Rewiring a CJ 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Rewiring a CJ 5

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-21-2005, 07:25 AM   #1
72JEEPCJ5

Rewiring a CJ 5

I need to rewire my 72 CJ5. Where should I start? I'm having a had time with the alternator recharging the battery, so I figure I should just start over by rewiring. I'm looking for a good wiring diagram. Any and all help would be helpful. Thanks fellow Jeeper.

72JEEPCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Are you on a budget or no?
If not, I say go with a good kit, makes life a lot easier.
If so, then I would say that you will need a good harness that hasn't been hacked into that badly to start with and also check the wires to see if they are corroded. If everything checks out, then you can go from there with manuals and such for wiring diagrams.

No budget, then check these out
http://www.certifiablejeep.com/wiring1.php

Wiring starts on this page and goes for a few others
http://www.certifiablejeep.com/thirdproject17.php

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
solitudetree

Wiring diagrams are also available through autozone at their website. Simply put in the type of vehicle and then follow it to electrical. Wiring diagram info is on the right hand side of the page.
75 Jeep Wagoneer 360V8
79 Jeep Cherokee 258 six
[/FONT][/COLOR]
solitudetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

72 is an interesting year in that they had no fuse box. Just inline fuses all over the place.

They are pretty simple to wire and it might be worth your time to purchase a universal kit unless you like to keep it close to stock.

It's been a long time since I owned my 72 but I remember it was like working on some '40s radio.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
72JEEPCJ5

Yes, 72's are interesting....got ta love'em
Thanks everyone
72JEEPCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #6
kbtriumph

I just rewired my entire '74 CJ6, which is the same as a '72, and used the EZ-Wiring kit.
http://www.ezwiring.com/
I replaced all of my switches and lights at the same time. It took me the better part of a weekend to finish the entire project. I replaced everything because it is 30 years old and totally worn out. Everything works except the heater still doesn't put out any hot air (not an electrical problem).
kbtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I have rewired a number of Jeeps and have yet to use a kit. This is more because I'm a cheapskate than anything else. When you get the schematics, study them until you are comfortable with how the wires are run. One of the things I've done is adapt an existing loom from a donor rig. This allowed me to "clean up" an existing loom that has a fusebox already in it. The last one I used was off an early Bronco, however, most any of the simpler(IE early) looms will work. If you decide not to use an existing loom, then buy a couple old looms from a local U-pick yard. One of the looms should have a usable fusebox. Dismantle the looms and use the existing wires to replace the Jeep's loom. This will be much cheaper than buying a number of spools of wire and will provide you with color coding. While this method is somewhat labor intensive, it can usualy be done for well under one hundred dollars. More than that, the learning experience is priceless.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.