To respring or new spring? that is the Q - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > To respring or new spring? that is the Q

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #1
NewCJer

To respring or new spring? that is the Q

If any have read my earlier post (advice needed) you know that I have inherited an 86 CJ that has set up awhile.

Here's a new question. The front driver's side spring is bent (only the lowest leaf) right before it attaches to the rear shackle. I don't know whether I should buy new springs or have the existing ones rearched. (I'm not trying to add lift). The springs are rusty (its a jeep) but seem to be structurely sound. I also plan to replace shocks along with this. Any advice out there as to the performance of resprung leafs to new ones and expirences you've had would be appreciated.

NewCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2002, 12:42 AM   #2
dana60cj

Wow, never heard of a spring going from the front to the rear shackle of a Jeep

On a serious note,
Re-arched springs won't last as long as new, or posibly even used springs. My sugestion would be to find a junk yard spring and use the bottom leaf or, order two new front springs, if not four.

Heres a link if you want, they sell stock springs. There are different kinds so count your leafs.
http://www.4wd.com/index.htm
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2002, 04:54 AM   #3
JIM79CJ7

Quote:
Originally posted by dana60cj
Wow, never heard of a spring going from the front to the rear shackle of a Jeep

Maybe he has a shackle reversal ?

JIM :{>

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2002, 02:28 PM   #4
RODDOR

I had the springs rearched on a CJ7. The spring place said that it was common practice to add an extra leaf in the pack to bring the ride height back up. I took the springs off and took them into the place and it cost me about $160.00 for what they called a rearch and ad a leaf. it did ride stiffer and in did give a little lift. They told me that it was more exspensive for them to make or order new stock springs.
RODDOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2002, 03:01 PM   #5
dana60cj

Re: To respring or new spring? that is the Q

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NewCJer

The front driver's side spring is bent (only the lowest leaf) right before it attaches to the rear shackle.
[/QUOTE.

Last edited by dana60cj; 08-25-2002 at 11:28 PM..
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2002, 09:57 PM   #6
CJ7Binger

For what it is worth I just took off my front leafs and had them worked. We rearched and added two leafs. I'm up to eight now. Looks like I am driving a Kenworth. This did the job however and now my jeep sits level (word of caution don't buy a bumper sturdy enough to withstand cannon blasts and then add a winch to it). I think it only cost me about $75.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.