restoration -- HOLES & parts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > restoration -- HOLES & parts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Bip
1976 CJ5 

restoration -- HOLES & parts

OK, so I have a 1976 CJ5 Jeep. I love it.
The owners before me put a nice, swing-out rack on the back for the spare. Holes on the right rear, where the spare first was, remain.
I also recently bought a new pair of visors to install (the old ones are gone; the new ones are made for this year of Jeep, I'm told) but they don't fit. Well, they would fit if I drill new holes (the original holes are about 18 inches apart; the new ones are about 14 inches apart).
I even have a great looking firewall/dash with nice gauges, most of which work. BUT someone previously mounted something horizontal -- not sure what -- above the speedometer. Whatever it was is gone and four small holes remain.
QUESTIONS: What do you do about all the holes? I don't want to fill them and have to sand and paint the truck. Do you install the visors, drilling new holes? If not, how do you find "stock" or original parts like that? What does everyone else do?

Bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I got rid of many excess holes by welding them closed then body work and paint.

Otherwise could be a difficult task.

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Stick those little umbrellas, that they put in foo foo drinks, in the holes. It makes your rig very festive.

Daisies are nice, too, but they don't last as long.

Replacement visors can be found at all the common 4x4 retailers.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
RJEngel7
1978 CJ7 

For the visors, just twist and push or pull the brackets to line up the holes.
RJEngel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Short of dismantling your Jeep, you may want to go into a decent hardware store. Sometimes in the Mom & Pops there is a Fastener section. You're looking for a real Fastener section where you can buy a nut or bolt by the each or even by the pound. If you can find a shop with one of these, you'll find all kinds of stuff like knobs for radios, bushings, springs, etc. Look around and more than likely you will find all sorts of plastic hole plugs in various sizes. Most of them can be painted to match your dash. No, they won't make the holes go away, but they will be plugged and your mind will tend to dismiss the plugs as "belonging there" as opposed to "what's missing?" You may need to drill out some holes just a bit to find a plug that fits.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

A friend of mine just put stainless hardware in the spots where he was missing stuff. Looks ok too.

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i would keep the spare tire mounting holes and fill them with the proper size studs and lug nuts. never hurts to have spares and that way you can always return it to factory if you decide to restore it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.