Restore or Restomod? Your thoughts please. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Restore or Restomod? Your thoughts please.

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Restore or Restomod? Your thoughts please.

Looked at a CJ7 at a car lot yesterday. I have friend looking for one that is already a driver so I stopped to check it out.

This same lot had a CJ7 last year that was a nice original one owner garaged Jeep. He couldn't sell it because he had too much in it and wouldn't take a loss. I looked the one yesterday and he tells me it is the same Jeep. He decided if he couldn't sell it as an original Jeep he'd "restore" it. He must have worn out two Quadratec catalogues buying every chrome piece he could find. Replaced the 258? with a 360 with headers, side pipes, dual line Holly, etc. Had nice Bestline seats. Put diamond plate all over it. Trying to give the guy a complement I tell him "Nice looking restomod, but not my style." He tells me "It's not a restomod. It's restored. I've got over $24K in the restoration. I could have made a restmod for a lot less!" Not wanting to argue I tell him I wasn't interested. He asks why and I tell him that I would be afraid I'd scratch the clearcoat if I drove it off road. He said he "didn't build it to drive it off road." He then told me he he'd sell it to me for $24,500just to recoup his "restoration" costs.

OK! I always thought that to restore a vehicle means to bring it back to OEM spec's just as it left the factory. I could even live with a 304 in lieu of a 258 because that would be period complete. Besides who would want to restore a CJ? If I restored our 74 CJ5 I couldn't eventually upgrade the brakes to discs or put in a fuse box. Besides who wants a Jeep you can't drive and enjoy without fear of scratching the paint?

What are you thoughts? Is there a demand for a show quailty CJ? If you had to do it over would you taken a different approach?

I'm 6'2" and 230# and can fit behind the wheel of a CJ5 without notching the fender well which makes it a restomod!

If it has rollup windows and A/C it ain't a Jeep. It is a rebranded Dodge!
bob4703 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
cardiffclimber
1981 CJ7 

IMHO, the clear coat makes it a "restomod". If it's a driver that your looking for, I'd move on and find something I didn't have to worry about.
"Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife."
cardiffclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Restored is just that, original. Anything else is a modification by definition. There is a market for original and one for modified.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

Restomod. But its not worth arguing with someone like that.
Unread 07-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
terre
1981 CJ7 

Yes, there is a market for perfectly restored jeeps, but very limited. And it has to be perfect in every detail. Three years ago my old boss bought, at a vintage auto action, a CJ3B. It looked like it just rolled off the assembly line. Perfect! 24K. He also had one glass of Crown in him and working on his second. Very limited indeed!
terre is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #6
STJP
Street Jeep

1985 CJ7 

I agree re restored. It means everything is original. I consider restomod to mean much of the Jeep has been restored BUT it has many non-stock upgrades, such as fuel systems, electrical, drivetrain etc. To me a stock appearing CJ with a 360 AMC or 258 with fuel injection, or a sbc would be examples of a restomod. I think there is another category that might be called modified. No intent to keep it original looking, the point is performance whether mud bogging or rock crawling.

My personal preference is a stock looking Jeep with upgrades that allow me to drive it daily and 99% on the highway with confidence. I don't however make changes that cannot be reverted to stock in case I ever do want to restore it. I also keep all the stock parts I remove.

All this variety is what is great about the Jeep.
STJP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
IRQVET
1967 CJ5 

+1 on Restomod.

The only rig I'd do a frame off restoration would be on a flat fender Jeep. I have a CJ5 that I'm doing a restomod on, which is to say it's my "practice Jeep" for later on down the road when I find a WW2 flat fender to do a frame off restoration.
IRQVET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Restoration to more or less original specs should keep the look and feel of the original even if parts are upgraded. OK, so the windshield frame may have two ribs in it as it is not strictly a CJ frame, the wheels may not be the correct model, the ignition may have been Teamrushed. So a restoration may include upgrades.

A restomod is something which in the eye of the owner has been seriously improved over the original and may not look and feel like it left the factory. A 360 is a good example in place of a 258, great mod that will liven up a CJ but definitely a mod.

For instance I have a CJ3A which is in excellent condition, a bit more work on original parts and it will be excellent+ with all original metal absolutely straight and painted (not fancy paint):

Restored - It will be mostly original, the L134 engine and transmission and steering and seats will give the general feel is CJ3A.
Upgrade - The modern 12V electrics, alternator and starter would probably not be considered a restomod but an upgrade. Maybe the front disc brakes would also come into this category.
Restomod - However it is a restomod as it has an MB top bows and will have M38 canvas and other military parts so it will not look like a CJ3A, more M38. Also I think the colour scheme is not original, it is all olive green.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #9
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQVET View Post
+1 on Restomod.

The only rig I'd do a frame off restoration would be on a flat fender Jeep. I have a CJ5 that I'm doing a restomod on, which is to say it's my "practice Jeep" for later on down the road when I find a WW2 flat fender to do a frame off restoration.
Good choice, surprisingly easy to work on and good parts availability. Not a fast Jeep but engaging to drive.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2015, 05:07 AM   #10
WV_Jeeper91

I would never ever have a strictly show Jeep. I've entered my Jeep in a show once but I also entered it in the mud bog twice at the same event. Just about every car show has at least one Jeep covered in diamond plate, lifted way too much, and the owner pretends to have the most capable thing out there. You can tell being parked in the grass at the car show is as crazy as it gets. These Jeeps usually have carpet, way too many speakers, tilt front clip, and some weird graphics. I wouldn't want to dent my Jeep but I'm not afraid to have fun with it. I'm that way with all of my vehicles. I'd never want anything fully restored either, I'd be afraid to hurt it. I'd like a stock flat fender though.
WV_Jeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 10:56 AM   #11
IRQVET
1967 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_Jeeper91 View Post
I would never ever have a strictly show Jeep. I've entered my Jeep in a show once but I also entered it in the mud bog twice at the same event. Just about every car show has at least one Jeep covered in diamond plate, lifted way too much, and the owner pretends to have the most capable thing out there. You can tell being parked in the grass at the car show is as crazy as it gets. These Jeeps usually have carpet, way too many speakers, tilt front clip, and some weird graphics. I wouldn't want to dent my Jeep but I'm not afraid to have fun with it. I'm that way with all of my vehicles. I'd never want anything fully restored either, I'd be afraid to hurt it. I'd like a stock flat fender though.
You nailed that one on the head, lol.

My goal, is to build a Jeep with zero diamond plate for the following two reasons; first to avoid mine turning out exactly as you described above. Second, for me diamond plate is synonymous with hiding bad body work or massive rust. Not in every case, but that is always the first thing that enters my mind when I see diamond plate.
Unread Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #12
WV_Jeeper91

I do have diamond plate rocker covers on mine but it's because the previous owner had home made ones on it to cover up bad bodywork but from a distance (far enough to convince yourself the Jeep looked good) the diamond plate didn't look bad. So I bought some real ones when the Jeep was on the road.

This all reminds me of a time, about 10 years ago. There was two Scramblers on the side of the road. One had low miles, I want to say 29,000. The paint was well faded but the body had no waves of any sort. It had one rust hole the size of a quarter. It was an '81 with a 304 and a 4 speed. The Jeep was completely stock. No lift, stock size tires, no body accessories, and stock bumpers even. It did have dual exhaust and faded water proof seat covers. The guy wanted $5 or $6,000, I can't remember. Next to was the other. Covered in diamond plate, lifted, big tires, and a Chevy small block. The guy wanted $13,000 I think it was for it since it had been modified. But looking on the inside of the bed all I seen was a massive dent and rust that the diamond plate corners were covering. Same story for the rockers. From the road the lifted one looked like a show truck but a closer look proved otherwise. I really wish I could've bought the stock one. The sad part was the guy said he had 2 more that he "built" and was selling them for the same price. I hope no one paid that kind of money for those.
WV_Jeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #13
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQVET View Post
for me diamond plate is synonymous with hiding bad body work or massive rust. Not in every case, but that is always the first thing that enters my mind when I see diamond plate.
Hey, some of us have to cover up $h1tt ¥ body work!
Unread Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #14
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

As someone that has done a frame off and made more modifications than I care to list I think sticking close to stock would be cheaper and easier. Just start off with the best candidate you can and make sure every part goes back in like new condition.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 03:55 AM   #15
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

there is a difference between being a "COLLECTOR" and liking cars. I'll never be a collector, I use the crap out of my trucks and cars. But I have nothing against collectors, they keep the past alive.
ECJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.