replacing rear liftgate glass help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > replacing rear liftgate glass help

Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-04-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
salematv

replacing rear liftgate glass help

need to replace tha glass in my liftgate. any one know of any tricks on how to do this??? thanks

salematv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
justlookin

Not trying to be cocky but if you search {google maybe} they have some tips on installing glass on alot of vehicles.Ive heard some dishwashing liquid and some string will go a long way.Ive never done it as a freind is an auto glass installer so I call him when need be.Also it may be cheaper to have someone install it rather than break the glass.I try to do everything myself but sometimes you need some help.If my friend didnt install glass I would probably have done it myself but I guess I am lucky when it comes to glass.The worst/best part for me is he will not take any money from me even though I have tried numerous times.Search for Glass and Rope it may help.Good luck
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

The rear glass is about 10 times harder to remove than the side glass. It comes out toward the outside and I used LOTS of wooden clothes pin halfs to act as wedges and apply EVEN pressure across the top to start the process. BE real carefull to apply even pressure, and NOT flex the glass or it will break. I believe the seal comes off with the glass like the others, but not 100%....trying to remember.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
jeepping

A strong cord or coated wire will work, stick it in one end and with one end on the outside and one end on the inside (possible 2 person job) slowly work (pull) your way along the seal. This will slowly pull the seal off of the lip, continue all the way around and windshield will pop out. Go easy with the wedging method (might be necessary on stubborn windows) but it won't take much to crack it.
jeepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
salematv

i have the old glass out and the frame is on my kitchen table just need to figure out how to get the new glass in..
salematv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.