replacing shackle bushings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > replacing shackle bushings

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-25-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
daoliv

replacing shackle bushings

I am replacing my rear shackle and leaf spring bushings in my 1986 CJ-7. I took evrything down and bought new grade 8 - 1/2" bolts. I am using Energy Suspension poly bushings and with the new bolt there is no room for the metal tube that goes between the bolt and the poly bushing. Is it necessary to use the metal tube that would go between the bushing and the bolt. The kit that I bought did not come with them and the bolts that I bought fit it perfectly.

Thanks,
David

daoliv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:56 AM   #2
purplewg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoliv
I am replacing my rear shackle and leaf spring bushings in my 1986 CJ-7. I took evrything down and bought new grade 8 - 1/2" bolts. I am using Energy Suspension poly bushings and with the new bolt there is no room for the metal tube that goes between the bolt and the poly bushing. Is it necessary to use the metal tube that would go between the bushing and the bolt. The kit that I bought did not come with them and the bolts that I bought fit it perfectly.

Thanks,
David
Yeah, you need the stell sleeves or the bolts will eat up the inside of the bushings. I just got my "master" set of bushings yesterday to discover they did not supply these. The note says something like "as required". I did get the sleeves with the larger 1/2" bushings. I am looking now for a source and if I find one I will let you know. If you find one please let me know.
purplewg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
daoliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewg
Yeah, you need the stell sleeves or the bolts will eat up the inside of the bushings. I just got my "master" set of bushings yesterday to discover they did not supply these. The note says something like "as required". I did get the sleeves with the larger 1/2" bushings. I am looking now for a source and if I find one I will let you know. If you find one please let me know.
I spoke with the guys at our local shop today (4-Wheel Parts Performance Center)and they said as long as the bolt is not threaded all the way then the sleeve is not required. He said as long as you do not have more than an inch of thread where the bushing is it would be okay.
Unread 05-26-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
purplewg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoliv
I spoke with the guys at our local shop today (4-Wheel Parts Performance Center)and they said as long as the bolt is not threaded all the way then the sleeve is not required. He said as long as you do not have more than an inch of thread where the bushing is it would be okay.
You were able to get a 1/2" bolt through the smaller bushings? I think my smaller bushings use a 3/8" bolt. I didn't check to see if a 1/2" would fit through them without a sleeve in them though. Will the 1/2" bolt fit through the shackles? I am going down at lunch today to see if I can find some steel tubing that size and make my own. I guess if the bolt has little or no slop in the bushing it might be ok....
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
purplewg

Quote:
You were able to get a 1/2" bolt through the smaller bushings? I think my smaller bushings use a 3/8" bolt. I didn't check to see if a 1/2" would fit through them without a sleeve in them though. Will the 1/2" bolt fit through the shackles? I am going down at lunch today to see if I can find some steel tubing that size and make my own. I guess if the bolt has little or no slop in the bushing it might be ok....
Just a follow up. I went down to our local Tractor Supply at lunch and picked up 4 feet of 1/2" OD tubing for ~$5. I took in one of the old sleeves and checked it against it for ID and OD. It is perfect. I will fire up the chop saw tonight and make mine. If you are not in a hurry and want some let me know how many you need and will cut some up for you and send them along. How's that for group support.
Unread 05-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #6
daoliv

Quote:
The 1/2" bolt goes through the bushing perfectly. If you can't fing the sleeve you can try it without the sleeve but you may have to drill out the sides of the shackle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.