restoration expert - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > restoration expert

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
firejeep33
2006 TJ Wrangler 

restoration expert

hey everyone i am asking this question for a buddy of mine. He has a 79 cj that is in need of a total frame off restoration. He wants to know if there is a company or guy who is the best in the business. He stated that he wants it back to factory and wants to just drop it off and pick it up when its done. He is located in the midwest but doesn't mine driving if need be. Thanks

Unread 06-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Take it to Collins Brothers in Texas, but be sure to pack his wallet.
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

May as well have him pack your wallet, too firejeep.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
firejeep33
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Collins brothers is who I thought of first. I was hoping someone a little closer to Illinois and a little cheaper but you get what you pay for
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

He is looking at a lot of money anyway he goes honestly even if it was not Collins there are lots of man hours and paint and body which I am sure hopefully he has considered. Heck I would think he is looking at lowball 10000 to 25000 high and heck it may go more LOL If I had the money yeah it would be great but alas momma keeps a tight leash

I have restored a few British cars and motorcycles just lots of work and I farm out paint and body.
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Check out Rudy's CJ. He has a website and does great work.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Honestly, there are lots of shops that can do the job. You don't really need someone who specializes in Jeeps. Metal work is metal work, body work is body work, auto restoration is auto restoration.

Nothing unique to a Jeep about it, especially if all he wants is what is already there to simply be like new.

A quick Google found American Auto Restoration right there in Illinois. Been doing it since 1979.

Custom Classics is another on in Illinois that looks good.

Midwest Hot Rods is another.

And there were more. Check these out, and Google "Illinois auto restoration" for more. Skip the Collins Brothers. Nothing wrong with them or against them, they do great work...but they don't do anything that any great restoration shop can't do just as well or even better.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65 View Post
He is looking at a lot of money anyway he goes honestly even if it was not Collins there are lots of man hours and paint and body which I am sure hopefully he has considered. Heck I would think he is looking at lowball 10000 to 25000 high and heck it may go more LOL If I had the money yeah it would be great but alas momma keeps a tight leash

I have restored a few British cars and motorcycles just lots of work and I farm out paint and body.
If he wants it right, like you described, 25k is your low end. 10k won't get it half done.

He'd spend 15k or more doing it himself.
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
kyrubicon
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejeep33 View Post
hey everyone i am asking this question for a buddy of mine. He has a 79 cj that is in need of a total frame off restoration. He wants to know if there is a company or guy who is the best in the business. He stated that he wants it back to factory and wants to just drop it off and pick it up when its done. He is located in the midwest but doesn't mine driving if need be. Thanks
Go to V3 jeep in Louisville KY. They do about three frame off jeeps at a time and look amazing when done. In their showroom I think there's two or three cj's that will blow your mind. At least give them a call and check out the website. You won't be disappointed.
kyrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrubicon

Go to V3 jeep in Louisville KY. They do about three frame off jeeps at a time and look amazing when done. In their showroom I think there's two or three cj's that will blow your mind. At least give them a call and check out the website. You won't be disappointed.
X2, I was in V3 last week. Very nice shop and they had several restorations going on that were amazing. Very friendly staff and a very clean shop. Worth a call for sure. Rob
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

I agree Pacfan just trying to be conservative LOL
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
palmtreejeeper
1984 CJ7 

The "Toybox" here in Daytona specializes in Jeep CJ's. Pete restores only CJ's and does a great job. Nice family run business and the guys in his shop were very helpful with my 84 CJ and dads 71 CJ5. Look up his site and he breaks down the pricing to what you want done. http://toyboxjeeps.com/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.