Reviving an engine that has sat for 2 years - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Reviving an engine that has sat for 2 years

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
billybob535
1974 CJ6 

Reviving an engine that has sat for 2 years

The factory 304 V8 in my 74 CJ6 ran when I parked it for a frame off teardown. It has been in the chassis and wrapped in a tarp to keep the elements out. I am sure some moisture and salt air have found its way in through the exhaust and carb. I was told that I should remove the plugs and squirt marvel mystery oil or another heavy penetrating oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a day before turning it over. Is that the best way or can I do something better? The block had a freeze plug pulled before storage so it has nothing but oil in it.

Unread 03-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
AKjeff
1974 CJ5 

If it were mine I would put a couple shots of engine oil in each plug hole and let it sit for a few hours. Then see if it turns over by hand.
Once it turns over by hand, disable the ignition and turn it over with the starter for about 15 to 20 seconds. Let the starter cool down and do it again.

Once you have oil pressure, add fresh gas and plugs and see if she'll fire.
AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
RWise
1981 CJ5 

I myself will not wrap one in a tarp again, to much condensate forms inside the engine block. I would suggest pulling the oil plug and letting out any water that is in the bottom of the oil pan before turning it over. IF the engine is locked up I would use DOT 3 or ATF to free it.
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

Yes. Marvel mystery oil is a good choice. Good plan. I would also drain the fuel system though and change the oil and fuel filter beforehand.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
billybob535
1974 CJ6 

I have no fuel system right now (doing a frame off) so nothing to drain. I was waiting on some primer to dry so I stuck the breaker bar on the balancer bolt and turned the motor just a tiny bit to make sure it wasn't locked up. I will pull the plugs and shoot some penetrating oil in when its motor time.

Thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.