Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Restoration of the Yellow Bee....

82K views 375 replies 70 participants last post by  CJ7ROB 
#1 ·
I have been waiting awhile before I starting this posting on my restoration. A little bit of history of this happening... I was raised here in the Houston area. After getting out of the Air Force headed for Colorado. Loved it and swore would never come back to Houston.. After 10 years there (late 80's), bottom fell out and had to return to the Houston area for work... For years rented and drove Jeeps in the mountains. I always had 4 wheel drive vehicles... About 4 years ago, remarried and wife wanted to ride an ATV in the mountains. So ended up buying two Bombardier Outlanders. We love riding them in the mountains and everywhere we can... Last year we got rid of our Airstream and decided to buy a Toy Hauler to camp with and haul the ATV's in the garage. This option worked out great. Last fall coming back from our September vacation which we go to Colorado at least once, usually couple times a year, I told the wife we needed a short wheel base vehicle to carry in the Toy Hauler when we can't ride our ATVs. We go on lots of weekend trips from 100-300 miles from home couple times a month. Problem is we can't always ride our ATV's. Also, my tow vehicle is a 08 F-550 truck. It is not that friendly when sight seeing and parking in the tight city parking lots. So, I decided to buy an older CJ5 (just will fit in the 12' garage in TH) and restore. That is where this all gets started.

I started searching for a CJ5 last fall around the Houston area. I ended up buying an 81 CJ5. Pretty much standard I6, PS, AMC20 rear, Dana 30 front and a loud yellow paint job. It had a big lift and huge tires for offroad. Since right now it will be mostly onroad and little offroad, tires and lift have to go. Since it will be seeing the mountains at one time or another, I did not want to have to hassle with jets in carb, so elected to go fuel injection. After looking, realized would not cost that much more to drop in a SBF with EFI. I sold the I6 to a buddy in College Station and bought a 88 5.0 Mustang for the donor vehicle. After looking at rebuild decided to go with a 331 stroker kit.

I totally tore down Jeep to the frame and it has been blasted and I primed. Frame will be painted in the next couple of days, depending on weather. I also came across a good deal on Dana 44 for the rear axle. Both front and rear are ready for paint after going through. I have gone through the T-176 and D-300 and painted ready to install. That is where it is today. My plans are to rewire completely since I am using a lot of the Mustang stuff. Since down here in Houston area, Jeep will have A/C for sure. I am trying to use the heater/A/C from the Mustang. Tilt/Cruise column, brake/clutch setup, Power Brake booster/brakes will also make the trip. Dash is being replaced with all Autometer instruments, A/C ducts, switches, etc. New dash from my sheet metal guy.... LED lights on the rear with H4 headlights on front. Also considering the guy out in California on the top and solid doors. Kind of pricey but would be good for our area.... New paint and seats to finish up...

I have about 20 pictures so far and will post and update as progress continues. I am shooting for a mid summer completion...

Not for sure if I can post pictures from here without referencing a website location. If I can't will have to post on my website....

See less See more
#4 ·
I think you need to upload the pic to something like photobucket and post that image link for someone to de-clicky it

#12 ·
you either need to start using a free photobucket account, or you gotta expain and post up a step by step on the tank ;)

little help to ya - I saved and linked um to my photo bucket - it'll cost ya a cute pic of my kids discovering not to leave her pet on the diner table :rofl:

the free photobucket will give you IMG codes for your pics and once you reach 40 posts - tada - your pics wll appear without the need of assistance

oh - and I hate you - this is what I started with for my second build:laugh:

dam good lookig jeep - can't believe it needs work - looked better n most at the start than most frame offs at conclusion

#15 ·
Thanks for the Help...

Well, I appreciate the help and will look into the Photobucket deal. I probably also need to keep my site updated. Anyone can check out my other toys, 03 Cobra (son in law and son has one also), F-550 Custom Bed build, Toy Hauler, Model A, or ATV section... They can be reached from here...

http://www.ccb-design.com/Mas_Vehicles.htm

When I bought the Jeep, it looked good from a distance (like in the pics), but up close, lots of flaws.. Now comparing to what you guys drag out the pasture, it is definitely a step up... I can relate to the pasture finds to my Model A project. I took two Model A's out of Kansas pasture and made this one.. I salvaged parts from both bodies in the build. Ofcourse there are stories with all of these projects... Back to the Jeep...

Since I am going fuel injection, decided to build a new tank... Everything rust down here in the south so only way to fight it is to build in SS. It is 2" deeper and 2" wider (front to back). Since it is almost 1/8" thick, decided to remove the sheet metal frame from existing setup. If you build the tank to the frame dimensions instead of the original tank, it can be little larger... I also made it to be removed easily if needs any service. Using 190 lph Walbro pump and Autometer float. The tank also has been moved to the center of the vehicle so I can bring out the exhaust on both sides... It is also pushed up in the frame as far as I can get to maximize ground clearance.

As I get things complete will update with information. Anyone with questions can email me at calvin.brown@ccb-design.com or post here on the site...

I am trying to paint the frame right now but weather is not cooperating at this time with lots of wind here... So, the Ford 331 stroker motor is being assembled right now.. Completed the short block assembly last night. Motor should be complete this weekend and ready to install in the frame once painted....

#18 ·
Messed up shifters...

I noticed your threads are broke off on the transfer case.. Must be a common deal. Mine was too and threads on tranny was stripped out.. So cut both shafts off and welded 3/8" bolts back on and ground down.... Looking at your frame, mine had only surface rust... I probably would just build a new frame.....

#19 ·
I noticed your threads are broke off on the transfer case.. Must be a common deal. Mine was too and threads on tranny was stripped out.. So cut both shafts off and welded 3/8" bolts back on and ground down.... Looking at your frame, mine had only surface rust... I probably would just build a new frame.....
No - The Po - a buddie of mine, couldn't get the jeep up high enough when he was slippin the trans and transfercase under the jeep so he removed the trans shifter but couldn't figure out teh transfer case shifter - so he hack sawed it off hahahahahahahaha

amazing engineering in this world hahahah

well - then he gave it to me for free:2thumbsup:

awsome idea for the fix thou - hadn't gotten that far - will do - easy enough

#20 ·
Status Update...

Well, had a good weekend on the Jeep.. Got the frame painted and almost got the stroker motor complete... Also upgraded my account so hopefully can post some pictures now...WOW.....

The frame after drying back in the shop....

Front Dana 30 ready for assembly in the frame..

Stroker motor almost together....

95% Complete

#21 ·
Continuing Progress....

Very busy weekend.... Got the motor installed in frame as well as the tranny/transfer case dropped in as well... All went very well and the MORE motor mounts are right on key. Very good fit... I hate the big skid plate and since the motor swap to the V-8 Ford, nothing matched up.. So started out yesterday and turned into a all day project building a new setup for the tranny support. I had talked to Hack about his custom one from Throttle Down Kustoms... I know Hack is independently wealthy and money on his Jeep is not a concern, but us poor boys have to find ways to save money... So jumped in with some 1"x.125 wall box tubing for a frame. Then 1"x2"x.125 for the stiffeners. Will have my sheet metal guy brake me a piece of .125" plate for the skid itself.. I got it primed yesterday and hopefully painted today. You will be able to remove skid plate and service tranny/transfer case with messing with mounting of tranny... I think it turned out good. Will get some shots this evening...
Below is some shots installing the motor/tranny/transfer...

#24 ·
Tranny/Transfer Case Frame Support...

I got the new support painted and installed yesterday. Also added the torque arm for additional power from the SBF.... Looking at the driveshaft, needs to be lengthened about 2" or so.. Since angle is about 15 degrees, will need to add a CV joint as well... I have new springs and no weight on the frame so will pick up body and set on frame to see how much it will go down. I don't think it is going to be enough to make much difference.... Still don't have the skid plate yet since holding off till my sheet metal guy does the dash... Here is a couple shots of the new support....

#25 ·
Wow!

Excellent work!!! We'll be following the progress on this project closely. We're about to start a similar engine swap ourselves into our 83 cj-5. The engine is a 91 ford 5.0/ho out of a mustang. It's been professionaly rebuilt with quality parts and blueprinted and balanced. We'll be running T-176/D300behind it.

#26 ·
That is the same as I am building now (except 331 instead of 302)... Will keep posting progress.... Hope you have the bell housing setup.. That was kind of hard to find now days.... I messed up after reading Novak thinking my T-5 from the mustang would work... Did not realize there was a difference in T-5's... Then I already bought clutch setup.. So now had to re-order for 11" Ford Truck setup... Oh well, you learn through experience.. sure can get costly sometimes.. ha ha....

#28 ·
Paint....

For paint, I have used a bunch of different types over the years... Imron, Exopy, DP-40, etc.... That stuff is really expensive to me and believe it or not, I use Rustoleum on a lot of things. I have steel frames that have set outside in the humid Houston area for years and Rustoleum holds up great... On the CJ frame, after blasting, I used the Rustoleum Grey primer out of a spray can. The frame set about 3 weeks while doing other stuff... Then when I was ready to add color, I shot one final primer coat and let it set for about 12 hours.. Then I bought the Rustoleum in the quart can and mixed with Mineral Spirits and shot the black with my spray gun. Once you have a good base coat of primer, it shoots on very smooth and looks just as good when dry. On the motor parts, I also use the primer and then use high temperature engine paint. The only thing I have found using the Rustoleum is it a green paint for about 3 or 4 days. I mean it does not seem to get really hard till then. It is dry to the touch in about 4 hours but will scratch pretty easily for a couple days.. But after it cures, it is very strong and after years, it is a pain to get off.... The engine paint really bonds well to the primer base coat... The nice thing about Rustoleum is if you need to weld or work on any area, you can repair the paint easy since the same paint is available in cans so you don't have to setup and shoot with a gun... The other nice thing is you can get it at any store selling paint, Home Depot, Walmart, etc....

#29 ·
We're learning all about costly...lol. We've been slowly and patiently purchasing the parts we need over the last 2 years. We're afraid to add it all up. At least we finally have all the parts and pieces we need to put it all together. As for the bellhousing and clutch set up, we're going to go hydraulic.....or at least attempt to. We have a hydaulic bellhousing from a 84 ford truck with a 302, AND a new flywheel that's a 50 oz. imbalance with a 164 teeth.

#30 ·
THe 50 oz balance is what got me.. The stroker motor is balanced at the 28 oz... Guy at FordStrokers said the stroker cranks are setup for the 28. That why I had to go pre-78.. I know all about the cost issue.. I have been buying parts for about 3 months now and I have spend a fortune.... I have most of the parts but probably still another $2k away from completion. I am shooting for a mid summer completion....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.