will make it easier to replace the fan with the Blazer motor, so may as well do that. And I was surprised at the amount of rust on the master cylinder and firewall on the drivers side.

So I guess this means a good cleaning and paint for the firewall along with a replacement master cylinder.

2013 JK
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just discovered why I always had problems with the clutch binding. The drivers side motor mount was torn in two! And a couple of mount bolts were only finger tight... Glad Jeep buried it under the exhaust pipe where you would never see it.

2013 JK
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #27
gunzmcghee
1984 CJ7 

Looking good so far. Goodbye V belts, hello serpentine
gunzmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Houston, we have no motor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunzmcghee View Post
Looking good so far. Goodbye V belts, hello serpentine
Odd thing is, this was one of the rare CJ's with serpentine belt instead of V belts.

Goodbye old 4.2!

Now to wire wheel and pain the firewall and pull the transmission and transfer case.

2013 JK
Unread 12-31-2012, 02:10 AM   #29
gunzmcghee
1984 CJ7 

Dang, yep I didn't even look at the old motor to notice haha
gunzmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #30
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

So guess what I found while I was digging out the transmission and transfer case? It appears the master cylinder had a small leak in the rear seal and had been leaking down the firewall. I now have a lovely rusted mess inside from the steering column down to the floor, so just that much more work to do.

After pulling out the seats and interior I have decided to go ahead and pull the dash and clean up all the wiring mess while I am at it.

Does this EVER end

2013 JK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.