Restoration Project and have questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Restoration Project and have questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
nbr2echo
1984 CJ7 

Restoration Project and have questions

I have a 1984 CJ7 suspension lifted about 6 inches but unsure of the exact lift height because I bought it that way. It is stock besides the wheels and tires which are 35 inch swampers. I'm planning on a replacing the stock 258 with an AMC 360 but am unsure of the transfer case and transmission compatability. I've heard that a radiator change will be needed with the conversion but I don't know what kind will fit once the new engine is installed. I have 2 axles from a 1978 Chevy Silverado that look to me like Dana 44's but I can't seem to find any specifics on them to determine what I would need to refurbish them. The front axle is rotor but the rear is drum which I would like to convert into rotor as well but i don't know how hard that's going to be or if it's even worth it. I know this is a lot of questions and I probably seem newbish in my knowledge on the vehicle I own but I know cars and this is my first offroad toy lol. Basically my questions rolled into a smaller point would be these
1.) AMC 360, what trans and what transfer case would be good for the install?
2.) Axles, is there anyway to determine what exactly I have and what would I need to do to install these on my cj?
3.) What steering shaft problems am I going to have to work around with the new engine and exhaust headers?
4.) Can I keep the 35's and go back to an under/axle perch or should i stick with the over/axle it has already?
5.) What do i need to convert from drum to disc for my rear axle?

I appreciate any and all responses and I hope you understand I am just learning this offroad stuff but feel free to be technical with me because i do know mechanics quite well. Thanks all

nbr2echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

1) It will bolt up to you're transmission, but I'm not sure if it would hold up. What transmission is in it now?
Are you looking for a manual or automatic?

3) None other than you may have to take it out to make the header install easier. The 360 is the same externally to the 304 that came stock in CJs. And a stock 304 radiator will work fine.

4) Yes, but you'll need 4" lift springs (not sure what you have with the SOA, but probably close to stock) and about 1" body lift. Maybe a little more or fender trimming depending on the flex needed
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
nbr2echo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
1) It will bolt up to you're transmission, but I'm not sure if it would hold up. What transmission is in it now?
Are you looking for a manual or automatic?

3) None other than you may have to take it out to make the header install easier. The 360 is the same externally to the 304 that came stock in CJs. And a stock 304 radiator will work fine.

4) Yes, but you'll need 4" lift springs (not sure what you have with the SOA, but probably close to stock) and about 1" body lift. Maybe a little more or fender trimming depending on the flex needed
The tranny that's in it right now is an automatic which i'm going to be changing anyways so just info on what would work best with a 360 would help. The radiator and tranny are bolted to an I6 258 engine right now so is the engine compartment large enough without mods to fit the 360? I was looking at the springs right now and they are around 4 inch springs, sitting on a 2 inch perch over axle.. so I believe it's around a total of 8 inches lift from factory. The axles I want to put on are a bit longer than the stock ones on it now so I'm guessing some decent fender mod is going to have to be done lol. Mainly i just want to have the power of the 360 and have the hardware to hold it's abuse and not "break" under pressure lol
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
southernky4wd
1977 CJ7 

If your new to the off-road game, I'd suggest going with the auto tranny. If you can find one, the Turbo 400 is beefy. Jeep used some in Quadratrac CJ7's and full size jeeps. The bellhousing bolt pattern is already correct. I'm sure Advance Adapters sells an adapter to mate it to a Dana 300 transfer case. There shouldn't be any steering linkage problems. I run 36" swampers on my trail rig with scout dana 44's. I use 4" suspension lift and about 1" lift on the shackles. With a little fender trimming, it works out fine and I didn't have to lift the body.
southernky4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
nbr2echo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernky4wd View Post
If your new to the off-road game, I'd suggest going with the auto tranny. If you can find one, the Turbo 400 is beefy. Jeep used some in Quadratrac CJ7's and full size jeeps. The bellhousing bolt pattern is already correct. I'm sure Advance Adapters sells an adapter to mate it to a Dana 300 transfer case. There shouldn't be any steering linkage problems. I run 36" swampers on my trail rig with scout dana 44's. I use 4" suspension lift and about 1" lift on the shackles. With a little fender trimming, it works out fine and I didn't have to lift the body.
What do you use mainly to keep it stabilized? I have a steering stabilizer I put on but it still has a decent play when the tires want to go where they decide. It makes it a little edgy driving :P I'm thinking a complete Hydrolic powersteering setup would help but don't want to burn 1000 bucks just to be able to crawl without recoil, it's mainly just feeling a little safer in more congested traffic lol. So Dana 300 is a good one to go to? any idea what was stock for 84 by chance? If I already have it i'll refurbish it I guess.
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
southernky4wd
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr2echo View Post
What do you use mainly to keep it stabilized? I have a steering stabilizer I put on but it still has a decent play when the tires want to go where they decide. It makes it a little edgy driving :P I'm thinking a complete Hydrolic powersteering setup would help but don't want to burn 1000 bucks just to be able to crawl without recoil, it's mainly just feeling a little safer in more congested traffic lol. So Dana 300 is a good one to go to? any idea what was stock for 84 by chance? If I already have it i'll refurbish it I guess.
Are your 44s in the Jeep now?
I don't know about chevy, but with the scout 44's you have to repositon the knuckles to get the correct castor angle to correct the steering issue. When I bought my trail rig, it was SOA and I had a lot of problems. Put your axles back under where they belong. I am a true believer in the dana 300. There are a lot of aftermarket uprgades, they are pretty common and cheap, and pretty tuff. If your case is a 300, it will be stamped right on the back, easy to see.
southernky4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
nbr2echo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernky4wd View Post
Are your 44s in the Jeep now?
I don't know about chevy, but with the scout 44's you have to repositon the knuckles to get the correct castor angle to correct the steering issue. When I bought my trail rig, it was SOA and I had a lot of problems. Put your axles back under where they belong. I am a true believer in the dana 300. There are a lot of aftermarket uprgades, they are pretty common and cheap, and pretty tuff. If your case is a 300, it will be stamped right on the back, easy to see.
No the stock 20's or whatever are currently on it. They look so cute and breakable and I know when i do put the chevy ones on they will be sticking out quite a bit. I'll check the xfer case tomorrow to see. Thanks for the info I'll post with my results. I'm going to be in Afghanistan this summer so the wife will be ordering my parts here and there so I can return and get to work on it lol.
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

The Dana 300 is stock for '80 to '86 CJs. It's a very good case and many aftermarkets ones (like Atlas) are based off of the D300.

For the Transmission, check out www.novak-adapt.com
It depends on how much work you want to put into it, and what you're using it for. If you don't need a deep 1st gear, then a T150 3 speed would be a good swap. It's a strong tranny and came stock in 76-79 CJs. Fairly easy to find b/c many people swap them out, esp. when doing SBC swaps. 4speeds will give you a deeper 1st gear for crawling, as will 5 speeds. Read about them on Novak's site....lots of good info there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr2echo
The radiator and tranny are bolted to an I6 258 engine right now so is the engine compartment large enough without mods to fit the 360?
Yes, there is plenty of room for the 360 under there. Remember, it's the same size externally as the 304 that came stock in these things. I dumped a 258 for a 360 with no problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.