Replacing power steering pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing power steering pump

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

Replacing power steering pump

I have a '78 cj and and a '74 j10. Ive always wanted to get one of those suped up agr super pumps and steering boxes for my cj. The combo of the two cost about $800, which isnt my budget. My j10 needs a new pump, the front pulley wobbles and it leaks out fluid. I cant get a pump from any of the local parts stores, so I had an idea. Take the good pump and reservoir from my cj and put on the truck, and order a new agr pump and use the reservoir from the truck and put on the cj. The problem is that when I was looking at the pumps on 4wd.com, its recommended to use a new pump with a new box. Is this just a gimmick to get me to buy a new box or is there a valid reason to do so. Also what are some comments about agr steering components. Are they worth the price, or just over hyped?

big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
CSP

There's no need to replace both when one or the other needs replacement.

AGR's quality isn't what it used to be. Look into PSC, which is the company now owned by the guy who started AGR and sold it years ago.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
babytank31
1978 CJ5 

Ask them to provide you with tech specs like fluid requirements, meaning does the new one require more fluid to operate than the amount a jeep pump can deliver. Also ask about drive pulley size. Sounds like you have a lot of spare time on your hands. Do you want to buy a couple of kids instead? They have a way of making things so they really are in desperate need of being repaired. Lol.
babytank31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
bptactical

Power steering systems are a non filtered system. Meaning any dirt that gets into it just recirculates and is never removed. A 30 year old system has a ton of crap in it.
Now you go buy your nice high end pump do you really want any crud from your stock box going through it at 1500 p.s.i.?
That is the same thinking behind replacing a torque converter on a new tranny.
No matter how much you flush it, you will never get ALL of the debris out.
bptactical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Put a magnefine filter in the return line.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Buy a pulley removal/install tool kit. Best $30 I ever spent.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

I hadnt thought of it not being filtered. I guess I'll try find a used one, or fix the bad one.
big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.