Residual Pressure Valve Removal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Residual Pressure Valve Removal?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
PortlandCJ76
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Residual Pressure Valve Removal?

Hi All,
I'm in the process of doing the Chevy disc brake conversion on my 1976 CJ-7 (Dana 30). I've read a lot of online stuff, and they say you need to remove the "residual pressure valve". But they don't explain how it's done.

Could someone please tell me how to remove the residual pressure valve? Thank you!

PortlandCJ76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

The proportioning/combination valve in mounted on the inside of the frame on the drivers side just past the firewall. Follow the brake lines from the master cylinder down to the valve. The valve has five lines going to it, two from the master cylinder, one each from the front brakes, and one line running back to the rear axle that gets split in two on top of the axle to feed both drum brakes in the rear.

The residual pressure valve is part of the proporting/combination valve, so you have to change out the entire valve with one that is set for front disk, rear drum. I got mine out of a wrangler.

I also had to replace the brake lines as I had to cut them to remove the original valve, the fittings were rusted to the lines and valve.

Brakes work much better with the disk conversion, I also replaced the master cylinder with a more powerfull MC made for front disk brakes.

Next I will most likely add the wrangler power booster to finish this brake job.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
PortlandCJ76
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks jfwireless. I'm still a bit confused here. I'm not trying to deny what you stated, but the tech articles online give me the impression that the residual pressure valve is somewhere in the master cylinder as described in www.earlycj5.com.
Unread 08-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandCJ76
Thanks jfwireless. I'm still a bit confused here. I'm not trying to deny what you stated, but the tech articles online give me the impression that the residual pressure valve is somewhere in the master cylinder as described in www.earlycj5.com.
If you have a 1976 CJ7, I do not believe you have an early CJ5. My understanding is early CJ would be up to 1975. The CJ7 came oput in 1976.

I have a 1976 CJ7 and the Porportioning valve is as described above.

Jim
Unread 08-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwireless
My understanding is early CJ would be up to 1975.

Cut the proportioning valve out of the frame, replace with new brake lines and a later model disc/drum unit. In addition to the Wranglers mentioned, I've robbed two off of XJ Cherokees with excellent results, and they're usually cheaper/easier to find.

The residual pressure valves mentioned in the article are those such as the Wilwood unit that put a constant 2psi on the calipers. It makes it so that, if you are on an incline and fluid runs back into the MC, you will still have brakes on the first pump, vice having to pump twice.

Cherokee proportioning valve (toward the left of the pic):

Residual pressure valve:
Unread 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
PortlandCJ76
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again jfwireless! I guess in my over-eagerness I skipped over some of the finer details. Thank you jayhwakclint for your excellent response as well.

If I get a proportioning valve of a Wrangler (I'll probably wind up buying a new one b/c no wrecking yards around me have any Wranglers), does it matter if it's power or manual brakes? My 76 Cj7 has manual brakes.

What year Wrangler should I look for? YJ??
Unread 08-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
PortlandCJ76
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What year XJ should I look for? Thank you
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
What year XJ should I look for? Thank you
Pretty much any non-abs model year will work, so mainly in the '84-'95ish range. Most of the older Cherokees mounted the proportioning valve right up by the MC, so just take a pair of heavy snips with you; couple quick cuts and it's loose.
Unread 08-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

The residual pressure valve referenced in most of the "How to" articles on disc brakes is normally a brass spring loaded affair in one of the master cylinder ports. It is visible if the adapter fitting and brake line is removed from the master cylinder. It is not a part of all master cylinders, many do not use it. To remove it screw a sheet metal screw into it and pull it out with a pair of pliers.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks again jfwireless! I guess in my over-eagerness I skipped over some of the finer details. Thank you jayhwakclint for your excellent response as well.

If I get a proportioning valve of a Wrangler (I'll probably wind up buying a new one b/c no wrecking yards around me have any Wranglers), does it matter if it's power or manual brakes? My 76 Cj7 has manual brakes.

What year Wrangler should I look for? YJ??
I got one right here on this forum in the part out section. No need to worry about year, just make sure it has front disk, rear drum and is non abs. I got mine for $15 on the part out section. Just PM one of the guys parting out a wrangler and ask for the proportioning valve.

Jim
Unread 08-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
PortlandCJ76
2001 TJ Wrangler 

RSV removal update

Yes, I'm a newbie and it shows. So I shoved a sheet metal screw into the front port of the master cyl on my '76 CJ-7, pulled out the tube seat, but found no residual pressure valve (my shop manual calls them "residual check valves").

The diagram of the "typical dual piston master cylinder" on pg. 9-12 in my shop manual shows the check valves.

BUT, I overlooked the italic writing in the text that states "On 1976 and later models there are no check valves." The tube seat that I pulled out is pretty goobered, and the parts store here in my town doesn't sell them; even their rebuild kits for the '76 don't have them. So, I ended up buying a reman master cylinder for $35. Good news is that I bought one for a 1977 which is meant for front disc/rear drum. I'm seeking a proportioning valve off a used Wrangler.

I'm humbled. Thanks guys.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.