Replacing Starter: tips or tricks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing Starter: tips or tricks?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 07-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

Replacing Starter: tips or tricks?

Putting a new starter in when I get home from work today, curious if anyone has any advice to make this a smoother/easier job before I go diving under the hood.

Tnx in advance!

wingedmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
jomps

haha yeah: hold the starter up with one hand when taking the second bolt out
jomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
CJ7VFR

If your starter is original, or its been replaced, but is using the original bolts, then
don't be surprised when you see what the heads of the bolts look like!

The original bolts use a star shaped head on them, similar to the shape of a torx
head on a screw.

They will have a 6 points star shape, with the washer built into the head of
the bolt.

You can use a 6 point socket on them if you find one that the star shape will fit into,
but be careful that you don't stripe the heads. I think a 3/8 6 point socket will fit it.

Now, if your starter has been replaced along the line, it may have had the bolts
replaced with long hex heads, so you might not run into the star shaped ones.

Either way, the bolts are LONG, and take alot of turning to get them out. So be
patient.

There should also be one small bracket attached to the front of the starter, that uses
an actual hex head bolt to bolt it to the engine block.

You can loosen that one up, but don't take it all the way out. Then take the two long
bolts out, and do as jomps said, and HOLD it up when you remove that second long
bolt.

If you leave the front hex head in place, the starter will drop about a half inch and
the bendix gear will rest on the hole in the plate that covers the front of the trans
where the starter goes in.

You can then get a better grip on the starter, loosen the hex head, and move the starter
away from the trans slightly, and drop it down and out.

Be careful! The starter is heavy, and if you don't get a good grip on it, it can cause you
some serious pain if it drops down on you!

For the installation, you can do the reverse of the removal. Place the bendix gear into the hole
in the trans cover, and loosely install the hex head to the engine block, then install the two long
bolts, then tighten the hex head.

Oh, and absolutely remember, before you do a single thing, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY
TERMIAL AND THEN THE CABLE THAT MOUNTS TO THE STARTER!

You don't need a nasty electrical burn to spoil the rest of your summer!

Jim
CJ7VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

Awsome! is there anything more specific on how tight the bolts need to be? I will have a look at the bolts today before I start anything with it.
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
CJ7VFR

If your Jeep still has the star shaped bolts, then if you want to torque them, you will
need the proper star shaped socket. If you just use the regular 6 point, and you try
to torque the bolts, you may end up rounding out the star shaped head, and then
you will have a really hard time removing it in the future!

Using the 6 point socket, make it tight, but not super tight. I know thats vague, but
its kind of like when you replace spark plugs. You make them snug, and then give them
another quarter turn of the ratchet. Thats how I have been doing mine the last two times
I had to replace my starter on my 1985 CJ-7.

Make sure you come back and let us know how it went! And take some pics if you can,
so we can see your progress, and also for anyone else who needs to replace their starter, they
can use your pics as a guide.

Jim
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
ralf
1947 CJ2A 

First, do not dive under the hood. Crawl under and look up
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
tigercreek

1984 CJ7 

When I had to replace mine I replaced it with a Mean Green starter. A lot smaller with a lot more torque.
Unread 07-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

OK! Got the Starter off, it has hex head bolts so easy as pie. HOWEVER, the thing nearly fell into two pieces as I took it off!! Goes to show the good engineering when somehow it was still turning over. The nut securing it to the bracket however is MIA. But not a big deal as I am taking a break to feed horses and take the old starter back to Napa. I'll be back to let u know how th rest goes!

Oh, and I must say the husband is be so great about handing me tools and standing back to let me go at it.
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

Second update! SHE'S ALL DONE! Sorry, no pictures to be had. But I got home and slid under my girl and was done in about twenty minutes. Add another ten to swap out the Neg battary cable, and in 30 min I was giggling my butt off when I turned the key and she fired up like a beast! Of course we went for a celebratory bump through the desert afterwards.

I want to thank CJ7VFR for breaking it down Barney Style for me. After reading that I took one look and understood what I was putting my hands on. The only thing I would add for someone else doing this for the first time is be ready with the biggest rachet you can get your mits on, it took a good sized rachet and my scrawny butt bracing on the frame and lots of muscle to get the bolts loose from the starting being such a mess and pulling down on an angle. But, that was the only trouble I had.

Next project is new shocks and steering damper. Stand by for a new thread to figure those out. I figure by now I'm either driving you guys nuts or amusing you, regardless, thanks for putting up with me!
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
CJ7VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedmare View Post

I want to thank CJ7VFR for breaking it down Barney Style for me.
I remembered it in detail since I had just done it awhile ago for probably the fourth time or so.

The last time it was because I had to replace the oil pan gasket!

Believe it or not, doing the shocks and steering damper is just about as simple
as the starter was. Probably easier, since you don't have to worry heavy about stuff falling
on you when it comes loose!

Good luck on your projects, and keep us informed how they are going. Its forums
like this, and the questions and answers that get asked and posted about that make
up the basis for the huge amount of info here!

I can not tell you how many times I have searched for something that I thought was
a problem that only I had, and it turns out that alot people had that problem, and they
gave their advice on how to go about fixing the problem. And when they add in pictures,
then it gets even better and easier to figure it out!

Jim
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedmare View Post
Next project is new shocks and steering damper. Stand by for a new thread to figure those out.
Congrats on knocking out two projects! It's a great feeling to make repairs and to hear the engine fire up eagerly.

Here's a very short thread with one or two tips on shock replacement:

I know my shocks are in need of replacement because they're all rusty. I have no idea how old they are or how many miles they have on them.
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #12
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the write up I have to change out my starter after work today (weather permitting) and this write up although simple is useful information. If anyone would like I can take pictures to supplement these directions, just let me know.
blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

Thanks for the link!! Just waiting for Pay day to hit so I can hit the parts store. And YES, that IS a great feeling when she turns over so fast and easy and knowing I DID IT!!

I'll start photographing my endevours too. I'm sure as a female I have to attack things a bit differently as I lack the brut strength. For example slidding the jack up under the starter so it had more support than just me trying to lower it while messing with that last/first bolt.

I put a picture of her up in my thread about my alternator by the way!
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk51 View Post
If anyone would like I can take pictures to supplement these directions, just let me know.
If you don't mind doing photos, I'm sure they would be helpeful to many folks down the line. Every CJ is going to need a new starter at some point. It seems like a simple procedure but having photos is always great for people who are visually oriented.
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
If you don't mind doing photos, I'm sure they would be helpeful to many folks down the line. Every CJ is going to need a new starter at some point. It seems like a simple procedure but having photos is always great for people who are visually oriented.
No problem, if the weather permits I will try to have a write-up with some pictures tonight when I do mine.
blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter , replace , removal , install , cj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.