Reverse lights went out... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Reverse lights went out...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
dane795
1979 CJ5 

Reverse lights went out...

Hey, new here. I got a '79 CJ5 for dirt cheap and I've been trying to fix all the little issues that are keeping it from being street legal. This forum has been a big help but I'm finally at the point of having to sign up and ask some stuff.

What happened is my reverse lights weren't working and it turned out the reverse lamp switch on the transmission wasn't plugged in. That was an easy fix but they went out within a few minutes while the jeep was sitting there with them on. What's the next step? I know that the bulbs are good and the switch is still connected/functional.

dane795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You probably have a short in the wiring and it's blowing the fuse.

Here some images that may help.

1. Wiring schematic of B/U light circuit.
2. Fuse block. Reverse light is called "B/U light" and it's the highlighted fuse.

Good luck,

Matt
cj7-wiring-diagram3.jpg  
fuse-panel-front-1.jpg

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Ate you sure the bulbs are good? The glass can come loose from the base causing a short.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
dane795
1979 CJ5 

Thank you for the replies, it is indeed a blown fuse so I'll start looking into the wiring. Is that wiring diagram for my jeep correct? It's listing the fuse as 25 amps when mine is a 10, and the wiring harness from the switch on the transmission going to the main wiring harness has a green wire and a white or yellow wire which I'm not seeing on the diagram.
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I would start by looking at the Bulb sockets. If all check out there then the fun of chasing down a broken or shorted wire begins.
edit:
Or perhaps the bulbs are not the right ones or the fuse in not correct. Check all that before chasing a short that you may or may not have.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane795 View Post
Thank you for the replies, it is indeed a blown fuse so I'll start looking into the wiring. Is that wiring diagram for my jeep correct? It's listing the fuse as 25 amps when mine is a 10, and the wiring harness from the switch on the transmission going to the main wiring harness has a green wire and a white or yellow wire which I'm not seeing on the diagram.
Wrong fuse can be all your trouble...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Jeeperdd

I've always found it to be the connection in the engine compartment, where the trans wires plug into main harness. corrosion or loss wires at that connection.
Jeeperdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
dane795
1979 CJ5 

Well I verified the switch and the harness going from it to the main harness in the engine bay are good. I'm going to try it in reverse without the bulbs and see if the fuse still blows for the next step. I set my dmm to test for continuity between the positive and negative terminals on the base where the bulb goes and it beeped, I'm guessing that's a bad thing?
Oh and yes I'm using the correct fuses.
Unread 07-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #9
AZ_Chip

1978 CJ7 

To know if you have a bad wire it would help to isolate the run. Then test each side independently. To check a wire I always start with basic power, source and load. Source being fuse and switch. Then to Ground path, and if still not good isolate and check for opens or shorts. I see a lot of corrosion being the issue on mine. All of the connector pins look like they have a gray coating of crud on them. And they do. Well, corrosion and bad ground path.
AZ_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.