replacing turn signal switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > replacing turn signal switch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
seabass1858
CJ Literate

1983 CJ7 

replacing turn signal switch

Are there any surprises that I may run into while replacing my turn signal switch on my non-tilt column or is it pretty straight forward with the steering wheel puller and lock plate press tool? Also while im in there I will grease the upper steering column bearing.

seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
Are there any surprises that I may run into while replacing my turn signal switch on my non-tilt column or is it pretty straight forward with the steering wheel puller and lock plate press tool? Also while im in there I will grease the upper steering column bearing.
Standard GM model from the 1980s. Just keep tract of the springs and which way the horn contact assembly is oriented.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

There are subtle alignment marks you should note as you take it apart but otherwise it's pretty straight forward. Take pictures.

This also lines up the horn ring slot

The lock ring plate also has spines to align it up to the shaft. It can be forced on the wrong way and then your horn contact won't be installed properly

Here is the horn contact missing the contact button.

The hazard button unscrews and not pull apart as they often do.

You might want to tie a string around your old electrical connection before you pull it out to make it easier to pull the new plug back down.

Write "TOP" on the horn plate before you take it out so you know which way is up. If you mount it upside down, your horn will randomly sound.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
TaylorCJ5
1976 CJ5 

Thanks John, I think I know why my horn randomly goes off now.
TaylorCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
seabass1858
CJ Literate

1983 CJ7 

Thank you
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.