Restoration gurus get in here! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Restoration gurus get in here!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

That link actually stresses WASHING SODA (Sodium Carbonate) and not baking soda (Sodium BI-Carbonate).

Most don't make the distinction.

There are some other things that make the process better, like heating up the water before you mix in the sodium carbonate so it completely dissolves,
Making sure you have all the grease/oil off the piece you are trying to restore...

And using stainless rods instead of common iron or low grade steel rods...
Those large stainless screws sold at lumber yards for barn building work pretty good for cheap...
(Stainless isn't ever cheap, but these are cheaper source of stainless than a lot of other stuff you might find)

Long soak time at LOW AMPERAGE works better than throwing a ton of amperage at it and expecting faster results.

This is the best kept secret in restorations, It's been around FOREVER, but so very few people seem to know about it....

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
mscout118
1983 CJ7 

Keep all the info flowing in guys! Im going thru the forum and when I see a tip, hint or procedure Im printing it out and putting it in a binder. I started this because I was looking for something specific and ended up hours later on a totally different topic and forgot what I was originally searching for

The only problem? STILL havent been able to pick up the CJ yet......

Later
Duke
mscout118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

cold tablets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always2L8 View Post
If you're in no hurry to remove rust, this works well for smaller parts. Use a bigger tub for larger parts.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/

Does a meth lab and or grow house count as a second job?
I need 5k cold tab for the Thanksgiving Batch (tm). AND you gotta sign for every box! By the time I get battery acid, alum oxide, peroxide, benzene etc...
Get your orders in early. Last years went fast. Get a free tooth-brush and zinc/acetone toothpaste free w/every purchase this year!
BTW: RENT or better yet, use a foreclosed home for a "grow house". By the time our slow butt gov't gets it to auction, you'll have at least 2 crops drying!
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #19
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Buy a book. Buy tools as necessity dictates. No sense in spending a bunch of up front money on a project that life may prolong beyond your plans.
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #20
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
That link actually stresses WASHING SODA (Sodium Carbonate) and not baking soda (Sodium BI-Carbonate).

Most don't make the distinction.

There are some other things that make the process better, like heating up the water before you mix in the sodium carbonate so it completely dissolves,
Making sure you have all the grease/oil off the piece you are trying to restore...

And using stainless rods instead of common iron or low grade steel rods...
Those large stainless screws sold at lumber yards for barn building work pretty good for cheap...
(Stainless isn't ever cheap, but these are cheaper source of stainless than a lot of other stuff you might find)

Long soak time at LOW AMPERAGE works better than throwing a ton of amperage at it and expecting faster results.

This is the best kept secret in restorations, It's been around FOREVER, but so very few people seem to know about it....
Be careful using stainless. Hexavalent chromium can be a concern. It's bad stuff.

But yeah, it's a good trick. I built a tub to do parts. I used re-bar for my array. I've also cleaned a crusty muzzleloader bore this way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.