Replacing Tub - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing Tub

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-30-2002, 12:23 AM   #1
Pat

Replacing Tub

Hi,
Im looking to purchase a 1972 CJ5. If I purchase it I will need to replace the tub. Is this do-able by someone who is reasonably mechanically inclined? Any information regarding this subject will be greatly appreciated. Pat

Last edited by Pat; 09-30-2002 at 12:26 AM..
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 07:08 AM   #2
RockJeep
SirRocks'A'Lot

time will depend on tools you have, type of body your replacing it with, experience, etc. Fiberglass replacement will obviously be more time due to having to find new grounds for all your wires and more. if you've got a new or used metal tube then it'll be probably go quicker. also like most projects things will occur that you didn't plan on, like new body mounts/bushings might be needed, electrical wires, etc. you'll need to remove your fenders from the tub, your windsheild, roll bar, dash and guages wiring harness, steering column, all interior components, brake lights, etc. if your good i'd say a weekend to tear it apart and another to put it back together,(assuming your good and quick)
later
bob
Unread 09-30-2002, 02:17 PM   #3
DaveFL

I looked at replacement tubs for my 81 Cj5, but after all the problmes I had with aftermarket Fenders and Hoods I decided Real quick to just repair the rust spots in my tub.

I would suggest trying to salvage your exhisting tub if at all possible. Dont know if I would go with a aftermarket metal tub, I have heard horror stories about them, but Im not a big fan of Fiberglass either.

As for how hard to do? Well I went into my project with minor mechanical knowledge, and Im moving along with a fram up Resto. Ive had my share and some more problems but so far Ive gotten more help from people on this board than anywhere else. It's not easy, and certianly not cheep but the reward will be well worth it.

Good luck
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.