Restoration Project 1984 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Restoration Project 1984 CJ7

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
MechroMenace

Restoration Project 1984 CJ7

So a few things first this project is my dads jeep, I'm gonna be helping him restore it mostly because its something that he really wants to do with me that interests actually interests me to and secondly he doesn't know what hes doing when i comes to mechanical things. Also My dad is also the Jeep person and I like Chevy's hence the reason I'm new here, I have never restored anything before and since this is my dad's jeep once I want to do it once and do it right, and if he treats it like his first one it should make it another 398,000 miles.

So I'm gonna go through this probably scanning the forums but that the same time I'm posting here for help since I really don't know anything about jeeps other than after popping the hood on my dads it may as well have been made of legos it doesn't appear there is much too it, it actually makes my s10 look overly complicated. but I'm hoping more for advice on on certain niche things with a jeep that I'm probably not gonna have to worry about say on my Sonoma.

So far my short plan list:
-Keep it stock as possible, not lifting it, it must keep its inline six. must stay manual.
-get rid of rust everywhere, painting the frame possibly rihno lining it, replacing doors and tub also going with a fiberglass tub.This one possibly if anyone has had experience with the company.
-converting it to EFI with megasquirt I've got access to some mills so I may just modify the carburated intake for injectors keep it simple as possible.
-possibly rebuild the engine depends I'm gonna try and start it and I'm gonna take the head off see if it really has the 60k miles the previous owner claimed.

Anyways that what I've got so far that I know for sure of i'll get pictures up soon but I'm gonna try and get it started. also where is a good place to get good parts for these things, I'm not concerned about cheap but as long as its good my dad doesn't mind paying a little extra for them. also all advice is appreciated.

MechroMenace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
MechroMenace

I'm back.

After 5 months we have made little progress but now that I'm moving in 4 months my dad is a little more motivated to get his jeep going.

We pretty much have the jeep completely stripped down we just had it sandblasted, the rusted body mounts fixed and we've primed the frame. I'm looking for parts tonight so we can start building the thing from the ground up. Also a few things have changed from the previous list of things we were planning on doing. Since Febuary I have picked up a chevy TBI and I still need to get the wiring harness and computer from a manual 4.3 s10 or fullsize considering the jeep motor is a 4.2 I should easily be able to get away with out tuning it for a little while. I have a friend that has a cnc mill so I have a way to get an adapter for it. still need research and stuff for getting the computer to read the jeep distributor or something aftermarket I just need to look it up really, I'm sure its out there. I also think I have my dad talk into some headers I found on summit, that stock manifold is dreadful looking. I also have the engine pulled apart the engine that the previous owner claimed was rebuilt 60,000 miles ago. which is quite likely but who ever did it messed up because there was a snapped head bolt and the motor had antifreeze in the oil, but the pistons look clean on the sides the top says it was running rich but the carbon brushes right off. anyways thats what I can think of on the top of my head. anyways pictures I forgot about those.

Close enough.

also any advice for avoiding whatever happened to the motor would be awesome because I would love for this motor to last as long as his first jeeps did. which was about 330,000 miles.
Unread 08-29-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

I'm not sure what you are asking us.

I salute your enthusiasm however.
Unread 08-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
MechroMenace

Oh I'm really not asking for anything, mostly doing this so I can keep an organized record that can be easily shared and I've got it on here mostly because more people on here are going to appreciate it more than say some s10 forums. This is also a first attempt at completely restoring a vehicle for me , last year I kind of did a half restore on a 1994 honda civic that has been in the family since 1994 it had 300,000 miles and the factory clutch finally went out so my parents offered to buy all new parts and I torn the civic down to a shell well almost it had the interior, I pretty much rebuilt the entire thing suspension, motor, transmission, steering, replaced anything that was worn out, and had a fresh stock honda civic with the steelies still on it good for another 300,000 miles, was it worth the cost no logically? no but sentimentally yes I don't want to see it get sold and then ruined by some 16 year old that wants to look and sound fast. Anyways I figure if I have the jeep posted on here someone may be like hey here is something you may want to know. I'm guessing you don't see many people restoring jeeps to their stock form, most seem to get axle swaps, lifts, bigger tires, bigger motors. I'm going for something that looks like its been could have parked in a storage container since 1984. Anyways I'm hoping I do this jeep justice.
Unread 12-07-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
MechroMenace

So working 70 hours a week doesn't provide time needed for a jeep, so I quit one and now i'm down to 20 hours a week and have time for the jeep. I'm also moving in like a month so I've got 4 weeks to bring this pile of steel to life. I will have it running by January although I will not have it street worthy sadly but it'll be ready for a tub and body parts which are 6 weeks out. and I know my dad can handle installing that without me. I'm gonna try to update this daily except for saturday and sunday those are my days to fix annoying s10 problems before i move to idaho.

anyways heres the few things I've got done since last post.

my friend helped me make a adapter plate for the jeep intake to GM TBI.

I got the parts back for the motor and reassembled it most of the way, I'm hoping to have that done tomorrow.

I sprayed the frame down with bed liner(pictures on broken phone)

reassembled the front axle with new bearings, seals, spindles, rotors, u-joints, and fresh grease.

I rebuilt the trac lok in the rear end, but installing the 1-piece axles was becoming a headache and my dad offered to pay someone else to do it so i figure whats the easiest way to do something and that would be get someone else to do it.

I'm going to do my best to remember a daily update mon-fri.
Unread 12-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
MechroMenace

Sad day I went through all my flash drives and both computers no pictures from previous phone this is what happens when I make one back up. oh well I took more. So I continued putting the rest of the motor back together today cleaned up and painted a couple things modified the piece of sheet metal the previous owner used for a EGR block off plate which looked like crap, and I the TBI adapter my friend made fit like a glove so glad i didn't order one of those giant square ones off ebay. i was also thrilled to find out that the hole in the exhaust used the same threads as a chevy o2 sensor but also not surprised that the previous owner plugged it with an old spark plug and busted the end off this jeep was so hacked together by the previous owner, it was mutt.

Unread 12-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
MechroMenace

Not much done today I was being kind of picky with cleaning a few things the brake capliper holders where covered in rust so in order to paint it took some time to clean it. I also cleaned up the power steering pump and mount and clean those I also had a stripped out thread to fix so I fixed that too. I also found that the GM coolant temp sensor fits nicely inside one of the water jacket holes which is super nice hopefully when i pick up the knock sensor it'll be the same thing, probably not but it'd be awesome. that bolt is in the hole that i had to fix.

Unread 12-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
MechroMenace

thank goodness there is a ton of info on this forum or i would have never figured out how to install the anti-rattle clips for the brake pads, I haven't done brakes in 5 years because i haven't had a car long enough to worry about it. I can already sense that the drum brakes are going to be fun. anyways I got the power steering pump installed and the belts tightened, the front axle is back together minus the tie rods the sleeve that connects the 2 tires is soaking in b12 chem fuel injection cleaner which surprisingly is eating the rust i would have used viniger but my sister used it from something silly like cleaning things inside the house. and i installed the u-joints on the driveshafts. I also picked up a breather and a nice large air filter so I can hide all the wires and fuel injection stuff. Tommorrow i'll hopefully be getting a wiring harness and computer which will be awesome and hopefully I can get to getting the frame on the front axle so we can roll it into the garage and I can set the motor down on it and start running the fuel lines, brake lines, and start modifying the wiring harness to fit around the motor. I'm also debating if I want to drill out one of the holes on the block to thread it for the knock sensor. i'll figure something out.

Unread 12-12-2015, 01:39 AM   #9
MechroMenace

I really didn't get anything done today I went to a junkyard pulled the wiring harness, ecm, and throttle cable out of a 1993 chevy 1500 this junkyard also didn't have a dog they had a pig which was kind of cool at first other than it followed me to the truck and just walked around making pig sounds while i sat inside the engine bay disconnecting the wiring harness for an hour I kind of wanted to kill it for bacon and also it was getting extremely annoying which is probably the main reason i wanted it quite but, bacon did sound good. I also finished cleaning the tie rods up and assembled those and installed them, and I ended up drilling and tapping a hole for the knock sensor, I also got a new distributor because the other one had a Phillips screw seized in and sripped of anything to turn it with and it had a broken wire so 40$ was worth it.

Trying to keep positive on how this is going to be fun redoing this wiring harness, because everything going to go smoothly and im not going to mess any of it up*knock on wood* x100
Unread 12-12-2015, 04:43 AM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

While your at it, grab that underhood work light from the engine bay of the Chevy pickup you took the wiring harness from, it's by the battery. They are good option to mount in a CJ engine bay.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

Great progress so far! That's a TON of work. Thanks for posting pictures and keep up the good work!
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #12
MechroMenace

Thanks for the support guys, and i'll maybe go back to the junkyard and get that I am debating whether or not I want to reprogram the ecm or just go back and swap computers with a s10 with a 4.3.

Today I ended up getting the axle installed to the frame with the steering box and the motor and transmission installed along with the distributor and wires. and I soaked the steering shaft in some vinegar which did a good job removing rust so i'll be taking the scotch bright and vinegar to clean the rest of it. I'm also going to be picking up the rear end tomorrow from the shop but all they did was order parts for me and said install it yourself and they keep referring to the parts as shims which will be maddening if that is case because shims won't do me any good for one piece axles i need spacers! But the guy said hes installed one piece axles before on jeeps so i'm hoping it got mistranslated somewhere.

Last edited by MechroMenace; 12-15-2015 at 11:15 AM..
MechroMenace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #13
MechroMenace

So i didn't get too much done today, just painted the steering shaft and clutch cover, installed the starter, and got part of a brake line started. I did pick up the rear axle and told them to send the shims back so much for the guy saying hes installed several one piece axles on jeep no problem. so instead of working on the jeep I spent a few hours looking for some parts which I finally found after talking to summits tech guys and it so happens that they had mis-categorized the spacers and press rings. they had the spacers labeled as being used for a AMC 35 axle, and the press rings were labeled as a being used for a Dana 20 axle, so I have the right parts on there way along with a new power steering line that was seized into the old gear box and a couple K&N oil filters for my dads cummins and like 4 for my s10 figured might as well get free shipping right? also got a new rubber boot for the steering shaft and a fuel pump block off plate so i could finishing sealing up the block since the paper towel isn't going to be a permanent seal for that hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.