Restoration of the Yellow Bee.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Restoration of the Yellow Bee....

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Restoration of the Yellow Bee....

I have been waiting awhile before I starting this posting on my restoration. A little bit of history of this happening... I was raised here in the Houston area. After getting out of the Air Force headed for Colorado. Loved it and swore would never come back to Houston.. After 10 years there (late 80's), bottom fell out and had to return to the Houston area for work... For years rented and drove Jeeps in the mountains. I always had 4 wheel drive vehicles... About 4 years ago, remarried and wife wanted to ride an ATV in the mountains. So ended up buying two Bombardier Outlanders. We love riding them in the mountains and everywhere we can... Last year we got rid of our Airstream and decided to buy a Toy Hauler to camp with and haul the ATV's in the garage. This option worked out great. Last fall coming back from our September vacation which we go to Colorado at least once, usually couple times a year, I told the wife we needed a short wheel base vehicle to carry in the Toy Hauler when we can't ride our ATVs. We go on lots of weekend trips from 100-300 miles from home couple times a month. Problem is we can't always ride our ATV's. Also, my tow vehicle is a 08 F-550 truck. It is not that friendly when sight seeing and parking in the tight city parking lots. So, I decided to buy an older CJ5 (just will fit in the 12' garage in TH) and restore. That is where this all gets started.

I started searching for a CJ5 last fall around the Houston area. I ended up buying an 81 CJ5. Pretty much standard I6, PS, AMC20 rear, Dana 30 front and a loud yellow paint job. It had a big lift and huge tires for offroad. Since right now it will be mostly onroad and little offroad, tires and lift have to go. Since it will be seeing the mountains at one time or another, I did not want to have to hassle with jets in carb, so elected to go fuel injection. After looking, realized would not cost that much more to drop in a SBF with EFI. I sold the I6 to a buddy in College Station and bought a 88 5.0 Mustang for the donor vehicle. After looking at rebuild decided to go with a 331 stroker kit.

I totally tore down Jeep to the frame and it has been blasted and I primed. Frame will be painted in the next couple of days, depending on weather. I also came across a good deal on Dana 44 for the rear axle. Both front and rear are ready for paint after going through. I have gone through the T-176 and D-300 and painted ready to install. That is where it is today. My plans are to rewire completely since I am using a lot of the Mustang stuff. Since down here in Houston area, Jeep will have A/C for sure. I am trying to use the heater/A/C from the Mustang. Tilt/Cruise column, brake/clutch setup, Power Brake booster/brakes will also make the trip. Dash is being replaced with all Autometer instruments, A/C ducts, switches, etc. New dash from my sheet metal guy.... LED lights on the rear with H4 headlights on front. Also considering the guy out in California on the top and solid doors. Kind of pricey but would be good for our area.... New paint and seats to finish up...

I have about 20 pictures so far and will post and update as progress continues. I am shooting for a mid summer completion...

Not for sure if I can post pictures from here without referencing a website location. If I can't will have to post on my website....

[IMG]D:\Pictures\Vehicles\Yellow_Bee\Jeep_Progress\jeep-1.jpg[/IMG]

Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Levinz11
1991 YJ Wrangler 

[IMG]D:\Pictures\Vehicles\Yellow_Bee\Jeep_Progress\jeep-1.jpg[/IMG]
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Gonna have to reference a website location. Something like photobucket (free) will work well.

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

I think you need to upload the pic to something like photobucket and post that image link for someone to de-clicky it
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Pictures

I will try to get them posted on my website this evening...
Unread 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Picture Links...

Let me see if this will work on pictures....

The Jeep as it was when I bought...

http://www.ccb-design.com/Vehicles/C...ion/jeep1.html
Unread 03-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Pictures

Unread 03-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Let me see if this will work on pictures....

The Jeep as it was when I bought...

http://www.ccb-design.com/Vehicles/C...ion/jeep1.html
You DAMM guys in Texas and Arizona with your rust free Jeeps, seriouly that thing looks SWEET.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Unread 03-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Well I still just see the link and not a picture. I am still doing something wrong....
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
soonerfan
1978 CJ5 

WAY COOL!
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

you either need to start using a free photobucket account, or you gotta expain and post up a step by step on the tank

little help to ya - I saved and linked um to my photo bucket - it'll cost ya a cute pic of my kids discovering not to leave her pet on the diner table

the free photobucket will give you IMG codes for your pics and once you reach 40 posts - tada - your pics wll appear without the need of assistance

oh - and I hate you - this is what I started with for my second build

dam good lookig jeep - can't believe it needs work - looked better n most at the start than most frame offs at conclusion
molsenice is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #13
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

If either of those start leaking it should be easy to see where it is coming from, bright and clean. Looks good. I wish my Jeep was that clean when I "started" my rebuild.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
If either of those start leaking it should be easy to see where it is coming from, bright and clean. Looks good. I wish my Jeep was that clean when I "started" my rebuild.

Love the shifter knobs....

I only know of one trany that shifts like that.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #15
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Thanks for the Help...

Well, I appreciate the help and will look into the Photobucket deal. I probably also need to keep my site updated. Anyone can check out my other toys, 03 Cobra (son in law and son has one also), F-550 Custom Bed build, Toy Hauler, Model A, or ATV section... They can be reached from here...

http://www.ccb-design.com/Mas_Vehicles.htm

When I bought the Jeep, it looked good from a distance (like in the pics), but up close, lots of flaws.. Now comparing to what you guys drag out the pasture, it is definitely a step up... I can relate to the pasture finds to my Model A project. I took two Model A's out of Kansas pasture and made this one.. I salvaged parts from both bodies in the build. Ofcourse there are stories with all of these projects... Back to the Jeep...

Since I am going fuel injection, decided to build a new tank... Everything rust down here in the south so only way to fight it is to build in SS. It is 2" deeper and 2" wider (front to back). Since it is almost 1/8" thick, decided to remove the sheet metal frame from existing setup. If you build the tank to the frame dimensions instead of the original tank, it can be little larger... I also made it to be removed easily if needs any service. Using 190 lph Walbro pump and Autometer float. The tank also has been moved to the center of the vehicle so I can bring out the exhaust on both sides... It is also pushed up in the frame as far as I can get to maximize ground clearance.

As I get things complete will update with information. Anyone with questions can email me at calvin.brown@ccb-design.com or post here on the site...

I am trying to paint the frame right now but weather is not cooperating at this time with lots of wind here... So, the Ford 331 stroker motor is being assembled right now.. Completed the short block assembly last night. Motor should be complete this weekend and ready to install in the frame once painted....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.