Replacing radiator with Thermostat questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing radiator with Thermostat questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Replacing radiator with Thermostat questions

Hey all!

I have a leaky radiator (crazy for a 28 year old CJ7, I know!). I plan to replace it Friday. It looks pretty straightforward- a few bolts and change out a few hoses (though let me know if I'm missing something!)

In reading the forums, everyone says I should go ahead and change the thermostat while I'm at it. I'm a newbie, so I'm having trouble figuring out where that part is (anyone have pictures?) and how hard is it to install correctly. I'm confident the PO did almost no work under the hood for 12 years, so I'm not confident any of the hoses/wires are connected properly at this point (recently found out he just took out the PCV valve out of the valve cover in the back years ago, so there was oil just spashing onto the wires and hoses near the firewall at that open hole).

Also- I'm reading the thermostat may possibly be the reason why my heater doesn't work? It blows air, just not warm/hot air. Not 100% sure how they interact.

Any tips and/or photos for a thermostat change would be great! Thanks!

AlexThePhotoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think this will help you.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Here's a picture of the thermostat housing. It's the brighter blue fitting with the two hoses attached. With the manual that you were linked to, you should be on your way...

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Thanks! Hoping this fixes my heater problem too, but I'm sure there's something else going on....
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Another question: Is the thermostat in any way related to the Engine Temp gauge on the speedo? I ask because both the Engine Temp and Fuel Level needles don't work and I have no idea how to fix the temp one (I assume dropping the gas tank and getting a new sending unit is likely the culprit for the gas gauge). If the thermostat is not what controls the gauge on the speedo, any tips on what I should check/fix?

Thanks!
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
CSP

No, the thermostat doesn't have any direct link to the gauges working or not.

There's a troubleshooting page for gauges posted in several places on the web. It's very thorough. Google can find it for you quite easily.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexThePhotoGuy View Post
Also- I'm reading the thermostat may possibly be the reason why my heater doesn't work? It blows air, just not warm/hot air. Not 100% sure how they interact.
A thermostat that is stuck open can cause that. Or none at all. Or if the heater core is corroded. But, since you have a rad leak, low radiator levels will also cause the heater to stop working.

A good test with it running is if the heater hoses are hot, warm or cool.
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Your heater hoses may not even be hooked up to the heater core. Pictures of the engine will help out a lot.
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

Here are two pics I took the other day. I am a newbie and have no idea how the hoses are supposed to be hooked up just yet.
e1.jpg   e2.jpg  
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
AlexThePhotoGuy
1985 CJ7 

In the end, all went well. Had a couple of panic moments as seen here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/he...00/?highlight=

But done now. Next project is sparks and TeamRush!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.