RHD Fuel gauge problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > RHD Fuel gauge problem

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
kdog904
1983 CJ7 

RHD Fuel gauge problem

So I was tired of the aftermarket fuel gauges breaking and decided to get an original fuel gauge. I received a Stewart Warner gauge, however I didn't put two and two together from the picture on Ebay and realized it was for right hand drive CJ's.

I know that the sending unit is one for a CJ because the aftermarket gauges at least read correctly. I don't care about the position of E and F but the gauge reads reversed (needle on E means full ect.) I am stumped at figuring out why that is? The temp gauge is aftermarket but I don't see how that could be the problem.

Im at a loss here.

kdog904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

swap the wires around. There is no RHD gauge. We have the E on the left, F on the right.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Need some pictures but I suspect the sending unit has the reversed resistance. Maybe it's for the aftermarket gauges.

Time for an ohm meter

And swapping wires won't work, it will just annoy the gauge..
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.