From replacing oil pump to full rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > From replacing oil pump to full rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

86' 304 rebuild

Well what started off as a simple task has now turned into alot bigger one. I started off by having low oil pressure and figured i would just replace the oil pump and see if that helped. Well as everyone knows as soon as you start to tear into something it never ends, nothing was different in this case. When i removed the oil pump housing i found the oil pump housing to be pretty rough. I attempted to smooth the burs down and install the pump. With everything reinstalled i still had minimal oil pressure. So after seeing this i figured hey maybe there could be something clogging the pick up, and boy was i ever right. After removing the oil pan i soon realized that the PO had used nothing but RTV to seal the oil pan which of course was all laying in the bottom of the pan and sucked up into the pickup filter .

After finding all this great news i decided since i was down there anyway i might as well pull off a few of the bearing caps to see how they were looking. Well as you can guess nothing but more bad news. The PO had told me that this motor was recently rebuilt but by the look of the bearings it looked as though it was a 120k mile motor. So after all finding all this i decided i might as well pull the motor and transmission and do a full rebuild on both. Which i have been wanting to do since i bought it I only bought the jeep for $1000 so i kinda figured i would have to do something to it. It drove 1500 miles or so since i bought it a month and a half ago, it has also been on 3 wheeling trips.

After i had pulled everything out i proceeded to dissemble the motor just waiting for more good news. It turns out that the PO was correct about the rebuild because the cylinders are bored .030 over and they still have a nice cross hatch in them and the pistons look to be in excellent shape also. So im going to venture to say that running the motor with low oil pressure (10-20psi) is what took out the bearings.

Due to the condition the cylinders are in i have decided to do just a re ring (with all new bearings and seals of course) and add a nice cam and probably an intake as well. So heres the exciting process.

After motor was removed and everything was pressure washed

More to come, the crank is at the machine shop as i speak getting turned. Whats a good color to do the motor?

85' CJ7 Project "Bentsome"
In Progress

Last edited by locked-up-XJ; 03-13-2010 at 10:17 PM..
locked-up-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ford blue would be my choice for color.
Unread 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
nelli82669
1983 CJ7 

LOL - I started out replacing a corroded battery cable on my son's jeep (to get it ready for my youngest boy)... now it sits in my garage with the front end held up with his Hi-Jack as there is nothing left forward of the firewall other than the frame. The good news is that there's nothing left to remove so the only thing left to do is start putting the pieces back together!
nelli82669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Wow man you work fast!

How much did they have to take off the crank?

I went with a red / black combo.. I think it looks pretty sharp.
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would be 'really' worried about clogged up oil passages from your description. RTV can be nasty stuff. If the crank bearings burned out on a fresh rebuild, that implies oil starvation to me, more starvation than 20 psi will give.

You also might want to stay far far away from fram oil filters, they have a recall out for bad drainback valves that cause dry engine starts.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
SavannahCJ
1984 CJ7 

Wow, that a sweet looking motor. My 258 also suffers from low oil pressure (around 3-5 psi when warm and at idle). My rear main seal was leaking so I dropped the pan, replaced the oil pump and then tackled the seal. My buddy was helping me out and pointed out some "issues" when we removed the bearing cap to replace the seal. I quote:

"You see the brass colored discoleration, that's not too good. You see all those little scratches, that really not good. You see those gouges, well that's just bad."

Needless to say, we replaced the seal and put everything back together. With a new oil pump, I'm still running 3-5 psi at idle when warm. Gonna run it til it blows and drop in a 360.

Good luck with your project and again, that motor really looks good.
1978 CJ-5 (major project)
SavannahCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
86JeepCJ7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
I would be 'really' worried about clogged up oil passages from your description. RTV can be nasty stuff. If the crank bearings burned out on a fresh rebuild, that implies oil starvation to me, more starvation than 20 psi will give.

You also might want to stay far far away from fram oil filters, they have a recall out for bad drainback valves that cause dry engine starts.

Agreed - Purolator oil filters for the long term PureONE filters during the break in period...
86JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Locked,
If you don't mind, would you give me a measurement on your drivetrain from block mounting surface to rear edge of yoke (center of U-joint)

Getting ready to swap a T150 for a TH350 / and maybe a NP205 for a buddy.
Thanks

Project looks great !

Unread 03-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86JeepCJ7 View Post
Agreed - Purolator oil filters for the long term PureONE filters during the break in period...
Hey guys.. I do have that FRAM on there just to keep the dust out
Unread 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid Jeep View Post
Wow man you work fast!

How much did they have to take off the crank?

I went with a red / black combo.. I think it looks pretty sharp.

Hybrid that motor looks awesome i think i may have found my colors already

The crank already had been turned .010 under so the machinist said he could get it all cleaned up by going to .020 there were some nasty groves on it so i hope its ok

and yea it didnt take me very long these things come apart pretty easy. It only took about 3 hours to get it pulled and striped to the block. Were leaving for spring break down in mexico in 2 weeks so i have no time to waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post

I did not know that about FRAMS i will stay away. That was my same thought about the oil passages im really going through everything and checking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
Locked,
If you don't mind, would you give me a measurement on your drivetrain from block mounting surface to rear edge of yoke (center of U-joint)

Getting ready to swap a T150 for a TH350 / and maybe a NP205 for a buddy.
Thanks

Project looks great !

Thanks, It measures 33 1/2"

Also i need to source motor mounts and a harmonic balancer where do you guys suggest getting those?

In Progress
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Your machine shop should be able to get the balancer.. motor mounts.. I'd say NAPA.

You could try blowing out the oil passages.. just remove the plugs.. Or even better.. have the machine shop hot tank the block.
Unread 03-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well today I got lucky and found a guy locally that was parting out a 304. I picked up the timing cover and harmonic balancer for $80 The best part is the guy had just replaced the timing cover 20,000 miles ago with a brand new one so it is in excellent conditon no groves at all.

In Progress
Unread 03-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Nice score on the timing case cover! I'm worried about my re-used cover on my rebuild. I figure I'll just keep a close eye on oil pressure with a drill.. and then on the first start up. I think the 360 should be generating what.. around 40 or 50 psi? Anyone know?

But.. good score man! I'd hate to have to buy a new cover since the harmonic balancer install was such a pain.
Unread 03-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The oil pressure is only a guide as to the tightness of the tolerances on the bits being lubricated and you only see it once the engine is installed. As long as you have enough pressure to keep the metal bits apart the absolute pressure is irrelevant.

When you get the crank back in put all the bearings together with lashings of fresh engine oil. If correctly done the crank should be stiff but turnable by applying pressure to the flywheel (before valve gear etc installed). This will show any issues with tight bearing caps which would lead to premature wear on the caps. At the end of the day the caps are soft metal and scarificial. I had a friend who used to install the con rods upside down intially so he could see how tight they were on the crank before installing them in the block.
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
locked-up-XJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Heres some updates. I have had hell with the machine shop getting my stuff done so i could order my rebuild kit so i finally got the numbers and got the kit ordered but now that pushes me back to getting the kit monday. My deadline for getting this thing running again is this Friday So between being on shift monday and thursday i have 3 days to build the motor, install, build new exhaust and tune the motor This should be interesting and is going to lead to some late nights. Stay tuned as this is going to get interesting.

Today i decided to try and get everything prepped and ready to go when i get the motor done. Heres some pictures of what i got done.

Heres some pictures of the new parts i have gotten.

Heres a sneak peak of the colors i chose

In Progress

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.