Replacing leafsprings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Replacing leafsprings

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
greenmanchew
1979 CJ5 

Replacing leafsprings

I am looking to replace the leafsprings on my old cj, they are stock and sagging a little on the right side. I was wondering if there was another car that had the same pattern as a 79 cj5 in the leafsprings mounting area, something like an old jimmy that would be a little newer but salvageable out of a junkyard. I'm in high school so I'm on a budget and not looking to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars for the price I'm finding for new ones you could easily buy a lift. I searched around and didn't find another thread like this one. Any input is helpfully. Thanks

-Rickey Bobby
1979 CJ-5 stock on 33's
greenmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Nearly all the other vehicles used wider or longer springs. Many of the others only used leaf springs on the rear and then they were flatter because that were SOA.

You can look here ... http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=145&pg=1

but after a quick review I didn't find anything I thought would be worth it due the the conversion required.

You'd be better off finding someone that's wanting to sell stock springs after installing a lift.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
lanecj5
1980 CJ5 

Hey green...I am already putting together my parts to do the same thing.Here is some research I've done on this site and others and from puttin the trusty measuring tape on it.Search "yj to cj leaf spring swap".The rears are direct swaps.The front is not.Your cj leafs are 2" wide on the front and 2.5" on the rear.From what I can tell on the front....I have to remove the 2" shackle hangers and replace them w/ 2.5" rear hangers.The cj shackle can be replaced w/ yj or aftermarket shackles.The front spring plates need to come from a yj BUT you must somehow fab the swaybar mounts because they only have shock mounts.I'm still figuring that out.Thats what I have so far...If I am passing on wrong info someone please post up because I also need to try something different.
lanecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
greenmanchew
1979 CJ5 

Thanks both of you I'll probably look for some one selling some cj springs. The swap ur talking about sounds intriguing but in high school I don't have the time or resources to take on that kind of a job but I will definitely crawl your thread.

-Rickey Bobby
1979 CJ-5 stock on 33's
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Narwhal
1983 CJ7 

You could install add-a-leafs to your spring packs. They will stiffen up your ride but if your stock springs are in that bad of shape they would most likely be an improvement for pretty cheap and give you some decent height.

For these prices and free shipping you probably wouldn't even get shipping on a used set.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...Ntt=Add-A-Leaf

The Unicorn of the Sea
Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
greenmanchew
1979 CJ5 

If my right side is sagging will it even it out or will it just raise it and make it sag a little higher?

-Rickey Bobby
1979 CJ-5 stock on 33's
Unread 02-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmanchew View Post
If my right side is sagging will it even it out or will it just raise it and make it sag a little higher?
It's hard to tell. It could but it depends on why it's lower... spring sag, collapsed body mounts, or both.

To make things clearer, try to use passenger or driver side vs left and right. For instance, is it the right side as viewed from front... or back?

This forum will help you a lot with your project but try to find a Jeep club in your area and look at what they've done and learn from them.

I know most Jeeps in the clubs today don't use leaf springs but there are still a lot of guys that know what to do with them.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Take some pics, sounds like cj lean to me.
Unread 02-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Rumpeltiltskin
1957 CJ6 

X2
Rumpeltiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
greenmanchew
1979 CJ5 

Tryin to figure out how to post pics from the iPhone app.

-Rickey Bobby
1979 CJ-5 stock on 33's
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
John N
1981 CJ8 

The lowest price I've seen on new springs is JC Whitney. The ones they sell for stock replacement used to be pretty decent for low dollars. Whitney offers a lot of discount and free shipping deals, if you watch for them.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget , cj-5 , suspension , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.